Ice Cream v Frozen Yogurt

Gar1eth
This topic is 3736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Frozen Yogurt seems to be getting even more and more popular. I don't think I've had one in years. When I was a kid, my Dad for a bit sold a brand in grocery stores called Knudsens. They were on sticks like orange pop-ups. I used to eat the samples he brought home, but have only had frozen yogurt a very few times over the years since then. The reason I haven't had it very much is I remember that it didn't seem to have as much taste as ice cream. For that matter I've never really liked Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream or chains that sell a similar type of ice cream like Marble Slab for the same reason-lack of taste/flavor. The flavors seem muted to me compared to normal ice cream. And yes I realize there are all the sprinkles and candy and fruit you can add to spice up the flavor. But to me- you need to start with good tasting ice cream- the add one are just that- add ons.

Gman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frozen Yogurt seems to be getting even more and more popular. I don't think I've had one in years. When I was a kid, my Dad for a bit sold a brand in grocery stores called Knudsens. They were on sticks like orange pop-ups. I used to eat the samples he brought home, but have only had frozen a very few times over the years since then. The reason I haven't had it very much is I remember that it didn't seem to have as much taste as ice cream. For that matter I've never really liked Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream or chains that sell a similar type of ice cream like Marble Slab for the same reason-lack of taste/flavor. The flavors seem muted to me compared to normal ice cream. And yes I realize there are all the sprinkles and candy and fruit you can add to spice up the flavor. But to me- you need to start with good tasting ice cream- the add one are just that- add ons.

Gman

;)Strictly an ice cream guy here, I just can't get into frozen yogurt, but I love Cold Stone, and Haagen-Daz of course. Everything in moderation....

;)Strictly an ice cream guy here, I just can't get into frozen yogurt, but I love Cold Stone, and Haagen-Daz of course. Everything in moderation....

In my opinion- and maybe it's just that I have lost taste buds as I've grown older, but Baskin Robbins Ice Cream has more flavor than Cold Stone or Marble Slab. When I've tried Cold Stone or Marble Slab- it's like there is a memory of flavor there- but the flavor just waved at the ice cream on it's way past to another store.

I almost added to my post that all Forum Members in good shape could just skip this topic.:p

Gman

In my opinion- and maybe it's just that I have lost taste buds as I've grown older, but Baskin Robbins Ice Cream has more flavor than Cold Stone or Marble Slab. When I've tried Cold Stone or Marble Slab- it's like there is a memory of flavor there- but the flavor just waved at the ice cream on it's way past to another store.

I almost added to my post that all Forum Members in good shape could just skip this topic.:p

Gman

Well like I said, everything in moderation. I still love ice cream, and have it weekly. BUT I will say, who doesn't like a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake.....yum.

The thing that makes ice cream taste good to you is the milk fat. Any ice cream that reduces milk fat will not have the same flavor.

Unfortunately, as our society has become more and more health-conscious a lot of people are hesitant to indulge in full-fat ice cream so more and more vendors are selling the low-fat variety and you have to read the labels pretty carefully to find out which is which.

The best, of course, is the ice cream you make yourself from grandma's recipe. But MAN is it rich! A little dab'll do ya!

Well....you do make a good point. ;)

uhhh.....you couldn't possibly still be talking about ice cream?!!........right?!!

Sex v ice cream. I think I'll have to go with ice cream. It doesn't let you down. And at least for me- unlike you hung studs on here, a lot more available.

Gman

BUT I will say, who doesn't like a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake.....yum.

YES these are still my all-time favorites... love the Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes.

I remember that old Knudsen frozen yogurt. World of difference compared to the new stuff. It tasted like, well... yogurt that had been frozen. The stuff in stores now tastes more like ice cream, but I agree I'd rather just get ice cream. Here in SF I love Swensen's and Mitchell's.

Being lactose intolerant (or a "lactard" as one friend put it) I eat frozen yogurt because the process of culturing the milk into yogurt dissipates the lactose. However, there is nothing quite like good ice cream. I am not a Cold Stone fan. Baskin-Robbins is good, but I miss the old Bressler's 33 Flavors. That and the Walgreens ice cream of my childhood.

It depends. I love ice cream and I love frozen yogurt (but only if its the sweet/tart kind).

The first time I ever tasted frozen yogurt was when I went to Disney World as a kid. It was strawberry and it was sweet and tart. It was and still is the best frozen yogurt I've ever tasted. The only place that has come close has been Pinkberry.

Speaking of strawberry... Coldstone has an absolutely yummy red velvet strawberry ice cream cake.

The best ice cream I ever had was at Carnation Plaza at Disneyland. My favorite was and still is strawberry. I remember one year it was during the ban on red dye number whatever. They apologized because the strawberry ice cream was white since there was no red dye. It was the best strawberry ice cream I have ever had!

For all you chocolate fans, Fluffy will provide you with some inside info.

When I go to Cold Stone, I prefer the chocolate peanut butter milk shake. Ask for extra peanut butter cups. It's incredibly good.

Has anyone noticed that it's impossible to find a rich milk or chocolate ice cream with chocolate pieces? My favorite is Baskin Robbin's Chocolate Mousse Royale, which was discontinued when I was a kid. It made an excellent milkshake too. Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie is ok, but doesn't have enough chocolate chunks.

There was also Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle, which I absolutely loved and was discontinued several years ago.

Edit: Hey, Baskin Robbins brought Chocolate Mousse Royale! :cool: If you love chocolate, go to your nearest Baskin Robbins and get a taste.

Being lactose intolerant (or a "lactard" as one friend put it) I eat frozen yogurt because the process of culturing the milk into yogurt dissipates the lactose. However, there is nothing quite like good ice cream. I am not a Cold Stone fan. Baskin-Robbins is good, but I miss the old Bressler's 33 Flavors. That and the Walgreens ice cream of my childhood.

I'm lactose intolerant too. But I don't let it stop me from eating ice cream. By the way- while Lactaid tablets never did much for me, I recently discovered that Lactaid milk is incredible. I've been using it on my cereal lately- let's just say no problems afterwards.

Gman

I have been enjoying Turkey Hill Ice Cream for the last few years. It might relate back to an episode in which I took a bowl of ice cream and slowly rub it into and then licked it off of Steven Kessler. Steven has very erect nipples but the cold ice cream made them even moreso. The cold of the ice cream made his testicles draw up tight and as I licked it off, they slowly returned down and then more ice cream for another round trip. That was Turkey Hill Ice Cream for the first but not the last time for me.

When I go to Cold Stone, I prefer the chocolate peanut butter milk shake. Ask for extra peanut butter cups. It's incredibly good.

If there's a Mrs. Fields store at your local mall, try one of their smoothies. You pick the cookies and they take 'em right out of the case, throw them in the blender with some "mix" (it's whole milk/heavy cream) and give it a whir.

Chocolate chip cookies in a cup. Yum.

I have been enjoying Turkey Hill Ice Cream for the last few years. It might relate back to an episode in which I took a bowl of ice cream and slowly rub it into and then licked it off of Steven Kessler. Steven has very erect nipples but the cold ice cream made them even moreso. The cold of the ice cream made his testicles draw up tight and as I licked it off, they slowly returned down and then more ice cream for another round trip. That was Turkey Hill Ice Cream for the first but not the last time for me.

Sigh- you put me in mind of Rocky- formerly of Dallas and now of DC where I think he mainly advertises as a masseur. I had an overnight with him a long time ago, some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, and a whirlpool. Sweet memories!!!!

Gman

If there's a Mrs. Fields store at your local mall, try one of their smoothies. You pick the cookies and they take 'em right out of the case, throw them in the blender with some "mix" (it's whole milk/heavy cream) and give it a whir.

Chocolate chip cookies in a cup. Yum.

Oh my....

I may have to head out to Mrs. Fields this weekend. That sounds sinful and oh so right.

Lohengrin

I'm lactose intolerant too. But I don't let it stop me from eating ice cream. By the way- while Lactaid tablets never did much for me, I recently discovered that Lactaid milk is incredible. I've been using it on my cereal lately- let's just say no problems afterwards.

Gman

Ocassionally I will have ice cream, but there are some good yogurts. There's even a gelatto place in San Diego that makes a chocolate gelatto that's dairy- and soy-free!

I like the lactose-free milk, too.

I must confess that ice cream is my favorite food. I only wish it was a healthy choice versus an indulgence because then I could allow myself to eat it at every meal.

As to ice cream versus frozen yogurt, while I do like the mouth feel of good ice cream or gelato better, there are definitely varieties of frozen yogurt that have a lot of flavor. Take, for example, Ben & Jerry's Greek frozen yogurt varieties (I've had them all more than once): peanut butter-banana, blueberry cheesecake, raspberry chocolate chunk, Liz lemon, passionfruit, and strawberry shortcake. With the exception of the strawberry shortcake, they are all excellent. I also like Haagen Dazs' frozen yogurts, particularly the coffee and vanilla raspberry swirl varieties.

As to ice cream versus frozen yogurt, while I do like the mouth feel of good ice cream or gelato better, there are definitely varieties of frozen yogurt that have a lot of flavor. Take, for example, Ben & Jerry's Greek frozen yogurt varieties (I've had them all more than once): peanut butter-banana, blueberry cheesecake, raspberry chocolate chunk, Liz lemon, passionfruit, and strawberry shortcake. With the exception of the strawberry shortcake, they are all excellent.

Wouldn't you know it. Of the flavors that you list, the one that I would really go for the most would be the strawberry shortcake.

Gman

Archived