"The Sound of Music" Live on TV

WilliamM
This topic is 3765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No Way To Stop It.....

Any of us who have spent a lifetime performing in live theater and films, or even a lifetime as a fan of live theater and films, can find some things to carp about in the live production of The Sound Of Music which aired last night. While all of the supporting cast was excellent and engaging, the common thread in reviews and twitter-verse is that Carrie Underwood isn't a very good actress. Well, I can't argue except to say that as wooden as she may have been, she also brought an every-girl earnestness that while it didn't qualify as good acting, it did make it seem fresh to me somehow.

At first I was kind of put off by Carrie's acting chops (or lack) but as I got into the production as a whole, I guess my imagination plugged in what was missing and I just let myself get caught up in the "show"

One thing not mentioned so far that I can see, is that the show I saw last night was visually stunning such as the clever use of overlapping sets that mysteriously raised a wall and suddenly we were somewhere else.

I was really dazzled by the production values. In my time I have acted in, directed and produced many things and whenever I see a live show or film, I am deconstructing on one level and watching the action on another. I was busy last night.

Overall, I want to be supportive of what was produced last night because I want to see more shows like it. I grew up in the era of live television and there is precious little of that going on today. For a show so big in scope, with so many things that could have gone wrong, I was impressed with how smoothly it went.

From a commercial standpoint, the overnight ratings show that the production was a BIG hit even in the all important 18-49 age group.

Everyone came to view this show from a different place but you have to admit, that for one night (3 hours) our hearts were alive with the Sound Of Music.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched only part of the show. I was very turned off by the casting of the two leads, and the overall sound quality as has been mentioned above. I too blame the producers, directors and those responsible for casting. This was definitely a C- production. I too have been involved in acting, singing and producing musicals in college and all of them, IMHO, were superior to what NBC put on the other night. Also a situation where the hype in advance of the show contributed to high expectations and very disappointing results...

Any of us who have spent a lifetime performing in live theater and films, or even a lifetime as a fan of live theater and films, can find some things to carp about in the live production of The Sound Of Music which aired last night. While all of the supporting cast was excellent and engaging, the common thread in reviews and twitter-verse is that Carrie Underwood isn't a very good actress. Well, I can't argue except to say that as wooden as she may have been, she also brought an every-girl earnestness that while it didn't qualify as good acting, it did make it seem fresh to me somehow.

At first I was kind of put off by Carrie's acting chops (or lack) but as I got into the production as a whole, I guess my imagination plugged in what was missing and I just let myself get caught up in the "show"

One thing not mentioned so far that I can see, is that the show I saw last night was visually stunning such as the clever use of overlapping sets that mysteriously raised a wall and suddenly we were somewhere else.

I was really dazzled by the production values. In my time I have acted in, directed and produced many things and whenever I see a live show or film, I am deconstructing on one level and watching the action on another. I was busy last night.

Overall, I want to be supportive of what was produced last night because I want to see more shows like it. I grew up in the era of live television and there is precious little of that going on today. For a show so big in scope, with so many things that could have gone wrong, I was impressed with how smoothly it went.

From a commercial standpoint, the overnight ratings show that the production was a BIG hit even in the all important 18-49 age group.

Everyone came to view this show from a different place but you have to admit, that for one night (3 hours) our hearts were alive with the Sound Of Music.

[/color][/size][/font]

I agree with you totally that they should continue producing these projects and introducing these classic B'way shows to new generations, and performing them live is a terrific idea. My problem is casting, casting, casting. If they did the shows with appropriate performers, they'd REALLY have something worthwhile.

Archived