We've lost Peter O'Toole-----Lawrence of Arab

oceansunshine
This topic is 3785 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw him "MacBeth" with Diana Rigg in London many years ago. It was a notorious, controversial performance. He was so outrageously over-the-top that it was hard to know if he was making fun of himself and the play or if it was truly his conception of the character. He was vilified for it but it was an enormous hit. I didn't like it much but I admired him so much for his courage and bravado in attacking the performance so ferociously. It was almost joyous to watch but at the same time kind of cringe worthy!

We've lost another of the English dragons. Burton, O'Toole, Rex Harrison - they were outlandish and silly and bitchy and so much fun. That kind of acting seems to have disappeared and I miss it. When O'Toole had a worthy costar, he was magnificent. He and Burton are astonishing together in "Becket", although I find it to be an otherwise boring movie, and he and Hepburn are fiery and fesity and sublime together in "The Lion in Winter". As O'Toole often said, he made a great career out of playing Henry II.

I like to think he's in actors' heaven now boozing it up with old chums, puffing a cigarette out of his long black holder, regaling people with his outrageous stories and happy, happy, happy! May God rest his soul.

I've just learned that Joan Fontaine died this weekend as well. She was 96 years old. Both she and her sister Olivia di Havilland were known to be extremely difficult to work with, especially Fontaine, but it hardly shows onscreen. My favorite of her performances is as the mousy wife in "The Women" which I think was just before she got "Rebecca" and became a huge star. RIP.

Archived