American Airlines

Poppie
This topic is 3771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently flew AA from TPA to MIA to SJU and back again. Very nice First Class experience. Got an email asking what we wanted for lunch on the MIA/SJU segment. And they delivered. The nicest surprise was on our return, the 757 was recently updated with almost completely lie flat seats. Individual monitor with remote control. Having that nice equipment on a fairly short flight was great!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coach red eyes arent usually known for service

LOL...obviously

in first they serve a meal.

Not on this flight

american has never handed out chips and bottled water to either cabin

I had to ask for water, then went to the rear of the plane to get chips. I was starving. I boarded expecting food. They were however extremely accommodating with the 'hound'....she had a delightful flight, me...not so much. I prefer the "Boys on Virgin"

LOL...obviously

Not on this flight

I had to ask for water, then went to the rear of the plane to get chips. I was starving. I boarded expecting food. They were however extremely accommodating with the 'hound'....she had a delightful flight, me...not so much. I prefer the "Boys on Virgin"

First, if DavidSF praises them. That's about the best recommendation I would trust--David travels extensively and arranges travel for many, plus he is very emphatic about proper operations.

Second, American has pulled me out of 2 jams that were not their fault at all.

Finally, American has a place on their flight details that tells the food/beverage service for that flight and affected classes. I don't know of anyone not flying first class who expect full food/beverage service

You must have hit them at a very unusual scenario for them.

Boston Bill

Finally, American has a place on their flight details that tells the food/beverage service for that flight and affected classes. I don't know of anyone not flying first class who expect full food/beverage service

You must have hit them at a very unusual scenario for them.

Boston Bill

Correct Boston. There is always a snack service in the F cabin on the AA redeyes between LAX and MIA. I know.....I've been on it a gazillion times. Usually it's a deli plate, a chicken sandwich, or a chicken salad. Typically it is served right after take-off from LAX. Many passengers (myself included) decline cause they just want to sleep.

The AA website clearly show a snack service in F for both AA redeyes LAX-MIA.

Sounds to me like someone slept through the snack service, the flight was not catered properly, or someone was sitting in coach (where there is no snack).

American Airlines & Eagle have always treated myself and any Traveling Friends very well with any Customer Service Situations that have come up. I definitely like the New LOGO also! ;)

I agree AA is one of, if not the best of the legacy carriers. I fly AA and UA a whole lot each year and AA beats the pants off UA in nearly all respects.

An interesting development on the new AA logo/livery has emerged. The new logo has been met with a very lukewarm reception from both AA employees and the flying public. So much so that AA sent a memo to all employees this week announcing that they will be allowed to vote on the new logo (whether to change it or keep it). There will be two choices I believe: keep the new logo as it is or change the tail from the stylized American flag to going back to the eagle wings. Under both options, the fuselage in front of the tail would remain with the new design.

Well gentlemen I beg to differ...LOL I did not l "sleep" through "snack service" LOL, but waited patiently for the stewardess to start serving. I kept looking back waiting for the cart service. Finally a couple of hours into the flight it was lights out and everyone was clearly turning in for the evening. Starving and getting a little light headed from lack of food which I had expected, I looked back and saw the flight crew in the rear of the plane. I went the entire length of the plane to the rear, where I found "all" of the flight attendants sitting comfortably in the last row reading magazines. I used the lavatory and when I came out I simply said to a stewardess, "Excuse me, but when will you be serving dinner?" (I always laugh when I recall the look on her face) she smiled and said to me, "Sir there is no food on this flight and we have not had for a few years now" I was very surprised. She said that "AA had taken all food service off the 'red eye' including the ovens to save on fuel, and had also done consumer surveys that suggested people preferred cheaper flights instead of food service." That gentlemen was a direct quote. I asked if I could have some water, and at least a bag of chips. She said, "absolutely", handed me a bottled water, pulled out a drawer that was filled with a variety of chips. I took several bags and returned to my seat, and rapidly consumed the entire lot....That's it!

No one is bashing AA, I applaud DavidSF and anyone else who chooses to fly them. I was simply relating one incident on AA on one flight. We all have many choices in air travel, I never fly AA, and only did so because Virgin couldn't accommodate the 'hound'. As I said, they were absolutely wonderful with the pooch. When I arrived they initially said that she and the carrier were too large and too heavy per flight regulations, handed me back my ticket and told me to return the following day when I could purchase a smaller carrier that fit the correct parameters. I was over by 3 lbs. and the carrier was 2 inches too high. It was 11:30 pm by then, I told her that was impossible, my driver had already left, and I had a business associate waiting for me on the other end, and a meeting I had to be in by 9 am the next morning. I asked to see a supervisor and was blessed to get probably the nicest person you could imagine. An angel of a supervisor winked at me and turned to the ticket agent and said, "It shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure the plane has enough horse power to carry the extra poundage, and that the carrier will actually fit." She handed me my ticket and said, "I hope you enjoy the flight" Well that's it gentlemen.....

Happy flying to all. I normally fly Virgin, so I am guessing I won't be seeing many of you. Cheers.

Well gentlemen I beg to differ...LOL I did not l "sleep" through "snack service" LOL, but waited patiently for the stewardess to start serving. I kept looking back waiting for the cart service. Finally a couple of hours into the flight it was lights out and everyone was clearly turning in for the evening. Starving and getting a little light headed from lack of food which I had expected, I looked back and saw the flight crew in the rear of the plane. I went the entire length of the plane to the rear, where I found "all" of the flight attendants sitting comfortably in the last row reading magazines. I used the lavatory and when I came out I simply said to a stewardess, "Excuse me, but when will you be serving dinner?" (I always laugh when I recall the look on her face) she smiled and said to me, "Sir there is no food on this flight and we have not had for a few years now" I was very surprised. She said that "AA had taken all food service off the 'red eye' including the ovens to save on fuel, and had also done consumer surveys that suggested people preferred cheaper flights instead of food service." That gentlemen was a direct quote. I asked if I could have some water, and at least a bag of chips. She said, "absolutely", handed me a bottled water, pulled out a drawer that was filled with a variety of chips. I took several bags and returned to my seat, and rapidly consumed the entire lot....That's it!

No one is bashing AA, I was simply relating one incident on AA on one flight. I never fly them, and only did so because Virgin couldn't accommodate the 'hound'. As I said, they were absolutely wonderful with the pooch. When I arrived they initially said that she and the carrier were too large and too heavy per flight regulations, handed me back my ticket and told me to return the following day when I could purchase a smaller carrier that fit the correct parameters. I was over by 3 lbs. and the carrier was 2 inches too high. It was 11:30 pm by then, I told her that was impossible, my driver had already left, and I had a business associate waiting for me on the other end, and a meeting I had to be in by 9 am the next morning. I asked to see a supervisor and was blessed to get probably the nicest person you could imagine. An angel of a supervisor winked at me and turned to the ticket agent and said, "It shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure the plane has enough horse power to carry the extra poundage, and that the carrier will actually fit." She handed me my ticket and said, "I hope you enjoy the flight" Well that's it gentlemen.....

Happy flying to all. I normally fly Virgin, so I am guessing I won't be seeing many of you. Cheers.

I liked this thread; I liked reading all of the posts.

AA was formerly my plane of choice, but if I have to fly coach domestically, my choice of airlines has to be Virgin America and Southwest. VA was wonderful to me when I had to abort my international trip in late 2012. I'd left my passport in California so could not fly onward to Europe. I was so distraught, so in my return to San Francisco via JFK, the Virgin airline assistant upgraded me and did not charge me a fee for having to change my return a month later to a day's. I was elated as well as comfortable.

I liked this thread; I liked reading all of the posts.

AA was formerly my plane of choice, but if I have to fly coach domestically, my choice of airlines has to be Virgin America and Southwest. VA was wonderful to me when I had to abort my international trip in late 2012. I'd left my passport in California so could not fly onward to Europe. I was so distraught, so in my return to San Francisco via JFK, the Virgin airline assistant upgraded me and did not charge me a fee for having to change my return a month later to a day's. I was elated as well as comfortable.

Dear God AX, what a nightmare, I can't imagine your initial reaction when you realized your passport was missing....It's like the first time your reach for your wallet and find it gone. It must have been horrible for you.

For those of you who follow David-sf on Facebook, you know about his recent experience with AA. And how they went so far above and beyond the call of duty. I was very impressed with all he had to say about their help in dealing with him. Seeing how they treat someone in times of trouble is a great sign.

I was glad AA was so nice to David, but I am thinking they did it because of his high AAdvantage status. I doubt a peon like me without very many miles would have been treated so well.

As for American I've mostly used them as they have been most convenient for my flights. But on their smaller planes and also on American Eagle flights the seats are very small and uncomfortable. The cushions are barely thicker than cardboard. I have the same viewpoint on Southwest. Basically I used to be willing to put up with Southwest for short flights. But aside from free baggage which there are rumors they may stop at some point in the near future, now that they cost usually just as much as any other airline ( and for long trips because they have almost no non-stops the trips can take hours ) why would you settle for cattle call seating ( I've never noticed that it helped seat me faster especially not nowadays when everyone is bringing overhead luggage), uncomfortable seats, and no food service? If I'm not flying the short distances between Houston, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio I try to avoid Southwest at all costs.

Gman

I was glad AA was so nice to David, but I am thinking they did it because of his high AAdvantage status. I doubt a peon like me without very many miles would have been treated so well.

As for American I've mostly used them as they have been most convenient for my flights. But on their smaller planes and also on American Eagle flights the seats are very small and uncomfortable. The cushions are barely thicker than cardboard. I have the same viewpoint on Southwest. Basically I used to be willing to put up with Southwest for short flights. But aside from free baggage which there are rumors they may stop at some point in the near future, now that they cost usually just as much as any other airline ( and for long trips because they have almost no non-stops the trips can take hours ) why would you settle for cattle call seating ( I've never noticed that it helped seat me faster especially not nowadays when everyone is bringing overhead luggage), uncomfortable seats, and no food service? If I'm not flying the short distances between Houston, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio I try to avoid Southwest at all costs.

Gman

Well there is always.......LOL

[video=youtube;RfmRKHtzfFs]

I never fly American unless I absolutely never have any other options. They raped TWA when they bought it from Carl Icahn, who had already raped TWA and sold all of their most profitable routes. Then in spite of numerous promises, they practically destroyed the St Louis hub. Their small planes are old, uncomfortable and they have not treated their employees fairly, especially those that were "integrated" from TWA. This has happened in so many other cities. The only places you get somewhat decent service from American is where they go head to head with UA, Delta, Virgin or other airlines that put them to shame. It does help if you have the top status on AA or UA or Delta or any other airline. I know that from experience too. The Star Alliance is by far the best consortium of airlines from around the world and American's alliances are far inferior. So, glad that some of you have good experiences with AA, and maybe with US Air taking control of the merged airline it will get better, but for me, I will just sit by and watch. They will never get a dime from me for many reasons, including bad service, etc., but to each his own. (And by the way, I usually am traveling at least 100,000 miles a year and many years it is over 150,000 miles a year, so I have a lot of experiences by which to judge an airline.

I never fly American unless I absolutely never have any other options. They raped TWA when they bought it from Carl Icahn, who had already raped TWA and sold all of their most profitable routes. Then in spite of numerous promises, they practically destroyed the St Louis hub. Their small planes are old, uncomfortable and they have not treated their employees fairly, especially those that were "integrated" from TWA. This has happened in so many other cities. The only places you get somewhat decent service from American is where they go head to head with UA, Delta, Virgin or other airlines that put them to shame. It does help if you have the top status on AA or UA or Delta or any other airline. I know that from experience too. The Star Alliance is by far the best consortium of airlines from around the world and American's alliances are far inferior. So, glad that some of you have good experiences with AA, and maybe with US Air taking control of the merged airline it will get better, but for me, I will just sit by and watch. They will never get a dime from me for many reasons, including bad service, etc., but to each his own. (And by the way, I usually am traveling at least 100,000 miles a year and many years it is over 150,000 miles a year, so I have a lot of experiences by which to judge an airline.

you can fly or not fly whatever carrier you reckon but in the end, they're all the same. the US model of commercial travel leaves lots of desire for those who want more out of the experience than greyhound style transport

LOL...obviously

Not on this flight

I've been in the same sitch, as I'm usually hungry when I board. The first class flight attendants have always been accommodating and have given me pretzels and/or chips.

Wow DD. what are you smoking? TWA were days/weeks from shutting down when AA bought them. Seriously. Most people that follow the industry know that. AA rescued TW from certain doom.

As far as closing the STL hub goes, crap happens....like 9-11 which occurred several months after the purchase. Anyway, closing hubs is what happens in these mergers. Ask US what happened to the PIT hub, DL what happened to the MEM/CVG hubs and UA what happened to CLE. They're all closed or shadows of their former selves. Wait till PHX sees what happens with the AA/US merger. It's business.

I've been in the same sitch, as I'm usually hungry when I board. The first class flight attendants have always been accommodating and have given me pretzels and/or chips.

Now if AA had a pilot like this one, at least there would have been food. ;)

http://gma.yahoo.com/flight-delayed-two-hours-pilot-39-sandwich-delivery-181446717--abc-news-travel.html

Now if AA had a pilot like this one, at least there would have been food. ;)

http://gma.yahoo.com/flight-delayed-two-hours-pilot-39-sandwich-delivery-181446717--abc-news-travel.html

When the pilot learned there were no sandwiches on the menu -- only peanuts, chips and biscuits, according to the paper -- he said he "needed sandwiches at any cost."

I understand completely. ;) A craving must be satisfied!

Archived