Those that put themselves in harms way so that the world can see...

bigvalboy

This just continues to be such a tragic event on so many levels. Is it about not dealing with terrorists? Is it about the money? Bombing ISIL certainly cost more than the ransom demanded. The Europeans tend to pay up more than Americans. Frustrating to even contemplate.

http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-interviews-siblings-of-slain-journalist-james-foley-070857840.html

God bless him, and may God bring peace to his family.

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

While I can't imagine the horror of either being in that position or being a family member of someone in that position, but paying ransom does not sound like a good idea to me. The more you pay the more you encourage them to continue kidnapping people. As for using drones, ISIL ( and groups like them) needs to be destroyed. I don't want our military on the ground unless absolutely necessary. But I have no problems with drones being used.

Gman

Gman

In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, The Great Gazoo is always right!!!!

Thank you for the link Gman. It was disturbing, but fascinating.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

FWIW, here's an opinion piece from Slate that does a good job of supporting the thesis that paying ransom leads to more kidnappings and greater demands. I have problems with some of the assertions in the last paragraph, but the rest is enlightening and well-argued.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/08/the_united_states_was_right_to_reject_isis_s_ransom_demands_for_james_foley.html

And here's some reportage from Reuters that puts the death of James Foley and other journalists into historical perspective:

http://blogs.reuters.com/jackshafer/2014/08/20/the-islamic-state-buys-itself-a-day-of-horror-little-else-by-killing-james-foley/

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Both articles were excellent, and while noteworthy and well argued, I felt the Reuters piece was more comprehensive. I am going to do some research tomorrow on the opposing view point. If I find something worthwhile, I will post the link.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

BVB - Ran across another article, this one by a journalist who worked in Iraq for awhile.

Don't Ransom Journalists (Politico)

I appreciate the link quoththeraven. It was interesting hearing the perspective from a journalist who was actually in the war zone and in harms way. I always try to put myself in the position of someone who is about to lose their life, and given my life experiences, I would hope that someone would come forth with a ransom, but as this journalists so clearly points out, I am approaching this with the wrong mindset. I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of life and death that many of these men and women take with them to the front lines. When all is said and done, I think the sacrifice they make, so the world can see, is amazing.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

It is difficult to comprehend these barbaric acts of terror from ISIS. I was touched by the Foley beheading, and now this. Opinions on this subject are varied, but my thoughts go to the families. I just don't know how a parent deals with the death of their child, knowing they died in such a horrific way. I hope that they are able to find peace at some point. God bless them, and may their son rest in peace.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

It is difficult to comprehend these barbaric acts of terror from ISIS.

I'm starting to see news reports saying that ISIS is losing popularity in-country because of the barbarism. In the papers in L.A. we routinely see the phrase "suicide by cop". Here we have "suicide by caliphate".

They desperately want to be martyrs. They want to die in glory and get their 72 virgins. (What happens on the 73rd day?) As much as I'm inclined to grant their wish, a more fitting end would be convicting them and sentencing them to rot in prison where a huge, muscular guy named Petunia fucks their brains out every night. Who's the martyr now, bitch?

Guest AnthonyDriller

This is a really great thread. Thanks for the knowledge this is my second time reading the article. My question is did USA even try and negotiate with the terrorists? This also wasn't his brothers first time being kidnapped.