12 Angry Men

Guest Starbuck
This topic is 3735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Starbuck

If you didn't care about either team playing football yesterday, one of your other viewing options was the film "12 Angry Men," shown on TCM. For those who don't know it, it's the story of 12 men deliberating a murder case in the hot, cramped confines of a jury room. It's a terrific film (directed by Sidney Lumet) with an excellent ensemble cast, but this post isn't about the film--it's about the anger. What an insightful examination and good reminder of how hard it is to have reasonable discussion and constructive debate when people show up--in the jury room, in the classroom, in the boardroom, in Congress, in any public forum--with minds glued shut by ego, hostility, prejudice or ignorance. You can't shut them up or shout them down ... and how often is Henry Fonda in the room to lead the way to reason with a calm demeanor and an even tone?

I don't know that the "minds glued shut by ego, hostility, prejudice or ignorance" is necessary. I'm finding it harder and harder to have a conversation, period. I have many friends that are delightful conversationalists, but with family, or at work, I'm surrounded by people who blurt out the first thought that enters their mind, whenever it enters it, without a thought for what someone else is saying, or if they've finished talking. There are times where I realize I've gone for hours without finishing a sentence - and I'm not a long-winded talker.

Sorry, rough day at work and I'm in a venting mood.

If you didn't care about either team playing football yesterday, one of your other viewing options was the film "12 Angry Men," shown on TCM. For those who don't know it, it's the story of 12 men deliberating a murder case in the hot, cramped confines of a jury room. It's a terrific film (directed by Sidney Lumet) with an excellent ensemble cast, but this post isn't about the film--it's about the anger. What an insightful examination and good reminder of how hard it is to have reasonable discussion and constructive debate when people show up--in the jury room, in the classroom, in the boardroom, in Congress, in any public forum--with minds glued shut by ego, hostility, prejudice or ignorance. You can't shut them up or shout them down ... and how often is Henry Fonda in the room to lead the way to reason with a calm demeanor and an even tone?

Excellent film. I once observed a class which Henry Fonda's character and his tactics were used as a case study on leadership

One of the students referred to Henry Fonda as "the hot guy in the white suit."

You can watch it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RelOJfFIyp8

I don't know that the "minds glued shut by ego, hostility, prejudice or ignorance" is necessary. I'm finding it harder and harder to have a conversation, period. I have many friends that are delightful conversationalists, but with family, or at work, I'm surrounded by people who blurt out the first thought that enters their mind, whenever it enters it, without a thought for what someone else is saying, or if they've finished talking. There are times where I realize I've gone for hours without finishing a sentence - and I'm not a long-winded talker.

Sorry, rough day at work and I'm in a venting mood.

We must work in the same office.

Archived