Annoying word for 2013

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3770 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been getting annoyed with the overuse of "actually" when it actually doesn't need to be in the sentence at all. Such as "the restaurant is actually on the corner of 5th & Main." It's actually on the corner? Not just on the corner?

But I'm willing to adopt this as just a pet peeve. Or should I say I'm actually willing to adopt it?

Nate, let's actually add "like" to your statement: It's actually like on the corner - you know, like you know what I'm saying. Just saying here, like whatever.

Yeah now you've got it!

Actually, I need to amend my submission. Driving into work this morning, I heard it on the radio and cringed as I always do: SWEET SPOT. Uh uh nuh uh no.

yes, "awesome" has become a too-hip word to use...."my awesome girlfriend....."

this is a bit old, but realtors and interior decorators seem to like to say that a certain paint color or similar will "really make this room POP"....

and "incentivize" is one of those made-up corporate-speak words that many think is a real word...in fact, my spellcheck just now thinks I made a mistake!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=incentivize

and here is the well-known list of "banished words" for 2013 from Lake Superior State University.....click on "previous lists" for words going back to 1976....like, totally awesome!

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

Twerk.
:cool:

the overuse of "actually"... I'm actually willing to adopt it?
;)

... let's actually add "like"... It's actually like on the corner

... the other word that is used along with "actually" is "literally."
;)

... this is a bit old, but realtors and interior decorators seem to like to say that a certain paint color or similar will "really make this room POP"...
I prefer to POP under the sheets! :cool:

But I have to go with TWERK, it's almost like a frontal lobotomy or something.

"no no no no no", when a single "no" will do.

I'm in the "no problem" camp as well, I read an article on customer service that said it is irritating more and more patrons.

Nate, now I've got to start watching my use of "actually". I've got "literally" licked and I think I kicked "you know/y'know" years ago.

Nate, the other word that is used along with "actually" is "literally." It's literally on the corner. Help! Robe Lowe on Parks & Rec uses literally all the time. He even emphasizes the T.

And many times people use "literally" or sometimes "veritable" to mean something metaphorical instead of real. I hate that.

I also hate the use of the word "viral" in terms of web videos, etc. Though I understand that the word at its most basic means self-replicating, as in a virus, I find it hard to hear the word without thinking of HIV. To me, "going viral" would be a bad thing (i.e. spreading a disease), not a good thing.

And yes, all those words that have developed as corporate-speak/political-speak, often more complicated forms of words we already have. This goes back some time, but I still remember reading an article about a transgender group struggling to find acceptance in a pride parade lineup, and the word that kept getting used was "inclusify." Inclusify?? What the hell ever happened to "include?" I also refuse to accept the word "webinar." It's an ugly word that actually means nothing. Luckily I have yet to have to participate in one of those - and if I ever have to, I will protest on the grounds that they first rename it as something else. :(

I have one nerve left and you're on it........

First I have to give Chris Eisenhower credit for making me laugh. The mental image of him driving and cruising the internet at the same time, well, it hit my sweet spot. ooops , sorry that's someone else's annoying word right?

Oh hell, anyway. Thanks Chris.

I confess I watch way too much political television. I can't help it, it's like a drug. I need an intervention. Funny, I spend so little time in the politics forum. Oh, off point.

I hate the phrase "The truth of the matter is" or "The fact of the matter is" . Whenever you hear that phrase uttered, you can be sure what follows is pure unadulterated horse piss.

Interviewees who automatically start with "Yes...." even though it makes no sense as a response to the question (Q. "What are you going to do about X?" A. "Yes, I need to...."). Athletes frequently do this, apparently because they have been told it shows a positive attitude.

Interviewees who automatically start with "Yes...." even though it makes no sense as a response to the question (Q. "What are you going to do about X?" A. "Yes, I need to...."). Athletes frequently do this, apparently because they have been told it shows a positive attitude.

That's actually just a form of word filler - a way to gather your thoughts before you speak. Silence would be too awkward; the dreaded "umm..." would be too amateur. So people wind up using "well" or "yes" or a myriad of other fillers. Fillers may be annoying, but it's a very common thing, especially in interviews or other extemporaneous speech. (I actually remember studying this in a linguistics class in college, lol.)

Am with Epigonos on this, I hate the made up verb 'to disrespect" Either I respect someone or I don't. In the UK the use of the word "basically" has become ever present and annoying, and is completely unnecessary.

Not just in the UK - basically has literally like crossed the great pond (no problem there either) in an awesome display of linguistic chutzpah that just pops out at you, y'know. Basically, really literally is like totally awesome in its overpowering ubiquitousness.

Archived