Adult Circumcision

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 3775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this article this evening and immediately had two chains of thought:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/million-man-snip-men-africa-flock-get-circumcised-protect-against-2D11663535

1) I didn't realize that straight men without their foreskins were 60% less likely to contract the HIV virus than their uncut counterparts.

2) I'm unsure about how I feel about my tax dollars being used to pay for the procedure on men in Africa. I realize that AIDS levels are high in Africa, and I would not have problems non-profit organizations providing such a service. With our government debt so high, is this really the right place to be spending the money?

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/million-man-snip-men-africa-flock-get-circumcised-protect-against-2D11663535

1) I didn't realize that straight men without their foreskins were 60% less likely to contract the HIV virus than their uncut counterparts.

2) I'm unsure about how I feel about my tax dollars being used to pay for the procedure on men in Africa. I realize that AIDS levels are high in Africa, and I would not have problems non-profit organizations providing such a service. With our government debt so high, is this really the right place to be spending the money?

That's interesting. I would think sending condoms would be far easier and more effective though. Guess giving up the bareback is not up for debate.

Oh and anyone who says this is a gay issue needs to be reminded of this..."most new infections there are through heterosexual intercourse".

A few points of clarification, if you don't mind, Sam.

- This isn't new. I posted about it here http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?94722-The-Slow-Decline-of-Circumcision-in-the-US/page4

- funding: the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) — which are funding part of the programme. The rest is being provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank and other global health organizations

- “it will cost 400 million dollars to prevent (circumcision), but 4 billion dollars to treat (ART drugs)” in Zimbabwe

- the global circumcision campaign is voluntary

- across the 13 countries, over the full 15 year period of the campaign, it is expected to prevent 4 million new infections, and save US 20 billion in medical costs

I would think sending condoms would be far easier and more effective though.

Jaker, are you just planning to ship them some condoms? Using a condom is something that we have to learn. Prevention comes through sexual education.

It has been emphasized that "it is imperative that circumcision is complemented by the use of condoms and change in behaviour to safe sex"

Archived