The Worst Show I Saw Last Week

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Christopher Durang wrote the very funny show "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike." So when I saw that he had a new play off-Broadway, I immediately bought a ticket. Beyond Therapy was so bad I left at intermission. It's about two couples who meet on a blind date. The male acts horribly. We next see the woman at her shrink's, and he acts horribly. Late we see the man at his shrink, and she's just plain looney tunes. The problem is that none of it is funny. The characters are just too over the top. A little subtly would have gone a long way.

Christopher Durang wrote the very funny show "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike." So when I saw that he had a new play off-Broadway, I immediately bought a ticket. Beyond Therapy was so bad I left at intermission. It's about two couples who meet on a blind date. The male acts horribly. We next see the woman at her shrink's, and he acts horribly. Late we see the man at his shrink, and she's just plain looney tunes. The problem is that none of it is funny. The characters are just too over the top. A little subtly would have gone a long way.

"Beyond Therapy" is not a new play; it was one of his early successes in the 1970s. If you thought the production you saw was bad, you should see the film version with Glenda Jackson among others. Horrible.

Archived