Nelson Mandela died…not one post?!

Funguy

Nelson Mandela died a few days ago and there has not been one post on this forum about this incredible leader who preached peace, freedom, and love over strife and hatred. The services to honor him will have more foreign leaders than any other previous funeral service.

Although he spoke so eloquently for human rights and what he tirelessly worked against had mostly to do with apartheid, can't we draw our own direct lines (against discrimination) from him: freedom for gay men and women, the right to pick and choose with whom we associate, the right to marry who we are in love with…….

How come there has not been one single post on this forum?

Can't answer your question directly, funguy, except to posit that maybe since the news of Mandela's passing was so widespread on virtually every news medium, and positive commentary has been nearly universally offered, it might have been superfluous here?

It should be noted that Mandela (like his friend and colleague Archbishop Desmond Tutu) were instrumental in advocating for equality and dignity for all people, including LGBT folk. If I'm not mistaken, South Africa's constitution, ratified in the beginning of Mandela's presidency, was the first national charter to explicitly provide that sexual orientation be a ground upon which persons may not be denied the equal protection of the laws. That led to the South African Supreme Court's landmark 2005 decision declaring that gays have the right to marry there. While South Africa still has a long way to go in many areas, including LGBT rights, such a progressive achievement is truly remarkable, especially in that region of the world.

Edited by Strafe13

I cannot believe you took so long to start this thread, as great a leader as Nelson Mandella is, you should have dropped everything and come straight the the M-F and started a thread.

Dood, why all the strive and hatred? You're just as irresponsible as those you're blaming for not starting a thread the very second a 95 year old man died after a prolonged illness. RIP!

Nelson Mandela died a few days ago and there has not been one post on this forum about this incredible leader who preached peace, freedom, and love over strife and hatred.

How come there has not been one single post on this forum?

I choose to blame funguy.

“The most progressive thing about Joe Biden is his dementia” - Braeden Sorbo

On the day of the late Nelson Mandela's Memorial, I saw your thread and thought I'd respond. When he was released from prison, I was at a convention in San Francisco and managed to watch this momentous event on television. When he immediately began touring key cities in the US and was in Oakland, CA at the Oakland Coliseum-- I was one amongst the throngs in attendance who became uncontrollably moved when he, Mr. Nelson Mandela, approached the stage to begin speaking to those of us assembled. When I was in South Africa {Soweto} in 2002, a small contingent of folks and I sat in the living room of his and his wife [Winnie's] living room and listened to a rather astute young man speak with/to us about this "giant of a man." And lastly, as a former teacher and activist, I marched on behalf of sanctioning South Africa, viewed timely films and read and taught my students about him and the horrendous system under which he and his people lived. President Mandela was my hero in life as well as in death. His deeds and philosophy should be adhered to be all; if that happened, the world and its people would be in a much better position. Life for all would be richer and enhancing!

I thank and applaud you for beginning this thread, for Mr. Mandela touched our lives directly as well as indirectly! This icon and his contributions should live forever. May he rest in eternal peace!

Yeah, instudiocity, we all knew the 95 year old codger with the prolonged illness was going to die (and

i sure hope his family let him die in peace and dignity without their strife), but I think Axiom sure spoke with more eloquence than you (and I). I think we all need to acknowledge what Axiom and Strafe have said about what this man accomplished for all.