Alabama legislature debates the ten commandments

deej

This topic is 2844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Seriously I'm speechless....What the hell do you say about something as asinine as this....

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Arizona has Alabama beaten hand-down today:

""By BOB CHRISTIE Associated Press

Associated Press

The Arizona Legislature gave final approval Thursday evening to legislation that allows business owners asserting their religious beliefs to refuse service to gays, drawing backlash from Democrats who called the proposal "state-sanctioned discrimination" and an embarrassment.

The 33-27 vote by the House sends the legislation to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer and puts Arizona back at the forefront of a polarizing piece of legislation four years after the state enacted an immigration crackdown that caused a national furor.""

How will any business owner know who to discriminate against? They will have to ask each and every customer, "are you Queer? Do you wear pantyhose under your football uniform?"

How will Zonies be refused service in a gay bar?

Another point, strictly hypothetical. Say M-F member BSR is attending a gun show in Scottsdale, and some how gets accidentally shot. Could Rural-Metro ( the private for-profit ambulance / paramedic provider in Scottsdale) refuse him service based on his sexuality?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/19/us/north-carolina-gun-show-shooting/

http://www.ruralmetro.com

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Rural/Metro_(RURL) (INVEST!!!!)

Hilarity ensues:

l

I think this debate point was the best:

"Rep. Bridges didn't include John 3:16 in the amendment because not everybody believes in Jesus Christ." – Rep. Bridges, opposing an amendment from Rep. Bandy to add John 3:16 to the bill.

... the Alabama Legislature tables John 3:16 by a vote of 54-32.

It's hard enough to remember my opinions without also having to remember my reasons for them!

Say M-F member BSR is attending a gun show in Scottsdale, and some how gets accidentally shot. Could Rural-Metro ( the private for-profit ambulance / paramedic provider in Scottsdale) refuse him service based on his sexuality?

Given that this is Arizona we're talking about, I'd say that pro-gun trumps pro-butt sex so, yeah, BSR gets a ride to the hospital.

It's hard enough to remember my opinions without also having to remember my reasons for them!

Arizona has Alabama beaten hand-down today:

How will any business owner know who to discriminate against? They will have to ask each and every customer, "are you Queer?

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=k4bl9bkHwlmH60PUXe6mAM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtwlQ0wM8Xr2YHW$0H53pNSWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

I'm bisexual, so I just got half a Spicy Chicken and a small lemonade.

(props to Groucho: When an anti-Semitic swimming club refused admission to his daughter: "She's only half Jewish. How about if she only goes in up to her waist?")

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=k4bl9bkHwlmH60PUXe6mAM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtwlQ0wM8Xr2YHW$0H53pNSWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

I'm bisexual, so I just got half a Spicy Chicken and a small lemonade.

(props to Groucho: When an anti-Semitic swimming club refused admission to his daughter: "She's only half Jewish. How about if she only goes in up to her waist?")

This was hernia popping funny Mr. Lookin, thank you.

This was hernia popping funny Mr. Lookin, thank you.

+1....Lookin, you never disappoint.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

I love it when conservatives are forced to show their true colors. Between Ted Nugent and this AZ bill, they will be flushed out of the underbrush and exposed for who they truly are: bigoted haters.

Dear Republicans: You are gift that keeps on giving - I LOVE watching the crash and burn.

(BTW, I say Brewer won't sign the Bill)

I love it when conservatives are forced to show their true colors. Between Ted Nugent and this AZ bill, they will be flushed out of the underbrush and exposed for who they truly are: bigoted haters.

Dear Republicans: You are gift that keeps on giving - I LOVE watching the crash and burn.

(BTW, I say Brewer won't sign the Bill)

I think you're right about Brewer. While she is a vile individual, she knows the law would be challenged and ultimately lost and there are already lots of business groups and business owners pushing her to reject it. It is so interesting how Republicans lost again in 2012, say they are going to change, and yet increase their abhorrent speech and behavior. Looking ahead to 2016, based on what we see so far, Republicans will continue to be comprised of and associated with those who dislike fellow Americans. Nugent is just one racist and bigot amongst them. Interesting that others in that party are now showing their racist and hatred bent more than in the past/not less, including Sarah Palin who came out after Nugents ignorant comments and embraced him. Ted Cruz has said he's fine to campaign with Nugent. You can't sleep with a racist or bigot and claim to be better than them, you're just like them.

So instead of presenting real Americans with choice in 2016, we'll see more hatred and ignorance from teabaggers and Republicans. So, whether the Democratic candidate is the most qualified or not, real Americans will be voting for her/him even if just as a rejection of the haters on the right.

I think you're right about Brewer. While she is a vile individual, she knows the law would be challenged and ultimately lost and there are already lots of business groups and business owners pushing her to reject it. It is so interesting how Republicans lost again in 2012, say they are going to change, and yet increase their abhorrent speech and behavior. Looking ahead to 2016, based on what we see so far, Republicans will continue to be comprised of and associated with those who dislike fellow Americans. Nugent is just one racist and bigot amongst them. Interesting that others in that party are now showing their racist and hatred bent more than in the past/not less, including Sarah Palin who came out after Nugents ignorant comments and embraced him. Ted Cruz has said he's fine to campaign with Nugent. You can't sleep with a racist or bigot and claim to be better than them, you're just like them.

So instead of presenting real Americans with choice in 2016, we'll see more hatred and ignorance from teabaggers and Republicans. So, whether the Democratic candidate is the most qualified or not, real Americans will be voting for her/him even if just as a rejection of the haters on the right.

Now that is a bet I wouldn't want to take. But just for the fun of it, I say she signs it. Republicans have already shown that they would rather put there conservative values above the interests of all else...Think we will know by Monday. If she does veto the bill, it will have nothing to do with her sense of right, it will be due to pressure from the business community and nothing more.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Now that is a bet I wouldn't want to take.

I wouldn't take the bet either, but I also wouldn't bet the other way. We just don't know.

She vetoed a similar bill a while back but at that time she was in a tough fight with the legislature over (of all things) accepting the Obamacare Medicaid expansion. She was enough of a realist to know she'd be screwing the state to turn down the money, which is the only reason she wanted it. There isn't a fight like that going on right now, and she isn't eligible (due to term limits) for reelection so that's not on the table either.

I can't find anyone in the talking head universe who thinks they have any definitive clue how she'll go, but the clock is ticking. We won't have to wait long. She has five days to act.

Fiscal conservatives really put their hypocrisy on parade with cases like this. They're willing to waste beaucoup taxpayer dollars passing a law that clearly won't withstand challenge and then spend beaucoup more taxpayer dollars defending the bill in court challenges they're destined to lose. They want government off your backs but in your bedroom. <sigh>

Ms. Brewer is a bit of wackdoodle and loose canon. Couple these with she only has one year left in office (term limits), anything could happen.

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1264&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=2--_wqovnVBSUM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com%2F2012%2F01%2F25%2Fa-frosty-meeting-for-obama-and-brewer%2F&docid=kjBxzR4bLz7T2M&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgraphics8.nytimes.com%2Fimages%2F2012%2F01%2F25%2Fblogs%2Fobama-brewer%2Fobama-brewer-blog480.jpg&w=480&h=320&ei=NkoJU4OgAcX6oAST9ILoAQ&zoom=1&ved=0CFoQhBwwAg&iact=rc&dur=449&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15

She could make a bold statement and sign the bill. This would prove her good conservative - religious creds for next office, or bump-up her contract as a Fox News Consultant, a la Half Governor Palin.