What The Hell Is LinkedIn and Why Are They Bothering Me?

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3687 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not accustomed to discussing non-erotic serious matters on this forum, but needed to weigh in here to agree with EXPAT.

LinkedIn can be useful ... or not ... depending on the kind of work you do, how you use it, and how thoroughly you restrict your contacts to either real business associates or people you would want to have some kind fo business connection with.

Various groups can be quite useful in getting out tightly-targeted messages; other can be surprisingly good ways to "meet" people whose either offer services you need or might be interested in services you offer. Other than the kinds of services we discuss here, of course ;)

Several posters have noted that you do need ot be careful about opening up your addressbook. It repeatedly ask me if I'd like to do that, and I always decline. I suppose I haven't been "spammed" much from LinkedIn because the people I'm connected with there exercise the same restraint/control that I do.

Other kinds of restraints and controls are subjects which are better addressed in this forum .... ;)

I'll bet you will find that your friend has no idea that he "invited" you.
Well, we had seen each other this past Monday after not having had contact since last December. Consequently I'm inclined to think that the invitation was genuine. Still... I'm not interested.

Well, we had seen each other this past Monday after not having had contact since last December. Consequently I'm inclined to think that the invitation was genuine. Still... I'm not interested.

It could be. The invite usually involves no more than checking your name off on a list of their contacts.

I worked at a very prestigious university, and this contact/email spread through just about every administrator and the vast majority did not want it because there are professional organizations that keep us informed of pertinent data and opportunities. We all had a major problem stopping the endless emails.

The professional sites that send emails all seem to have a disclaimer on the page that you can click on to unsubscribe. I think their overall tactics are unprofessional AT BEST.

Boston Bill

I did unsubscribe and so far, so good. But when I wrote the neighbor about it he absolutely denied giving them my email address ad washed his dirty hands of it. My feeling is that no one has the right to give out my email address, but I know it happens, especially with businesses who sell them. So I keep one just for friends and family, knowing that any emails I see are ones I want to see, and it has been pretty clean of unwanted mail.

A few moments ago, I just recieved an email for LinkedIn. I searched the email, and could not find the 'unsubscribe' button, so I hit spam. Now we wait to see if it will work.

It's in the little-bitty type down in the bottom legalize of the email. It's in a gray colored font and hard to see. Maybe your young gentleman callers can help you with it while your helping yourself to him!:o:rolleyes:

It's in the little-bitty type down in the bottom legalize of the email. It's in a gray colored font and hard to see. Maybe your young gentleman callers can help you with it while your helping yourself to him!:o:rolleyes:

I looked down there, and it wasn't to be found. It could be that this particular linkedIn email was not the usual. While I only scanned it briefly, as I recall it had something to do with reformatting my membership. They apparently had made some changes and they were informing me. Again, I could be wrong, because I only glanced at it once. I was a little preoccupied with finding the 'unsubcribe' link. ;) Let's hope that spam did the trick.

And in my house, LOL....the computer is "off limits" to all the young gentlemen callers...I learned the hard way years ago.

I looked down there, and it wasn't to be found. It could be that this particular linkedIn email was not the usual. While I only scanned it briefly, as I recall it had something to do with reformatting my membership. They apparently had made some changes and they were informing me. Again, I could be wrong, because I only glanced at it once. I was a little preoccupied with finding the 'unsubcribe' link. ;) Let's hope that spam did the trick.

And in my house, LOL....the computer is "off limits" to all the young gentlemen callers...I learned the hard way years ago.

I think instudio was talking about the young gentleman callers playing with you, not your computer.

Boston Bill

Archived