Gay marriage (yawn...)

Charlie
This topic is 3751 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found it interesting that the state Supreme Court yesterday made New Mexico the 17th state in which same sex marriage is now legal, yet no one mentioned the fact on this site. I guess the subject is no longer newsworthy.

The N.M. decision was pretty well expected and wasn't a big surprise. The decision today out of Utah is a huge surprise and I was coming to comment on it. Utah. Payback for Prop 8 sure tastes sweet.

I just wish that more of these victories were coming from a plebiscite rather than only thru the legislature or judicial pronouncements. Still since it's the right thing to do. I'll take what I can get.

By the way- Wikipedia says that 'plebiscite' is considered archaic in American English. Would that have had to be determined sometime in the last 46 years (the period of time that I have been able to read-starting at age 6)? I'm sure I've seen it used in reputable publications in my lifetime. Otherwise how would I have I known it? I'm not really a scholar or have read much on historical referendums put before the public to vote which is the word 'plebiscite' would have been likely to be used.

Gman

I just wish that more of these victories were coming from a plebiscite rather than only thru the legislature or judicial pronouncements. Still since it's the right thing to do. I'll take what I can get.

By the way- Wikipedia says that 'plebiscite' is considered archaic in American English. Would that have had to be determined sometime in the last 46 years (the period of time that I have been able to read-starting at age 6)? I'm sure I've seen it used in reputable publications in my lifetime. Otherwise how would I have I known it? I'm not really a scholar or have read much on historical referendums put before the public to vote which is the word 'plebiscite' would have been likely to be used.

Gman

If we were waiting for the citizens to vote on integration, Mississippi and Alabama would still have separate but equal schools (Alabama has twice voted to keep separate but equal school laws on their books) and the separate water fountains would still be busy.

You don't vote on the rights of others.

If we were waiting for the citizens to vote on integration, Mississippi and Alabama would still have separate but equal schools (Alabama has twice voted to keep separate but equal school laws on their books) and the separate water fountains would still be busy.

And don't forget that the CURRENT (albeit outgoing) atty. general of Virginia, the Cooch, fought all the way to the Supreme Court to allow the state to keep its long-illegal sodomy laws on the books as recently as last year. (Possibly even this year. It was recent.)

Correction: WE don't vote on the rights of others. In many countries (see: Russia), they still do.

I just wish that more of these victories were coming from a plebiscite rather than only thru the legislature or judicial pronouncements. Still since it's the right thing to do. I'll take what I can get...

Gman

I don't think people's rights should be subject to a popular vote.

I'm surprised to hear that 'plebiscite' is considered archaic in American English. I respectfully disagree!! I learned that word in junior high school more than 60 years ago, and I've seen it used many times since then.

However, 'referendum' would be more accurate to describe a popular vote on gay marriage, or most other issues, such as construction of a sports stadium. A plebiscite usually describes a vote by a population group on what country they wish to adhere to or join. When Czechoslovakia voted to form the Czech Republic and Slovakia, that was a plebiscite.

And I agree with you that decisions on gay marriage would have more validity and acceptance if they came via popular voting, rather than judicial decision. Without courageous judges, we'd still have racial segregation in some states. As you say regarding gay marriage, I, too, will take what I can get.

The NM case came from the state's highest court and was based on the state constitution, so it cannot be appealed. The Utah decision was from a federal district judge, so there are two levels of appeal, which the state has already done. Interestingly, the state didn't file a motion for a stay, however, so for now, Utah is in our column.

Kevin Slater

You misunderstand. I wish that enough people realized it's the right thing to do so that it would pass when voted on as opposed to being imposed from on high. But again I realize that's unlikely, so I will take legislative and judicial actions as that may be all I can expect.

Gman

Archived