Earthquake

deej
This topic is 3525 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit Napa, CA, around 3:00 A.M. this morning.

Damage is pretty widespread. Fortunately, injuries reported are only minor so far.

I hope any of our members living in the area, or vacationing in the Napa wine country, are OK.

Friends and family in the Bay area felt it, but thankfully no damage or injuries. Prayers to those that suffered damage.

Those are my feelings too!

I hope Congress will step up and fix roads and whatever was damaged, unfortunately I think it will be like hurricane Sandy, "big government" (A.K.A. Fema) has big pockets for conservative states but when something happens in the "blue coast" or in the North East, we have to be for help.

It was substantial enough in San Francisco to have woken me up and went on for long enough to consider getting out

of bed to stand under a door frame. The area where I live is on bedrock (a little north of the castro district).

It wasn't violent enough here to have caused anything to fall off a shelf.

Reports of 3 people in critical condition (nearer the quake); one being a child who was near a collapsed masonry fireplace.

80 people visited the american canyon hospital emergency room; bruises, a couple of broken bones.

A gas main broke in a moblie home park and took out 3 units; nobody hurt there fortunately.

I play in the old-fashioned band concerts in golden gate park; it is still scheduled, but at least 5 of our members

live near the epicenter ... will report later.

For those that don't understand the good fortune to be on bedrock, in Napa (close to the epicenter) there is much construction on soil that is basically deposited silt. That type of soil moves a LOT during an earthquake. In fact, some say it acts almost like liquid.

I'm seeing news footage of a lot of buckled roads. One camera crew followed buckling across the road through several adjacent streets. Imagine what that force did to homes straddling that fault line where the road buckled.

It was substantial enough in San Francisco to have woken me up and went on for long enough to consider getting out

of bed to stand under a door frame. The area where I live is on bedrock (a little north of the castro district).

It wasn't violent enough here to have caused anything to fall off a shelf.

Same experience here. I'm also on bedrock, a few blocks west of Castro Street. Shaking woke me up, dogs barked, that was it.

Very happy that Honcho and Nate are both OK.

T

+1....having been through a couple of SoCal quakes, Including the Northridge quake, where I was only a few miles from the epicenter. it is hard to describe to someone who has not been through one, how unsettling and frightening they can be. My thoughts are with Nate, Honcho, and any and all forum members who reside in the Bay area.

I have a strange relationship to earthquakes. One took place while I was in northern California (the Coalinga earthquake, I believe; this would have been in 1983) and I felt nothing. Another took place back on the East Coast after I'd moved to NJ, and once again I felt nothing. I finally felt a minor tremor or two during the last one I remember hitting the NY metro area. I think the epicenter of that one was in upstate NY. But as a four or five-year-old, I lived through a tornado that caused property damage only, also in upstate NY.

Like everyone else, I'm glad everyone who's reported in from California is okay. From the news reports, few people were injured; the damage seems to be primarily to property. Not that a billion dollars worth of damage is anything to sneeze at.

I woke up feeling my cat jumping up on my bed. Except that my cat passed on nearly twenty years ago. It was such an unmistakable feeling that I figured the little dog next door must have snuck into my house and come to say hello. So I got up and looked in every room and closet. Nada. It wasn't until a few hours later that I learned it was an earthquake.

My house sits on bedrock and the earthquake, centered thirty miles away, translated into a sharp, short vertical movement. Friends who live atop the sand dunes that became Golden Gate Park felt it as a horizontal rolling motion.

Made me realize how much energy there is in a quake this size and how differently that energy can be transferred, and with what varying results, depending on the terrain underneath.

Having experienced the relatively minor Virginia quake three years ago (the one that damaged the Washington Monument), I have a new appreciation for what our California friends go through. I was shelving books in my circa-1908 University office, and the books started flying off the shelf at me. By the time I realized it was an earthquake, it was over! Glad to hear most are safe and sound...

Archived