American Airlines

Poppie
This topic is 3772 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My last experience with AA was a "direct flight", BOS to Tucson, stop in DFW. Well, they cancelled the second part of the flight, and despite my thinking I was

in first class (the only fare available at booking was Y-Up), I was placed, not in first class, but in seat 37E. I'll leave you knowledgable ones to figure that that

seat is (1) not in first class, and (2) not a particularly good seat on any airline.

My experience with US Airways, BOS-Charlotte- Jamaica was wonderful. I can only hope American will rise to USAirways quality, rather than USA dropping

to American's abyssmal service.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My last experience with AA was a "direct flight", BOS to Tucson, stop in DFW. Well, they cancelled the second part of the flight, and despite my thinking I was

in first class (the only fare available at booking was Y-Up), I was placed, not in first class, but in seat 37E. I'll leave you knowledgable ones to figure that that

seat is (1) not in first class, and (2) not a particularly good seat on any airline.

My experience with US Airways, BOS-Charlotte- Jamaica was wonderful. I can only hope American will rise to USAirways quality, rather than USA dropping

American Airline and all other American owned airlines for that matter suck in a bad way. My latest flight was delayed by 2 hours causing me to miss my connecting flight out of the country.

With the latest budget deal inferring that airline ticket costs weren't high enough for consumers, I wonder what the flying experience would be like if all the airlines worked up over maybe a year their airfares by an average of $20-$100 + (would vary depending on the current price for each route), gave customers meals on flights over 2 hours (boxes are fine), put some more room wider seats in some areas and more leg room overall, etc. Maybe customers would be less grumpy, wouldn't bring awful smelling food on the plane, etc. There are probably other changes that would improve the whole flying/traveling experience. And stop upgrading frequent fliers into a class on the plane they didn't pay for (as an example, Lufthansa doesn't do that) with miles or cash. United bugs me when they insist on filling the front of the plane with free upgrades with most of those people looking/acting poorly. "Class up" the whole experience and maybe airline employees and customers would be happier. Moving the price up over time should alleviate the concerns of some airline executives that they will lose business and if people can't afford the additional amount, since gas prices are lower than the past few years they can drive.

I haven't been that thrilled by US Airways the few times I've been on it. The planes have often been old. Once we waited for over thirty minutes at the Charlotte Airport for some flight attendant. And the airline had no idea where the attendant was. Just that they were in route to the airport. It didn't really sound feasible in this day and age of cellphones and 2-way pagers not to be able to know where the attendant was and what the ETA of his/her arrival at the airport would be. And let's not forget that several years ago US AIR had the worst record on losing luggage. I will say the food is fairly decent at the Charlotte Airport but there isn't the variety of choices you get at DFW.

Gman

After deregulation prices plummeted, airlines lost money, service went down the tubes and the Walmart shopper became the average passenger. My hope is that with the consolidation in the industry prices will go up, service will go up, and flying will be as enjoyable as it was when I was a child. Hopefully a doubling of pricing would work. As a side benefit, Greyhound would get back all the passengers they lost. :)

Guest boiworship08

With 1.7 million miles on American, I'm pretty loyal. Their international service is subpar in business, but the service and planes from California are usually above average, especially from Orange County, where the prole percentage is lower than average. I agree that higher prices would improve the whole flying experience.

I simply said to a stewardess, "Excuse me, but when will you be serving dinner?" (I always laugh when I recall the look on her face) she smiled and said to me, "Sir there is no food on this flight and we have not had for a few years now" I was very surprised. She said that "AA had taken all food service off the 'red eye' including the ovens to save on fuel, and had also done consumer surveys that suggested people preferred cheaper flights instead of food service." That gentlemen was a direct quote. I asked if I could have some water, and at least a bag of chips. She said, "absolutely", handed me a bottled water, pulled out a drawer that was filled with a variety of chips. I took several bags and returned to my seat, and rapidly consumed the entire lot....That's it!

When you have to beg for chips it's not considered FC anymore. Sorry that you had a bad experience.

As a seasoned traveller it would be wise to check ahead of time what the food service on your flight is, especially with an airline you're not familiar with.

Airline Travel is not what it was, I can remember the 60's when you wore your best clothes etc.

LCC (low cost carriers) are the norm these days, and many full service carriers offer LCC service. It's like bus trip, with passengers to match.

I regularly fly Garuda ( an airline which many people say they refuse to get on), outstanding service and comfort, in the front cabins.

I will be on the red eye Monday night DPS to SYD, as soon as the crew can move around the cabin after take off they close the cabin down for the night, allowing those who want to sleep maximum zzzzz time. others like me who rarely sleep on planes, the very qiuetly offer me a snack and a cocktail by tray service. Prior to arrival it's espresso and a three option full breakfast service.

That is customer service. meanwhile the knockers are all doing BOB with the LCC , providing the food and bev has not run out

I fly AA all the time. What surprises me most with this story, is the flight attendant saying they haven't served food for years on the transcontinental red eyes. Simply not true. I've been flying these routes monthly for years and have always received snack service in first. I flew LA to W.Palm Beach last week and I had a fruit and cheese plate.

Sounds like flight just didn't get catered and attendant just made up excuses.

As a side benefit, Greyhound would get back all the passengers they lost. :)

I'm a middle class guy--born and bred. Sentencing me back to Greyhound--or anyone for that matter unless you are an adolescent on a chartered group trip--is a fate worse than death.

Gman

Airline Travel is not what it was, I can remember the 60's when you wore your best clothes etc.

I remember that too. But you dressed up everywhere in those days. I dressed up for Sunday school as a child. I dressed up for regular weekday school--at least better than the blue jeans I started wearing in about 4th grade/ 1971 and was supposed to put on 'play clothes' when I got home, or the shorts I would wear during the spring in high school (it was hot where I lived and very little air conditioning in my high school).

But what you aren't remembering from that time is the smoking section. My first flight--I was going stand-by--only rich people in my acquaintance had confirmed seats. You usually got on in stand-by. I'm assuming fares were more likely to be refundable in those days. So my first flight-there I was slacks, nice shirt, and sportscoat. And I get put into the smoking section. My row mate was a young mother with a child in a bassinette-in the SMOKING SECTION.

So yes, I look around at places and think people sure did dress up more in the past and they looked nice-or I grow a bit nostalgic when you see those scenes --and it's a big butof air travel/restaurants on old movies. BUT, and it's a big but, I remember also how uncomfortable those clothes were. I fortunately have probably had to wear a suit or even slacks on less than 20 flights in my life as I have almost always flown for pleasure and not for business. I have always looked around and been very thankful that I am not required to travel in a suit and tie. So as nice as it looks, I'll stick with my blue jeans--happily I might add- on airplane flights.

Gman

What about beefing-up Amtrak? I think the idea of "high speed rails" in the USofA is smoke and mirrors: Fast trains don't go

through a foot of new-fallen snow.

I enjoyed Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class a few years ago, JFK-LHR. Dinner in the airport (on their dime). A nightcap on board,

then lights out (9 pm takeoff). Arrive with a quick snack and coffee at about 6 am local time (maybe seven). Get the luggage;

take a shower; eat breakfast (all on their dime, again). THAT was travel.

I remember that too. But you dressed up everywhere in those days. I dressed up for Sunday school as a child. I dressed up for regular weekday school--at least better than the blue jeans I started wearing in about 4th grade/ 1971 and was supposed to put on 'play clothes' when I got home, or the shorts I would wear during the spring in high school (it was hot where I lived and very little air conditioning in my high school).

But what you aren't remembering from that time is the smoking section. My first flight--I was going stand-by--only rich people in my acquaintance had confirmed seats. You usually got on in stand-by. I'm assuming fares were more likely to be refundable in those days. So my first flight-there I was slacks, nice shirt, and sportscoat. And I get put into the smoking section. My row mate was a young mother with a child in a bassinette-in the SMOKING SECTION.

So yes, I look around at places and think people sure did dress up more in the past and they looked nice-or I grow a bit nostalgic when you see those scenes --and it's a big butof air travel/restaurants on old movies. BUT, and it's a big but, I remember also how uncomfortable those clothes were. I fortunately have probably had to wear a suit or even slacks on less than 20 flights in my life as I have almost always flown for pleasure and not for business. I have always looked around and been very thankful that I am not required to travel in a suit and tie. So as nice as it looks, I'll stick with my blue jeans--happily I might add- on airplane flights.

Gman

I go to Europe once a year to visit family, always in the winter. I save like crazy all year so I can fly in Business Class and if I shop early, I usually find very good deals. I hate traveling "sloppy" and have found a solution that works very well for me. I always put sweat pants and a baggy sweater in my carryon. That way, I can wear nice clothes on departure and arrival but be comfy on the plane. Since Business and First board first, I get on the plane, find my seat, then head for the lavatory to change into my traveling outfit. A couple of hours before landing, I change back into my good clothes. I'm too old and too fastidious to wear crappy clothes on a long flight and if I have a layover and spend a couple of hours in the Business lounge, I want to look like I deserve to be there!!

Archived