My personal trainer

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

i have a question:

I've joined the Boston Sports Club in Westborough, Ma. I don't expect anyone to know of Westborough, as it's well in the Provences of Massachusetts.

i also acquired a three-month commitment with a personal trainer, 12 sessions / month. Best thing I ever did. He's amazing: Well education.

Sculler. Cute as hell: 30; 6'3"; 235#.

All of which is to say: Should I tip him? My co-habitating nephew is a massage therapist at a spa, and gets paid like

$38 for an hour massage, which bills at like $120 to the spa. Needless to say, tips are necessary.

So: I'm paying $75 per session ($900 per 12 times minimum 3 month requirement).

Do I tip on top of this? My nephew says no.

We thank you for your support.

i...So: I'm paying $75 per session ($900 per 12 times minimum 3 month requirement).

I agree with your nephew: no tip on top of the personal training fee. You have already paid for the personal training session. Certainly the gym takes part of the fee, but that covers the cost of advertising, marketing, and finding clients, not to mention gym fees. I don't see any reason for you to tip on top of that.

if, at the end of the three months, you really feel and look good thanks to his work with you, I'd certainly give him a gift card or other non-cash gift based on things/places you've found out he likes during the three months of training

i have a question:

I've joined the Boston Sports Club in Westborough, Ma. I don't expect anyone to know of Westborough, as it's well in the Provences of Massachusetts.

i also acquired a three-month commitment with a personal trainer, 12 sessions / month. Best thing I ever did. He's amazing: Well education.

Sculler. Cute as hell: 30; 6'3"; 235#.

All of which is to say: Should I tip him? My co-habitating nephew is a massage therapist at a spa, and gets paid like

$38 for an hour massage, which bills at like $120 to the spa. Needless to say, tips are necessary.

So: I'm paying $75 per session ($900 per 12 times minimum 3 month requirement).

I've never heard of anyone tipping trainers on top of the session price. $75 is a middle-range, fair. price for a gym trainer. The best thing you can do for him is refer others to him. If you want, You can always give him a gift at the end of the 3 month time period as azdr suggested, though you might wait for Christmas or his birthday to do it.

azdr is spot on. I have hired personal trainers in the past and have never tipped them. I always felt that they were paid sufficiently for the service that they provided through the gym, however if in fact you feel that the sessions were worthwhile, then by all means you should reward them with a little something.

No tipping! I had a personal trainer some years back (maybe 3 or 4) and his charges (through the agency that provided him) were even higher than yours. He did his job well, and I was happy with the results, but tipping him for that service was considered a "no-no" by both the company and him (to prevent any wrong messages between clients and trainers I was told very clearly).

I tipped my trainer at Christmas, but not after every session.

Same here. I have given my trainers a token of appreciation at Charstmas. A nice bottle of wine has been my go to item for this purpose. So far, each of the guys I've done this for have been very appreciative and pleasantly surprised.

A good trainer that can keep you motivated to get results is worth his or her weight in gold. We have trained with the same guy for years. We each tip the cost of a session at the holidays, and take him and his girl (sigh...) out to dinner on his birthday.

And PS: Good for you to take that step! Training is expensive, but if you both do the work, it will really pay off in terms if your health and energy. Bust it up!

Great timing! Tomorrow I'm starting at a new gym with a new personal trainer. I had a wonderful guy about 3 years ago and he and I worked so well together that I was able to attain both my physical and personal goals with his positive guidance. We became very good friends and I never tipped him, but I met his young son, his son in high school, and his wife. I would periodically pick up some small thing for the boys and took the family out at Christmas time with gifts for the boys from Santa.

After a couple of years away from the gym, I lost contact with him, but still remember this high quality guy.

Boston Bill

In the event the professional service he has provided in the course of the year has been exceptional, I consider a "tip" on New Year's Day to be in order. I don't "do" Christmas gifts anymore with "providers"; cash in hand, one hundred dollars, to start the New Year is, I have found, a very welcome gesture. A birthday, in my opinion, is a very personal occasion, and, commemoration with a gift is beyond the bounds of a professional relationship with a provider such as a personal trainer.

I don't typically tip my trainer aside from a year-end bonus. However, I've had a couple of long work days where I've had to call at the last minute and let him know I'm running 10 minutes late. Despite always telling him I'd be comfortable with a shorter session, he always gives me the full hour. (I'm usually his last appointment of the day) When that happens a little too often, I'll add a little extra to my next payment of appointments.

Thanks for all the input!

Yesterday (session 4) he told me I was going to have the GLUTES (read: ASS) of a Football Player or a Hockey Star. I'm already "broad in the beam", so I have to clarify what he means.

Today, he caught my eye at 50' of an hour and 10 of my pool walking (swimming isn't so hot / walking is better for the legs). I got a text: "Nice job in the pool!"

so who's flirting with whom??

When my three-month stint is over, we'll probably drop to twice a week, or once a week. At that time, I'll give him a gift card to this

FABULOUS fish restaurant we have in Wistuh [a.k.a. Worcester, MA]. He can take his "girlfriend" there.

Is he gay? I have had some amazing experiences with personal trainers at my gym in NYC. Personal trainers get 'hit on' all the time by their male and female clients. Some derive most of their income from this type of service. It all has to be in good taste, tactful and discreet of course. A trainer, if he is interested and available, will send you a hint that it is 'OK' to initiate a conversation about this.

Is he gay? I have had some amazing experiences with personal trainers at my gym in NYC. Personal trainers get 'hit on' all the time by their male and female clients. Some derive most of their income from this type of service. It all has to be in good taste, tactful and discreet of course. A trainer, if he is interested and available, will send you a hint that it is 'OK' to initiate a conversation about this.

On Saturday, he told me about his double date the night before. On Monday, he told me about going to a clients house from with hs girlfriend. Who knows? He's still nice eye candy. I won't hit on him; ats not my style.

I think I'm just susceptible to someone who is genuinely interested inmy health and well-being. He could gave gone into another field: I get the sense he would ave been incredible at sports medicine.

...Yesterday (session 4) he told me I was going to have the GLUTES (read: ASS) of a Football Player or a Hockey Star...Today, he caught my eye at 50' of an hour and 10 of my pool walking (swimming isn't so hot / walking is better for the legs). I got a text: "Nice job in the pool!"

so who's flirting with whom??.

I don't think he is flirting with you. As your trainer, it is his job to observe you while you exercise and provide feedback on your progress. That's precisely what he is doing.

I don't think he is flirting with you. As your trainer, it is his job to observe you while you exercise and provide feedback on your progress. That's precisely what he is doing.

Sigh. It was such a good, running fantasy. And i can't objectify him. He's a caring professional who loves his job.

Now that you have a number of answers about the personal trainer, I have a comments about Westborough, MA. I would think that anyone who lives near Route 9 close to Framingham, Natick or Worcester would know about Westborough. In the 1990s, I stayed at a Westborough hotel five/six times to see part of the annual Boston Marathon that goes through Framingham. It is a nice small town close to Route 495 and the Mass. Turnpike.

Noticing that there are several people posting on this thread from Eastern Massachusetts, ... and facing unexpected financial constraints, I was just wondering whether anyone in this area might entertain the notion of sharing one or two gentlemen for a session. (I can't do incalls.) If you'd consider that, PM me!

Now that you have a number of answers about the personal trainer, I have a comments about Westborough, MA. I would think that anyone who lives near Route 9 close to Framingham, Natick or Worcester would know about Westborough. In the 1990s, I stayed at a Westborough hotel five/six times to see part of the annual Boston Marathon that goes through Framingham. It is a nice small town close to Route 495 and the Mass. Turnpike.

After last year's "incident", the security will be nothing south of impervious. Someone has already been arrested for leaving a backpack at the finish line: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/16/suspicious-package-reported-near-boston-marathon-finish-line-police-say/ [admittedly, it IS fox news].

NOT the time to play games with I Polizei.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/04/14/strollers-bags-how-are-you-supposed-bring-your-baby-the-boston-marathon/hyqGMm9KA1IFVMl4Tev4FO/story.html

A good trainer that you like enough as a friend to spend all that time with, but who has the ability to be a professional to motivate you at the same time is, in my experience, a hard thing to find. So, the question I have for all of you: Are you willing to risk losing an excellent personal trainer by hitting on him?

I think about it all the time, but I'm not willing to lose my guy. Just curious as what you all think.

A good trainer that you like enough as a friend to spend all that time with, but who has the ability to be a professional to motivate you at the same time is, in my experience, a hard thing to find. So, the question I have for all of you: Are you willing to risk losing an excellent personal trainer by hitting on him?

I think about it all the time, but I'm not willing to lose my guy. Just curious as what you all think.

For the choice: Keep him as my trainer. Much though I think he's a hunk, I'm decidedly in need of someone to show me the ropes, especially given my various and sundry physical difficulties. "Hmm. Some day, I'll have two cups of coffee and say, "Oh! that's how I'll have him do it!" His degree in Kinesology helps immensely.

But, no, I'm not about to chase after him nor hit on him. I respect him too much as a professional. I hope we can become friends, however.

I agree. I had a great trainer, we started to hang out outside the gym, and the sense of "accountability" that he stressed was harder to maintain after you'd done shots with him.

Archived