Annoying word for 2013

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am also fed up with people, President Obama included, who insist on dropping a final "g". Thus we have droppin, workin, playin, doin, etc., etc., etc.

Let's give credit where "credit" is due on this one: it is actually Ms. Pailin who perfected this particular form of english language butchery.

People actually (ha ha) say, "That's a great ASK?"

Pardon me while I throw up in my mouth a bit.

T

Yes! I actually literally for the first time heard that in a meeting a couple of weeks ago. The sentence was "we'd thought about it but that would be a really big ask." Huh? I wasn't even sure what I was hearing or what it was supposed to mean. And I thought "how very PROBLEMATIC."

I prefer to celebrate the divirsity of the english language and cheer on all these new idiomatic expressions of a vibrant living language....hurray to all these annoying words....makes us all more alive. Foolow that with the understanding that since classical Greek times intellectuals have been bemoaning the death of civilization as we know it...

"Utilize" used as a replacement for use. The guy at the desk across from me is a huge fan of "utilize".

As long as we're on co-workers -- starting off every sentence with "I understand". When he really, truly, doesn't because he's cut you off before you've finished and has no idea what you were even going to say.

People actually (ha ha) say, "That's a great ASK?"

Pardon me while I throw up in my mouth a bit.

T

The first time I heard that was during an in-person meeting. My boss and I couldn't even look at each other because we would start giggling. At lunch later we agreed that we could not take someone who spoke like that seriously.

Usually used in response to a business proposition, "I'll give you $10,000 for the project." The reply is, "That's a great ask, but we wouldn't consider the project for less than $20,000."

I have also heard "Here's the ask" and "What is your ask?"

I've coined an amazing new word for those problematic resources who actually utilize that word: "askholes."

That's actually just a form of word filler - a way to gather your thoughts before you speak. Silence would be too awkward; the dreaded "umm..." would be too amateur. So people wind up using "well" or "yes" or a myriad of other fillers. Fillers may be annoying, but it's a very common thing, especially in interviews or other extemporaneous speech. (I actually remember studying this in a linguistics class in college, lol.)

I know that it is what linguists call a filler, but it's a relatively recent arrival to that function, which is probably why it irritates me even more than "like" or "you know."

"Do you know where he's at?"

My mother broke my habit of asking this when I was looking for something (Where's my jacket at?) by responding with, "Right before the at." Annoying as it was, it worked & I hear her words every time I hear someone asking where something is at.

My nominations for most annoying: cra-cra (for crazy) and totes (for totally). Usually hear them on television, most often younger people on reality shows & talk shows.

I've been getting annoyed with the overuse of "actually" when it actually doesn't need to be in the sentence at all. Such as "the restaurant is actually on the corner of 5th & Main." It's actually on the corner? Not just on the corner?

Nat_sf----when I saw the title of this thread, I knew I HAD to add the word that most annoys me, but you got here first!! When I hear that word--refuse to use it---I cringe and then tune the person out. In most cases the individual is not worth listening to anyway. Thanks for making me feel there are others out there who share my aversion---or as you put it, pet peeve.

That's actually just a form of word filler - a way to gather your thoughts before you speak. Silence would be too awkward; the dreaded "umm..." would be too amateur. So people wind up using "well" or "yes" or a myriad of other fillers. Fillers may be annoying, but it's a very common thing, especially in interviews or other extemporaneous speech. (I actually remember studying this in a linguistics class in college, lol.)

bostonman---did you use "actually" twice in your post just to annoy some of us, or was it inadvertent??? I hope it was tongue in cheek.

Lets start this yrs. most annoying word/phrase. You guys first. Happy holidays all.

I don't think this is in the same league as some of the better suggestions, but I'm getting tired of the word or phrase "hack" or "life hack" as a tip for how to make a part of your life more efficient. These started as some big ideas for changing the way we interact with the world, and ways to either control the demands of technology or to use technology properly and to our advantage. Now life hacks are often what we used to refer to as "Hints from Heloise".

Here's a life hack for you: paint a dot of nail polish or white-out on the bead at the end of the cord on the blinds that opens the blind so you always pull the correct cord.

Archived