Sauna Fragata - Sao Paulo - another update

imrthr
This topic is 3595 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The status and the survival of Sauna Fragata have been the subject of speculation and discussions by clients and garotos in Brazil and some light discussion on this forum. Initially, I reported, then retracted, that Fragata was scheduled to close its doors forever.

Following my reports, I learned that the owners of Fragata had changed their minds about selling the property that houses Fragata. Their minds were changed because the sale that had been planned, fell through.

During my last trip to Brazil (that ended last week), I spoke with one of the owners of Fragata who assured me that plans to sell the building were abandoned and that the sauna would not close.

The assertion of the owner who stated that the sale of the building that houses Fragata was abandoned, appears questionable. This is because, on route to Fragata on my last trip, I noticed that the long-term previously popular restaurant next door to Fragata was closed and that the windows were in the process of being boarded. While I looked around the closed restaurant, I saw some workmen and decided to ask why the restaurant was closed and why the windows were being boarded.

One workman told me that the entire block, including the restaurant as well as the building that houses Fragata (plus the building on the other side of Fragata) had been sold and that a large condominium will be constructed after the buildings are demolished. The explanation of the worker coincided with previous reports concerning Fragata.

The fact that the restaurant next door to Fragata is closed and boarded together with the explanation of the workmen, it is reasonable to assume that Sauna Fragata is not going to remain at its present location, for the long run.

If Fragata closes, Sauna Lagoa will be the only rent-boy sauna in Sao Paulo. That will allow the present owners of Lagoa to have free reign to charge what they want and to change the sauna the way they want it rather than how customers might want to see the sauna. In other words, there will be zero competition in Sao Paulo as there will be only one remaining rent-boy sauna - Sauna Lagoa.

For those who visit Sao Paulo and enjoy Sauna Fragata, it might be a good time to visit because the handwriting on the wall is signaling that the place will soon be gone, despite contradictions by its present owners.

-

• 3 months later...

I visited Sauna Fragata this evening.

I had confirmation from one of the owners that the sauna will not close for the present time nor are there plans to close the sauna in the immediate future, as had previously been reported. This is odd because other long established businesses, including the long standing popular restaurant next to Fragata, have closed and remain empty.

I did not enjoy my time at the sauna tonight. There were very few garotos there and those that were there were either loud and noisy feminine twinks or ''over the hill" garotos who have long past seen their best days. There were a few good looking garotos but, only a few.

Perhaps if I did not remember the "good old days" when there were several rent-boy saunas in Sao Paulo or when Fragata was a strong competitor to Sauna Lagoa, I would not view the present day Fragata so harshly.

Everything has its time and place and nothing stays "young and fresh" forever. So it goes with the present day Fragata. I am not in any hurry to return to Fragata.

Tomorrow I will make another visit to the new Sao Paulo sauna that opened a few weeks ago. I will visit it at least a few times before I offer my opinion. On Wednesday I will be returning to Sauna Lagoa. It is difficult not to like what is available there.

-

Until next time

Greetings from Barcelona! A pity again about Fragata. I have very fond memories of the place. I look forward to your review of the new sauna.

Hello Sydneyboy - Barcelona - one of my favorite cities, except for the awful Gaudi architecture.

While in Barcelona, I hope you visited Sauna Thermas. I have been to that sauna many times. I have never had a bad experience there. If you had a chance to see it, you will notice that the sauna was refurbished and slightly remodeled less than two years ago. Also, they added some nicer "pay" rooms rather than the free "rooms" on the cruising floor. All in all, I give the place four + stars out of five. Also, if you like museums, the Joan Miró museum is only a few blocks from Sauna Thermas. It is open only during day. You could visit the museum in the afternoon then walk over to the sauna.

-

imrthr, how was your visit to the new sauna?

I have one more scheduled visit before I express my opinion of the new sauna.

Meanwhile, Fragata continues to receive negative reviews from my friends who went there during the week. I have not been to Fragata since last Sunday evening. The place was awful and I have no immediate plans to return.

For those who remember Fragata, Tuesday and Sunday were formerly the best and busiest nights for Fragata.

Fragata has been in existence going on three decades. I thought Fragata would remain popular as it always had been.

Then, I remembered Sauna Alterosas that had been in existence nearly forty years. The place was great, then suddenly and without warning it was closed forever. It no longer exists except in the memories of those who enjoyed visiting Sauna Alterosas.

Another Sao Paulo famous gay landmark was the Cine Saci on Avenida Sao Joao. It was always busy until one day the city appeared and boarded up the entrance. A few days later, bulldozers appeared at the building and knocked it down to the ground.

Except for memories, this is all that remains of Cine Saci - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18664/photos

Notice how the above Cinema Treasures website describes Cine Saci's current status - "demolished"

"Time marches on" and waits for no one, not even in Brazil.

-

Archived