Jonas Kaufman

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing Jonas Kaufman, both auditory and visually? He's being touted as being the best tenor in world right now.

I will be seeing Renee Fleming and he, of course with my guy from Chicago, at the Lyric Opera. Rand

I must chime in here and say I envy you and RGM! I think at this time Mr. Kaufmann is my favorite among the tenors of today. Alas I won’t get to Chicago until April so will not get to see the concert

with Ms. Fleming and Mr. K. Anyway I hope you will enjoy the concert. I know Raul has always expressed that he has enjoyed the few operas he has attended up to this time. Hopefully he will also enjoy this important joint concert!

TruHart1 :cool:

I must chime in here and say I envy you and RGM! I think at this time Mr. Kaufmann is my favorite among the tenors of today. Alas I won’t get to Chicago until April so will not get to see the concert

with MsI. Fleming and Mr. K. Anyway I hope you will enjoy the concert. I know Raul has always expressed that he has enjoyed the few operas he has attended up to this time. Hopefully he will also enjoy this important joint concert!

I admit I am opera naive, but an opera wannabe. One of my daughters is fanatical Ms. Fleming fan, and Jonas Kaufman is new to her as well. Looking forward to the concert, and to "expand" my horizons in other areas as well.

Well as I have noted elsewhere RGM knows it all. That includes opera. I recall him telling me that he cried at the conclusion of Bellini' s Norma. I have done so as well... That's when I knew that we were on the same wavelength. So yes we S&M guys do have a soft side.

As for Herr Kaufmann he is one of the current tenors du jour. I have not heard him in person. Often thought of as concentrating on the Germanic rep his recent Verdi CD has garnered rave reviews. Enjoy the concert and whatever else. Perhaps Raul can get you to hit a high C as well!!!

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing Jonas Kaufman, both auditory and visually? He's being touted as being the best tenor in world right now.

I will be seeing Renee Fleming and he, of course with my guy from Chicago, at the Lyric Opera. Rand

I saw Jonas Kaufmann in "Werther" at the Met a few days ago. I have previously seen Jonas in two Wagner operas and another Massenet opera, "Manon." "Werther" may be harder to act than sing, because his character starts depressed and gets worse as the opera progresses (based on a well-known Goethe novel). The second act was wonderful, almost a master class with just Sophie Koch and Kaufmann on stage for nearly the entire act. If the question is will Kaufmann hold his own with Renee Fleming, the answer is yes and relatively easily.

Note: The Met has Kaufmann's DVD of "Parsifal," which he performed there exactly a year ago. It's street sales date is not until April 1st. I actually enjoyed the HD theater performance of the opera more than the night I saw it in person. Luckily, the DVD is the HD theater Saturday afternoon version.

Note: The Met has Kaufmann's DVD of "Parsifal," which he performed there exactly a year ago. It's street sales date is not until April 1st. I actually enjoyed the HD theater performance of the opera more than the night I saw it in person. Luckily, the DVD is the HD theater Saturday afternoon version.
Hopefully that will be the case. However, I have seen a couple of those Saturday transmissions live in the house and the resulting product was not entirely an exact representation of what was actually performed. I have also had the opportunity to compare audio recordings of a couple of the broadcasts and they often differed from the final product... and usually for the better. I am quite sure that the MET tapes a number of performance as backups for their video releases as I have attended performances during the week where cameras were present.

The only time I have seen Kaufman was in his 2007 debut at the Met as Alfredo in Traviata. The fact that he was the best singer and actor in the performance was not what impressed me most: I thought he was hot as hell!

Yes, he is definitely a looker. I just wish he were bulked up a bit more for my taste, but in a pinch I think that I could make an exception quite easily!!!

The only time I have seen Kaufman was in his 2007 debut at the Met as Alfredo in Traviata. The fact that he was the best singer and actor in the performance was not what impressed me most: I thought he was hot as hell!

I saw Kaufmann in Chicago in 2006 as the co-star to Natalie Dessay in "Manon." I would have seen the opera anyway, but when I saw his photo outside the Lyric Opera, there was no doubt. He is hot. In looking at the Met program, I was unaware that Kaufmann has played the lead in Verdi's "Don Carlo" and "La Boheme" in Europe. Not sure why I am surprised.

Concerning the "Parsifal" DVD, now I have to watch it soon to see which performance, or mix of performances, is being presented.

Well as I have noted elsewhere RGM knows it all. That includes opera. I recall him telling me that he cried at the conclusion of Bellini' s Norma. I have done so as well... That's when I knew that we were on the same wavelength. So yes we S&M guys do have a soft side.

As for Herr Kaufmann he is one of the current tenors du jour. I have not heard him in person. Often thought of as concentrating on the Germanic rep his recent Verdi CD has garnered rave reviews. Enjoy the concert and whatever else. Perhaps Raul can get you to hit a high C as well!!!

RGM can certainly get a high note out of you!!!

I agree that Mr. Kaufmann is a definite looker. I have the Blu-Ray of his Werther with Sophie Koch as Charlotte in Paris a few years ago. The camera work is often badly directed and frustrating to watch but his and Ms. Koch’s singing is sublime. I never really enjoyed the role of Werther as much as a well sung Charlotte, but with Mr. Kaufmann singing with such pathos and being such a gorgeous man, he has been a revelation. As for Ms. Fleming she has been impressive to me in two other Massenet operas: Manon and especially Thaïs, both Met HD productions of the past.

Jonas Kaufmann does not let the grass grow under his feet. Besides Werther, I have heard (and/or seen telecasts of) his performances of Tosca, Die Meistersinger, Die Zauberflöte, Carmen, Die Walküre, The Verdi Requiem, Lohengrin, Faust, Don Carlo, Ariadne auf Naxos, La Fanciulla del West, Adriana Lecouvreur, La Traviata, Parsifal, Il Trovatore and La Forza del Destino. In addition, he is scheduled to do a new production of Manon Lescaut later this year in London!

• 2 weeks later...

An incredibly diverse repertoire. He first came to my attention in a review in ''Opera'' magazine in the early 2000's of his performance in the lead in ''Idomeneo'' in Geneva, a performance described by the reviewer as ''stupendous''. He makes his Australian debut in concert at the Sydney Opera House in August this year. I purchased my seats months ago, I might add at stupendous prices.

Archived