the Michael Jackson drug is awesome!!......

azdr0710
This topic is 3751 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

had my first colonoscopy this AM with propofol.....nice deep-feeling sleep for the 30 minutes or so, five or ten minutes of wooziness waking up, then ready to go for the day!!....yes, I know his death was controversial and complicated, but was curious about this drug.....used correctly, it's safe, apparently....

doc said all is good and I don't need to return for ten years...the notorious prep stuff yesterday was more boring than difficult as I sat at home hitting the toilet every few minutes....worst part was not being able to eat or have coffee for nearly 24 hours....gotta go clean the toilet now (lots of splashing occurred!!).....

had my first colonoscopy this AM with propofol.....nice deep-feeling sleep for the 30 minutes or so, five or ten minutes of wooziness waking up, then ready to go for the day!!....yes, I know his death was controversial and complicated, but was curious about this drug.....used correctly, it's safe, apparently....

doc said all is good and I don't need to return for ten years...the notorious prep stuff yesterday was more boring than difficult as I sat at home hitting the toilet every few minutes....worst part was not being able to eat or have coffee for nearly 24 hours....gotta go clean the toilet now (lots of splashing occurred!!).....

I wish the sell propanol over the counter. That's how I wanna go!

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Propofol (diisopropylphenol; brand Dipravan) is an intravenous anesthetic. In this regard, it is similar to Pentothal (Sodium thiopental; sodium thiopentone; "Truth serum") but, frankly, a bit trickier to handle in terms of sedation versus apnea (breathing stopped). Its package warning says:

"For general anesthesia or monitored anesthesia care (MAC) sedation, propofol injectable emulsion should be administered only by persons trained in the administration of general anesthesia and not involved in the conduct of the surgical/diagnostic procedure."

In most cases, this is NOT the nurse giving the drug. It requires an anesthesiologist or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). The availability of oxygen, suction, and a means to give positive pressure ventilation in the case of apnea are absolutely requisite. Full anesthesia monitoring is also reqired (intermittent blood pressure; continuous monitoring of the electrocardiogram; continuous monitoring of the blood oxygen content (SpO2); PREFERABLY also the monitoring of exhaled carbon dioxide (ETCO2, where "ET" means End-Tidal, or "ad end of breath).

When I was in practice, my department fought the Emergency Room and the Endoscopists and refused to allow them to administer the drug.

If additional medications are not given, i.e., Midazolam (Brand: Versed) or analgesia e.g. Fentanyl, the risks from propofol is somewhat reduced. These medications are synergistic, reducing the required dose of EACH to 1/2 to 1/3 the dose required in the absence of the other medications.

In the end of all this: Were I to receive Propofol for my colonoscopy, I would require someone from an Anesthesia Department to be present. Midazolam / fentanyl: Have at it!

I'm not done: The advantage of the old valium / demerol or the more modern midazolam / fentanyl is that there are specific reversal agents for each drug. Give too much? Reverse, while maintaining blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen.

I apologize for the two-bit anesthesia lecture, but after 30 years of practice, and a whole lot of stupidity: Make sure you know with whom you are dealing.

We appreciate your support.

Propofol...... It requires an anesthesiologist or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).

Wow, what year is this?......1993?

Unfortunately this “PSA” was obviously paid for by the American Society of Anesthesiologists and is simply not true.

Times have changed my friend and repeating ancient myths does no service to the future.

The modern truth is that Propofol is administered safely and effectively every day all across

America by physicians who are not anesthesiologists. You may not like it, but you

can't deny it's true. It's been studied extensively and widely published.

Propofol is a safe and effective drug that requires close monitoring by well trained professionals. Period.

The rest of your “PSA” is pure political rubbish and the remnants of an old turf war that was lost decades ago.

Twenty years later…..times have changed……Welcome to 2013!

Propofol (diisopropylphenol; brand Dipravan) is an intravenous anesthetic. In this regard, it is similar to Pentothal (Sodium thiopental; sodium thiopentone; "Truth serum") but, frankly, a bit trickier to handle in terms of sedation versus apnea (breathing stopped). Its package warning says:

"For general anesthesia or monitored anesthesia care (MAC) sedation, propofol injectable emulsion should be administered only by persons trained in the administration of general anesthesia and not involved in the conduct of the surgical/diagnostic procedure."

In most cases, this is NOT the nurse giving the drug. It requires an anesthesiologist or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). The availability of oxygen, suction, and a means to give positive pressure ventilation in the case of apnea are absolutely requisite. Full anesthesia monitoring is also reqired (intermittent blood pressure; continuous monitoring of the electrocardiogram; continuous monitoring of the blood oxygen content (SpO2); PREFERABLY also the monitoring of exhaled carbon dioxide (ETCO2, where "ET" means End-Tidal, or "ad end of breath).

When I was in practice, my department fought the Emergency Room and the Endoscopists and refused to allow them to administer the drug.

If additional medications are not given, i.e., Midazolam (Brand: Versed) or analgesia e.g. Fentanyl, the risks from propofol is somewhat reduced. These medications are synergistic, reducing the required dose of EACH to 1/2 to 1/3 the dose required in the absence of the other medications.

In the end of all this: Were I to receive Propofol for my colonoscopy, I would require someone from an Anesthesia Department to be present. Midazolam / fentanyl: Have at it!

I'm not done: The advantage of the old valium / demerol or the more modern midazolam / fentanyl is that there are specific reversal agents for each drug. Give too much? Reverse, while maintaining blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen.

I apologize for the two-bit anesthesia lecture, but after 30 years of practice, and a whole lot of stupidity: Make sure you know with whom you are dealing.

We appreciate your support.

Excellent and wise summary!

I believe Propofol was briefly considered to assist in executions (see below),

but it was unclear to me whether this was to first sedate the prisoner, or over-dose him/her.

Would anyone know?

BC

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131013121727.htm

I believe Propofol was briefly considered to assist in executions (see below),

but it was unclear to me whether this was to first sedate the prisoner, or over-dose him/her.

Would anyone know?

I assume Propofol would be used as a sedative (where sodium thiopental was previously used)

and then the prisoner would be "killed" with IV pancuronium (paralytic making it impossible for

them to breath or move) and IV potassium (disrupts the electrical activity of the heart).

In truth, if given enough Propofol it would work by itself....but these events are guided by emotion

not scientific reason. Therefore we kill them with 3 drugs...just to be sure they die. Arguing over

which drug(s) are used is stupid from the scientific point of view. Unfortunately justice isn't only blind,

she's an emotional wreck and butt dumb too.

If given the option, I would choose pure Propofol. I’m a simple man and I would prefer a simple death.

I wonder if that's what they gave me for my second colonoscopy. The first one, it was a "twilight" anaesthetic. From my viewpoint, they administered it, wheeled me into the room, I laid there for a while, never fell asleep, and then they wheeled me out. I was totally unaware that they'd actually done the procedure, and thought there was some scheduling mixup or something, and they'd bring me back in again.

The second one, I remember going to sleep fast, and remember waking up in the recovery room. It was a great sleep, I agree. My only reservation was that it seemed to cost a LOT more (or at least a lot more that wasn't covered by my insurance) than the first time.

I didn't mind the prep either time. Unpleasant at best, but compared to horror stories I'd heard (my sister described one of the concotions you had to take as "thick strong salt water"), it was a relief. The powder was tasteless, so it was was just like drinking a LOT of gatorade.

yes, I'd heard from friends that the prep drink you had to down was a horrible, foul, stinky concoction.....I guess that was years ago....I just had to drink a bunch of Miralax powder mixed with an allowed clear liquid (I chose white grape juice, which entirely eliminated (so to speak) any bad flavor).....the regular toilet visits were a hassle, but certainly not difficult.....sitting at home for the several hours during the purging was also a bore (man, the things you can find on the internet.....)

I assume Propofol would be used as a sedative (where sodium thiopental was previously used)

and then the prisoner would be "killed" with IV pancuronium (paralytic making it impossible for

them to breath or move) and IV potassium (disrupts the electrical activity of the heart).

In truth, if given enough Propofol it would work by itself....but these events are guided by emotion

not scientific reason. Therefore we kill them with 3 drugs...just to be sure they die. Arguing over

which drug(s) are used is stupid from the scientific point of view. Unfortunately justice isn't only blind,

If given the option, I would choose pure Propofol. I’m a simple man and I would prefer a simple death.

NYCMan,

Your final choice sounds exquisite. Spoken like a true, ironic New Yorker.

BC

THe original three-drug execution might give a new definition to "overkill". From what I've read

[my professional society refusing to comment or be involved]:

Pentothal was given in the multiple GRAMS (usual dose 3-5 mg / kg) = for unconsciousness. Causes apnea and, in this dose, probably causes cardiovascular collapse

Pancuronium 100 mg (usual dose, 07 - 1.0 mg / kg) = paralyzes all the striated muscle of the body, including the diaphragm. Wicked tachycardia, too!

Potassium (probably as chloride) 100 mEq = stops the heart.

Any of these, given by itself, would kill someone if ventilation

and cardiac function were not supported. P

• 1 month later...

THe original three-drug execution might give a new definition to "overkill". From what I've read

[my professional society refusing to comment or be involved]:

Pentothal was given in the multiple GRAMS (usual dose 3-5 mg / kg) = for unconsciousness. Causes apnea and, in this dose, probably causes cardiovascular collapse

Pancuronium 100 mg (usual dose, 07 - 1.0 mg / kg) = paralyzes all the striated muscle of the body, including the diaphragm. Wicked tachycardia, too!

Potassium (probably as chloride) 100 mEq = stops the heart.

Any of these, given by itself, would kill someone if ventilation

and cardiac function were not supported. P

Executed Killer Dennis McGuire Gasped And Snorted For 15 Minutes Under New Lethal Drug Combo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/16/dennis-mcguire-execution_n_4610582.html

I choose not to remember any of my colonoscopies, whether with versed (no, the amnesic side effect did not work and, after 17 years I can still FEEL every centimeter of that tube) or propofol (much easier but…)

Best part was taking the pills for numbers 2 and 3 instead of drinking the liquid drain cleaner!

Best part was taking the pills for numbers 2 and 3 instead of drinking the liquid drain cleaner!

So does this mean I have something to look forward to? Actually I enjoyed the first round of drugs, but the doctor said I was a perfect asshole and he didn't need to see me for 10 years.

...the notorious prep stuff yesterday was more boring than difficult as I sat at home hitting the toilet every few minutes....worst part was not being able to eat or have coffee for nearly 24 hours....gotta go clean the toilet now (lots of splashing occurred!!).....

Glad all is well. The splashiness may have been a bit much, though. ;)

T

azdr0710, are you suggesting you're the Jackson Pollock of the butthole?:cool:

Archived