Has Anybody noticed?

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 3723 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140207042231-google-doodle-sochi-olympics-story-top.jpg

Google's pro-gay doodle sends message of support

By Euan McKirdy, for CNN

(CNN) -- Google has made a bold statement against discrimination on its home page. The search giant's rainbow Olympic-themed logo, posted to mark the first day of the Sochi Winter Games, sends a powerful message of support for not only gay athletes competing in the games, but for the gay community at large and its supporters.

I caught it this morning and caught the meaning...I think it is wonderful. Apparently they are alread being critized for it, but they are standing their ground...good for them!!!

I saw it early this morning, but I didn't catch the significance. A straight friend pointed it out on Facebook. Who has been criticizing Google for it?

Gman

I saw it early this morning, but I didn't catch the significance. A straight friend pointed it out on Facebook. Who has been criticizing Google for it?

Gman

CNN was reporting only that Google had received complaints that it was antagonistic and unnecessary, the same way Obama was criticized for sending a predominantly gay delegation. That is to be expected though...progress is always going to be baby steps.

Google released this early in our day in order for the folks in Europe and Russia to see it before the Opening Ceremonies. Google is not as popular in Russia and some parts of Europe as it is in the US and elsewhere on the Globe... but the news wires were quick to pick it up, and I have seen several stories about their support. Google was one of the early companies to come out against Proposition 8 in California. Three big thumbs up for Google... or anything else you want to get up to support what they are doing.

CNN was reporting only that Google had received complaints that it was antagonistic and unnecessary, the same way Obama was criticized for sending a predominantly gay delegation. That is to be expected though...progress is always going to be baby steps.

I read the CNN report and also the Fox News report and found No mention of any type of criticism there. I believe Obama's criticism was mainly from outside the U.S. (primarily Russia). I admire the stance of President Obama, the athletes, the press, and major companies like Google and 2 Olympic Committee sponsors (AT&T, Chobani).

These people and many like them have taken a GIANT STEP forward.

Boston Bill

I noticed the new image, but didn't catch the meaning behind it. Thank you Daddy for pointing it out and thanks to Google for their wonderful support. Very impressed!!

Boston Bill

Did you know that you can hover over a Google Doodle and find out what it represents?

The U.S. delegation is not predominantly gay. It included three gay athletes, one of whom wasn't "out" when Obama named the delegation (Boitano), but came out shortly thereafter, and another of whom ended up not going for family reasons (King). But it's good that the President made this statement. He also did something else concrete this week, nominating an openly gay Florida state judge to be a U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Florida. If confirmed, the nominee will be the first openly gay black man on a federal court. Obama has now nominated more openly gay judges than any other president in history.

Bravo, Google! Sergey Brin, one of the co-founders of Google, is Russian. A point that should not be lost on Putin. Interesting!

According to Wikipedia, he came to the USA when he was 6 years old. While early childhood experiences are important, I'm betting considering with what he has gone on to do with his life that his basic values are American- Mom, apple pie, borscht ;), and Chevrolet.

Gman

I saw the new logo in the morning news and heard the explanation. I think it makes sense.

They also explained that US President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande

are not attending the Sochi ceremonies in protest of the new anti-gay propaganda laws.[/color]

Totally Agree with Boycotts and apparently "Sochi" is nothing but a disaster!

Archived