Thoughts on a respectful email I am contemplating sending to a potential client...

BoogieNights
This topic is 3742 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now that I reread it... I guess I am super long-winded... Maybe that is why I have such amazing stamina.... hmmmmm..... food for thought... Maybe that's why I always hear "less talk... just go faster" from my bf... Forgive me... I'm blonde... It takes a minute.

I agree with the consensus here that this potential client sounds like he is a little bit off, and even if he isn't and it's just a communication issue (or he's just super awkward), the fact that he has made you so uncomfortable and set off your "spider-sense" is reason enough to cut off all contact and not book an appointment with him. I do get the impression, however, that since you all have had a series of e-mails, you drafted your epic response because it was your "turn" to get back to him. If that's the case, then just cutting off all contact might appear rude and unprofessional, and then we'd have a client complaining that Alec & Ryan don't get back to you, or are unprofessional in some other way.

Might it be appropriate to simply say in a very brief e-mail that upon reconsideration, you don't think this is a good match and that you won't be offering your services, but good luck in the future? An abrupt radio silence might come off as too harsh, but after such an e-mail, then cutting off all contact might be more professional. On the other hand, if this guy's behavior really is that alarming, and you don't think he's just an awkward potential client, but is really the bad guy that other pros have told you he is, then perhaps an abrupt end would be best. I don't know what's the better solution, but I just wanted to offer a slightly different perspective.

All that being said, despite chiding yourself for being long-winded, Alec, I think the fact that you took nearly an hour of your time to compose that e-mail, and then had the foresight to seek advice here on the forum before sending it, shows that you're a wonderful guy, who really cares about his potential clients, and doesn't want to intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. That's not being "blond" as you so self-depricatingly put it. It means you're a sweet guy. No matter how jaded this life, and this particular industry, might make you, please don't ever lose that quality.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dayum! All I know is I desperately wanna hire you guys. ;-)

They will both be at the Weekend in PS!:D

... Otherwise, I agree with the consensus opinion as to your request for feedback.

Alec - you have already spent too much time on this person. Please go with the consensus.

Archived