Just Tried SoulCycle (huge CA and NY fitness trend)

FreshFluff

I recently tried Soul Cycle for the first time after a fellow customer at my salon told me she was trying to cut back her classes, but was addicted.

Basically, it's like spinning, in with a dark room, led by a flamboyant (and cute) male instructor dancing around on the bike, spinning his towels, and yelling out new age slogans. It's like of like spin with a yoga interpretation. The class is mostly female, but there were a few athletic looking males too.

I never enjoyed spinning but this was different. My endurance level is currently low so it was hard, but the time few by. The full room and the fact that the instructor is an excellent performer really helped motivate me. I had one of the 3 mentioned in this article. (His class filled up 3 minutes after sign ups opened on Monday. Yes, it really is a cult.)

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/01/evolution-of-soulcycle.html

My only concern is that I want my quads to get leaner, not bulkier. But since I'll only do this twice per week to limit that.

Any else here a fan of spinning or other classes, like Zumba? I'd like to try a barre class soon since I enjoyed dance as a kid.

I've looked at life from both sides now

From win and lose and still somehow

It's life's illusions I recall

I really don't know life at all

I recently tried Soul Cycle for the first time after a fellow customer at my salon told me she was trying to cut back her classes, but was addicted.

Basically, it's like spinning, in with a dark room, led by a flamboyant (and cute) male instructor dancing around on the bike, spinning his towels, and yelling out new age slogans. It's like of like spin with a yoga interpretation. The class is mostly female, but there were a few athletic looking males too.

I never enjoyed spinning but this was different. My endurance level is currently low so it was hard, but the time few by. The full room and the fact that the instructor is an excellent performer really helped motivate me. I had one of the 3 mentioned in this article. (His class filled up 3 minutes after sign ups opened on Monday. Yes, it really is a cult.)

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/01/evolution-of-soulcycle.html

My only concern is that I want my quads to get leaner, not bulkier. But since I'll only do this twice per week to limit that.

Any else here a fan of spinning or other classes, like Zumba? I'd like to try a barre class soon since I enjoyed dance as a kid.

I love my barre classes. They kick my butt regularly. :) That and yoga and I'm a happy camper.

Ewwww, when I read about soul cycle I was amazed how those 2 bitches were able to sold that company for big bucks. At $30-35? per class, that is such a huge rip off. I rather join some other cult like say cross fit.

I would only go to my favorite instructors and probably will mix it in with running and other exercise. It's similar to low-end personal training in that you're paying for motivation. Most of the barre and other classes in NY cost about $30 also.

As for Crossfit, one of my students is an instructor. I heard that it's great exercise and really fits well with many mens' fitness goals.

I love my barre classes. They kick my butt regularly. :) That and yoga and I'm a happy camper.

I used to do ballet as a kid and really enjoyed it, so I think I'd like barre.

Do you find that it slims your thighs, strengthens your glutes, or both?

To me, it does seem rather gimmicky or cultish (which I do put cross-fit in). Yes it has good points. But sometimes the slavish devotion to something like this will wear off.

And at $30-35/hour, that's still more than I'm paying for my 1:1 personal training. :)

How about a real tough workout. Anybody up for some Prancercise?

[video=youtube;o-50GjySwew]

Lee

=======

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand but touches your heart.

The instructor makes or breaks those classes, that's for sure. Back my days of taking (and later teaching) aerobics classes, the most popular teachers were the ones with personality & energy, who made it fun, regardless of how effective the workout was.

Soulcycle is definitely hardcore than many classes. But for someone like me who was never able to make it through a full spin class, it helps me get started.

Ever considered teaching again? Lots of money in it now (though also lots of competition).

LBT, that lady is actually selling a book on Prancercise! She appears to be dancing forward, but I can't really understand the steps. Seems to require a lot of coordination.

I used to do ballet as a kid and really enjoyed it, so I think I'd like barre.

Do you find that it slims your thighs, strengthens your glutes, or both?

Definitely both although it does build your legs up a bit as well. I'm happy with dance and yoga because they keep me lean. I don't want to be bulky and I hate weights with a passion bordering on the unreasonable. ;-)

I took modern dance and ballet all through high school and college as part of my performance training. A lot of barre will feel familiar to you from your classes. You just hold poses longer...until you want to beg for mercy actually. It feels amazing though!

Lohengrin