"Boyhood"

beethoven
This topic is 3494 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We don't seem to discuss movies much, but I wonder if anyone was as underwhelmed as I was by this movie? It received almost unanimous raves by most critics -- scored 100 on Metacritic, which is amazing for their scoring system. Yes, it's remarkable that a director assembled the same cast from time to time over 12 years, and created a coherent, realistic story of adolescence and parenthood. However, the emotional, touching moments were very few and far between -- is Linklater showing us the banality of existence? I don't think so -- and while I wasn't squirming in my seat, hoping that this would end, I confess that I looked at my watch twice.

Perhaps my expectations were unrealistically high? I'd like to hear what others think.

I still plan to see it. Friends have raved about it, and their opinions are usually in sync with mine. But, Beethoven, it's always different strokes for different folks. If this movie didn't resonate with you, it's no big loss. It's not like you paid $140 for a Broadway show and then didn't like it!

Quite true, FR. (I did pay $137 for "Violet," which was a huge mistake on my part.) I encourage you to see "Boyhood," as so many have liked it so much. I have found a few friends who didn't care that much for it, but an equal number who have. And considering how it was made, it's certainly an achievement worth seeing. I'll be interested in your opinion.

As I was leaving the theatre after having seen this movie, I was wondering why it had generated so much praise. I didn't dislike the movie, but at the same time I wasn't gushing about it. However, after thinking about it I changed my opinion from "so-so" to "wow, that was good". Reflecting on the movie brought into focus the message.

I went to the movie with two other friends, one still says it is overrated, the other is of the same opinion as me.

I found this film to be captivating and deserving of the high praises that it received from professional critics. When folks have asked me for film suggestions, I have said that they "must go see" BOYHOOD! {...don't feel like justifying because I have just returned home from being with lovely high school students for six hours and am too "brain-tired" to compose my rationale!

FWIW, here's a positive review of Boyhood by someone who's not a professional critic that nevertheless suggests why it might not be for everyone. (For one thing, as described, it's very much a slice-of-life movie and thus may strike some people as boring.)

http://theliteraryomnivore.wordpress.com/2014/08/22/at-the-movies-boyhood-2014/

I would have posted this sooner except my internet was out for a couple of days earlier this week because a power surge fried the box that connects to the ISP. The power was only out for an hour, but internet/TV/phone was out for 42 hours. Not the first time internet/TV/phone was out longer than the power, either. Why no, I'm not complaining.

I probably won't see the movie myself, but I thought the review might be useful to those trying to decide whether to see it or not.

Archived