Judge Scalia Was Right

Gar1eth
This topic is 3791 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Stove Top stuffing IS better than potatoes.

Unless gravy is involved, which is a game-changer.

What about dressing with gravy (My family calls it dressing because we don't put it inside the bird-never did. And now health authorities don't advise it because it doesn't get hot enough in the cavity to kill all the bacteria.) And you know--I hate to say this--but I just had my Mom's homemade dressing for Thanksgiving. My Mom's a good cook. But I think I may like Stove Top better than hers--please don't tell.

I love mashed potatoes!!! But what is it with leaving the skins in? My mother never did that. How many of your mothers were to lazy to peel the potatoes? Another thing-I like my potatoes mashed--not whipped. Whipping seems to deprive the potatoes of any texture whatsoever-I don't like my potatoes to have the consistency of cream.

Gman

Gravy is nice, but in my family the "big" meals always came with homemade noodles which were used as gravy. All over the dressing and the mashed potatoes. CARB OVERLOAD! Add the carbs to the tryptophan and we were downright comatose.

It came from the fact that both of my folks grew up post-depression and you could make a monster batch of noodles with two eggs and a little flour. It would be cheap and filling and go a long way. But once the family got used to having them, mom could never get out of making them.

Gravy is nice, but in my family the "big" meals always came with homemade noodles which were used as gravy. All over the dressing and the mashed potatoes. CARB OVERLOAD! Add the carbs to the tryptophan and we were downright comatose.

It came from the fact that both of my folks grew up post-depression and you could make a monster batch of noodles with two eggs and a little flour. It would be cheap and filling and go a long way. But once the family got used to having them, mom could never get out of making them.

Scalia to gravy in just a few posts!

I like gravy on mashed potatoes but not on anything else. Despite that, but you say "gravy", I can't help but think

http://img4-3.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/sl/07/11/buttermilk-biscuits-sl-1673191-l.jpg

Butter or margarine only please.

Love all you foodies! I prefer my own dressing vs packaged. I use packaged when I don't have time. Mine is is a combo of my mothers, and my own. I spend a lot of time. Making my own seasoned croutons with a number of spices. I found adding a lb of sausage to either homemade/packaged is a deal breaker. I also stuff my birds. Fed my family for decades from stuffed birds. I'm well aware of the issue of bacterial growth in foul. Having a bacteriology background. If a bird is stuffed or not, we should be aware that the internal temp is high enough to kill bacteria. The issue with stuffing is that people but warm stuffing in a cold bird, and then don't bring up the temp up. Internally the bird begins to cook from the warm temp of the stuffing, and then we don't bring the temp back up, take the bird out early, and we have the possibility have lots 'o bacteriology. + gravy on potatoes, and stuffing! Also leave about 1/2 the skin on potaotes for mashing. Gives a boost to the potatoes. Use Yukon golds, buttery flavor. Lets talk pizza. Make my own.

Love all you foodies! I prefer my own dressing vs packaged. I use packaged when I don't have time. Mine is is a combo of my mothers, and my own. I spend a lot of time. Making my own seasoned croutons with a number of spices. I found adding a lb of sausage to either homemade/packaged is a deal breaker. I also stuff my birds. Fed my family for decades from stuffed birds. I'm well aware of the issue of bacterial growth in foul. Having a bacteriology background. If a bird is stuffed or not, we should be aware that the internal temp is high enough to kill bacteria. The issue with stuffing is that people but warm stuffing in a cold bird, and then don't bring up the temp up. Internally the bird begins to cook from the warm temp of the stuffing, and then we don't bring the temp back up, take the bird out early, and we have the possibility have lots 'o bacteriology. + gravy on potatoes, and stuffing! Also leave about 1/2 the skin on potaotes for mashing. Gives a boost to the potatoes. Use Yukon golds, buttery flavor. Lets talk pizza. Make my own.

Well if you know your cavity is hot enough then I guess it's ok to stuff it. :eek:

But I refute your claim on leaving skin on mashed potatoes. And I'm not sure I really like Yukon Gold potatoes either. Give me good old fashioned Idaho potatoes. I only used to put butter on my potatoes on the ones from TV dinners or the ones they used to give us on school lunches. At home Mom always made them with milk and margarine , and you didn't need to add extra.

Gman

I really like Gman's mom!!.....old-fashioned preparation....traditional methods....

gallahad: Jones' sausage!!....the little links were a standard in our house since I was a baby....

one Xmas at the big family get-together, my grandmother (a legendary midwestern cook in the family) was in charge of the gravy....instead of sifted flour, she accidentally put powdered sugar in it....she felt horrible

http://i4.peapod.com/c/TN/TNI5S.jpg

Yep, here it is. The Court's opinion, quoting Scalia's opinion in Lawrence v. Texas (2003):

(Majority opinion)The court therefore agrees with the portion of Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion in Lawrence in which Justice Scalia stated that the Court’s reasoning logically extends to protect an individual’s right to marry a person of the same sex:

[scalia's opinion in Lawrence v. Texas] Today’s opinion dismantles the structure of constitutional law that has permitted a distinction to be made between heterosexual and homosexual unions, insofar as formal recognition in marriage is concerned. If moral disapprobation of homosexual conduct is “no legitimate state interest” for purposes of proscribingthat conduct, . . . what justification could there possibly be for denying the benefits of marriage to homosexual couples exercising “the liberty protected by the Constitution”?

Hehe.

Archived