Duck dynasty's start homophobic comments.

MalcomXpark

An interesting take from a gay writer at Time...http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/19/the-duck-dynasty-fiasco-says-more-about-our-bigotry-than-phils/

GK Chesterton said that bigotry is “an incapacity to conceive seriously the alternative to a proposition.” If he is right—and he usually is—then I wonder if the Duck Dynasty fiasco says more about our bigotry than Phil’s.

“The most progressive thing about Joe Biden is his dementia” - Braeden Sorbo

Fascinating article and an interesting perspective. I disagree of course, on many levels, but the brilliance of this forum and so many others like it, is that someone always puts forth an alternative thought, that at the very least, gives us a chance to pause, and to contemplate the many sides of every issue. Thanks for the post ISC...

Edited by bigvalboy

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Brandon Ambrosino I don't know if he could be classified as gay even if he sleeps with men. See the discussion on HuffPo about his support for the Advocate making Pope Francis Man of the Year. Self-loathing comes to mind with him.

Lee

=======

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand but touches your heart.

Oh for heaven's sake, have we as gay men become so freakish as to not let some red neck, 15 minute of fame guy speak his mind, hey, I speak my mind too. How the hell did the Duck Dynasty become such a hit, someone in our USA must like it, it's bizarre to me, so be it. Don't let the LBGT community make this more than it is, a red neck who made his points. Let's move on for god sakes

Oh for heaven's sake, have we as gay men become so freakish as to not let some red neck, 15 minute of fame guy speak his mind, hey, I speak my mind too. How the hell did the Duck Dynasty become such a hit, someone in our USA must like it, it's bizarre to me, so be it. Don't let the LBGT community make this more than it is, a red neck who made his points. Let's move on for god sakes

I think it's just publicity, like the Cheney sister's fight.

I agree with you, he's just a redneck with money, what can we expect.

It seems to me that most of the reactions are responses to the backlash. Friends and public figures alike are objecting to A&E's decision to suspend him, and calling it suppression of "free speech". I personally agree that Robertson has a right to speak his mind, and he has exercised that right. A&E has reasonable justification to take him off the air though if it's not the message they want to broadcast. I'm appalled by the people who think that A&E's response is out of line, and that conservative Christian free speech rights are being violated because this guy has been suspended from his television show.

It seems to me that most of the reactions are responses to the backlash. Friends and public figures alike are objecting to A&E's decision to suspend him, and calling it suppression of "free speech". I personally agree that Robertson has a right to speak his mind, and he has exercised that right. A&E has reasonable justification to take him off the air though if it's not the message they want to broadcast. I'm appalled by the people who think that A&E's response is out of line, and that conservative Christian free speech rights are being violated because this guy has been suspended from his television show.

I agree. No one is saying that he doesn't have the right to speak his mind. But A&E also has the right to make business decisions as well. He has the right to say what he wants, and A&E has the right to fire him. There are many things I might say that would get me fired from my job. This guy would be a good fit as an employee for Chick Fil-A. Many customers go to Chick Fil-A simply because the place is homophobic. But public statements one makes might impact a number of jobs, especially if the statements may be seen as offensive to a large segment of the population. There's a reason those creeps in the KKK wear hoods when they do their hateful acts.

I agree. No one is saying that he doesn't have the right to speak his mind. But A&E also has the right to make business decisions as well. He has the right to say what he wants, and A&E has the right to fire him. There are many things I might say that would get me fired from my job. This guy would be a good fit as an employee for Chick Fil-A. Many customers go to Chick Fil-A simply because the place is homophobic. But public statements one makes might impact a number of jobs, especially if the statements may be seen as offensive to a large segment of the population. There's a reason those creeps in the KKK wear hoods when they do their hateful acts.

EXACTLY!! IN most businesses if a manager/leader says even less and loses the ability to lead their team they are history.

Democrats and Independents shouldn't forget in the next election they "types" that defend this backwoods creep. They include Bobby Jindal, Cruz and Sarah Palin. Bobby isn't doing well in the LA polls and Sarah is a non event but everyone they along with Cruz aren't learning anything about the continuing change in the country's populace.

If "Pa" Robertson had said what he said while appearing on "Duck Dynasty" I think I would be inclined to agree with A&E's decision to place him on indefinite hiatus. He was being interviewed by a magazine reporter at his home over a number of hours of Q and A. The writer probably edited many of the remarks he heard. I suspect that A&E does a lot of editing to get the hour that they actually broadcast---the bloopers that end up on the floor might be very interesting, to say the least.

Robertson's opinions are not mine, his sartorial choices are not mine, his grooming habits are not mine and his religious beliefs are not mine; I have never watched "Duck Dynasty" and I never shall---but my choice has nothing to do with his views on gays or race or anything else. I'm just not interested in watching a wealthy family pitch a product I would never buy---including their "Duck Dynasty" chocolate bars. which I see at my regional grocery store.

It is interesting how much air and print time this has elicited---hopefully it will be pushed off center stage SOON. For some strange reason, it reminds me of the ridiculous brouhaha over Puxatawhney Phil and Groundhog's Day.

EXACTLY!! IN most businesses if a manager/leader says even less and loses the ability to lead their team they are history.

Democrats and Independents shouldn't forget in the next election they "types" that defend this backwoods creep. They include Bobby Jindal, Cruz and Sarah Palin. Bobby isn't doing well in the LA polls and Sarah is a non event but everyone they along with Cruz aren't learning anything about the continuing change in the country's populace.

Obesity, poverty and conservatism in the U.S. Make your own conclusions...

http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2011-11-15-obesity_map/obesity_by_county_large.png

http://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/percent-of-population-in-poverty-by-county.png

Good question, rocky, why does this redneck have the power to freak out gays? He always believed what he said, the church he attends has his message in their literature - straight from the Apostle Paul. It's just now that GQ has published him saying it, A&E wants to cut him from the show? Weird, and culturally narrow-minded.

Fascinating article and an interesting perspective. I disagree of course, on many levels, but the brilliance of this forum and so many others like it, is that someone always puts forth an alternative thought, that at the very least, gives us a chance to pause, and to contemplate the many sides of every issue. Thanks for the post ISC...
Thanks BVB. I think disagreement is good. Just think where we'd be if we didn't allow alternative thoughts and behaviors?

A&E knew the man is a "Preacher" why his opinion came as a shock to them makes little sense...
Exactly! And it makes no sense now that A&E is promoting a Marathon of Duck Dynasty episodes starring their just suspended star? I wonder if A&E is going to withhold his residual checks for those episodes? After all, indefinite suspension would suggest no longer getting paid???

I think the word is intolerance? He can hold his opinion - which he obviously has since his 'conversion'. But broadcasting them in GQ magazine is worthy of suspension. The backlash is just intolerance of someone who holds a different opinion.

If "Pa" Robertson had said what he said while appearing on "Duck Dynasty" I think I would be inclined to agree with A&E's decision to place him on indefinite hiatus. He was being interviewed by a magazine reporter at his home over a number of hours of Q and A. The writer probably edited many of the remarks he heard. I suspect that A&E does a lot of editing to get the hour that they actually broadcast---the bloopers that end up on the floor might be very interesting, to say the least.

Robertson's opinions are not mine, his sartorial choices are not mine, his grooming habits are not mine and his religious beliefs are not mine; I have never watched "Duck Dynasty" and I never shall---but my choice has nothing to do with his views on gays or race or anything else. I'm just not interested in watching a wealthy family pitch a product I would never buy---including their "Duck Dynasty" chocolate bars. which I see at my regional grocery store.

It is interesting how much air and print time this has elicited---hopefully it will be pushed off center stage SOON. For some strange reason, it reminds me of the ridiculous brouhaha over Puxatawhney Phil and Groundhog's Day.

I think if you read some of the follow-up stories, A&E attempted to negotiate with the Robertsons to leave the name Jesus out of their tv show, too. Yet A&E continues to broadcast the show after failing to do so. Seems A&E can edit Robertson in other media outlets while at the same time is unable to edit Jesus out of their own show.

Interesting level of stupidity we have here in America. The same place where Alex Baldwin gets canned from MSNBC for what he may or may not have called a paparazzo on the streets of New York, while Martin Bashir gets two weeks off to think about calling for Sarah Palin to be forced into Scat. After his restful time thinking about it Bashir resigned.

Double standards everywhere.... on-screen behavior is OK, on street behavior can get you fired - Alternative thought must be allowed, but not thinking alternatively must be punished... just weird...

“The most progressive thing about Joe Biden is his dementia” - Braeden Sorbo

Yeah, some real rednecks for sure...

http://duckdynastyfullepisodes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/no-beards.jpg

I never think of zoophilia...

Just goes to show you Northern Virginians are not really Southerners! :D

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. If we knew what we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Einstein

"The Universe is not only queerer than we imagine; it is queerer than we can imagine." J.B.S. Haldane

"If the idea is not at first absurd, then there is no hope for it." Einstein

• 2 years later...

http://www.trbimg.com/img-582de156/turbine/la-cdzurilla-1479401839-snap-photo/900/900x506

Enjoy “Duck Dynasty” while you can: The show’s 11th season will be its last, the Robertson family announced Thursday.

“After five years, we've decided as a family for this to be the final chapter of the 'Duck Dynasty' series,” Jase Robertson said in a lighthearted video on Facebook that promised “the best season yet.”

(T-rump probably needs them for his Cabinet)

Whoever would have guessed that a TV reality star with no government experience, 6 bankruptcies, 5 children from 3 different marriages, 11 charges of sexual assault, 4,000+ lawsuits would turn out this bad?

http://www.trbimg.com/img-582de156/turbine/la-cdzurilla-1479401839-snap-photo/900/900x506

Enjoy “Duck Dynasty” while you can: The show’s 11th season will be its last, the Robertson family announced Thursday.

“After five years, we've decided as a family for this to be the final chapter of the 'Duck Dynasty' series,” Jase Robertson said in a lighthearted video on Facebook that promised “the best season yet.”

(T-rump probably needs them for his Cabinet)

Gone because the ratings tanked.

Phil Robertson was banned from the series in 2013 following that bigoted interview he gave with GQ about homosexuality, though he was later brought back onto the show. It was after Robertson’s remarks that “Duck Dynasty” took a serious ratings hit. Never recovered.

Clearly their efforts to dumb down the GOP electorate has been a complete success, culminating in Trump's election. Their work here is finished.

Whoever would have guessed that a TV reality star with no government experience, 6 bankruptcies, 5 children from 3 different marriages, 11 charges of sexual assault, 4,000+ lawsuits would turn out this bad?

• 8 months later...
Clearly their efforts to dumb down the GOP electorate has been a complete success, culminating in Trump's election. Their work here is finished.

bf5514e06e652e52a8ee168b018a4b6b395d75e8a71f119e89d2874ca158f4d6.jpg