Healthier Burger King?

friendofsheila
This topic is 3803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/25/burger-king-aims-satisfry-new-healthier-fries

I think these places (BK, KFC, Wendy's) should give up trying to make these things healthier. It's crap (nutritionally), and they should continue selling it as crap. Sometimes I want to eat crap!

Plus, how often are we supposed to eat crap? Only once in a while, so what difference does 4 grams of fat (in the above press release about their new french fries) make if I'm only going to eat it once in a while?

I love Burger King Burgers... but only once in awhile. On my last visit, I had their new "healthier fries" and I liked them better than the former fries they served. So, what is not to like... a bit less fat, great taste, and a new rival for McDonald's fries, which are still probably the taste leader in french fries... and they taste the same the world over. That is quite a feat.

Speaking of Fries, UFood Grill has been offering for several years a lighter and healthier version of Fries called UnFries (yep, they're baked and 100% trans-fat free).

Nutrition Facts

Serving: 1.0 x UnFries

Calories 230

Total Fat 9g

Saturated Fat 1.5g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 600mg

Total Carbohydrates 33g

Dietary Fiber 3g

Sugars 0g

Protein 3g

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fried food. I haven't tasted French Belgian Fries in years. The worst fattening thing that Belgium ever created. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that McDonald's French Fries tasted better back in the '60's and '70's. And cold McDonald's Fries are awful. At the moment I think Wendy's are my favorite.

Gman

At some point, they changed the oil they fry them in. http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Mcfries-to-get-healthier-grease-McDonald-s-2801412.php

For the record I have not eaten a French or even a Belgian fry since 1994. That was after I had given them up for about five years. They did nothing for me... and I have not eaten one since. Give me a dry baked potato any day, or if that's not a choice at a resturant, a salad or a veggie of some sort. I know... I'm no fun... and don't live dangerously. Sorry...

Guest Starbuck
Give me a dry baked potato any day ... I'm no fun... and don't live dangerously

Whipped Guy, we await your new avatar ... less stud, more spud.

Guest verymarried

I work a lot on Air Bases and sometimes my team goes to Burger Kings on base for lunch. I was once in line behind this great big truck driver type guy and he said something to the staff which sounds crude (and which I could never pull off), but this big guy had a way of getting smiles, saying: "I got on my Burger King underwear...Home of the whopper." Maybe that's an old silly joke but I'd never heard anyone say it before!

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/25/burger-king-aims-satisfry-new-healthier-fries

I think these places (BK, KFC, Wendy's) should give up trying to make these things healthier. It's crap (nutritionally), and they should continue selling it as crap. Sometimes I want to eat crap!

Plus, how often are we supposed to eat crap? Only once in a while, so what difference does 4 grams of fat (in the above press release about their new french fries) make if I'm only going to eat it once in a while?

IMHO they are going for that little bit of the "Non Crap Market"..they know their "Loyal Crap Customers" will always be ordering off the CRAP List! There's a lot of "Crap in Life" at least theirs tastes Great! ;)

I live in Southern California and I absolutely love In-N-Out. In fact I plan on eating there this evening so I don't have to cook prior to leaving for a week in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow morning. One of the many things I admire about In-N-Out is that over the years they have stuck to what they do best -- BURGERS. The haven't added salads, chicken nuggets, baked fries, etc., etc. to their menu. When I want to eat healthy, which at 73 is seldom, I'll cook for myself at home. My idea of a great death is having a piece of book rare steak on a fork or a In-N-Out triple cheeseburger about to go in my mouth when that final heart attack strikes. At In-N-Out I always order a 3x3 cheeseburger with fries and a drink and always think I am in heaven. I generally leave rabbit food to rabbits.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that McDonald's French Fries tasted better back in the '60's and '70's. And cold McDonald's Fries are awful. At the moment I think Wendy's are my favorite.

Gman

In the old days, I believe they cooked the fries in lard. No wonder they tasted better. Bring back the lard, I say. If I can't have french fries done in lard, I'd just as soon not bother. Empty calories are empty calories regardless. You might as well have great taste if you're going to have clogged arteries anyway.

And yes, Gman, Wendy's fries ARE better - especially the ones where they offer sea salt.

Epigonos, does your place offer take-out? If so, my scenario would be to be home in bed with some hot guy eating one of those great-sounding burgers right after having amazing sex (which might involve eating something else) and having the heart attack at about that time. Maybe even add in some lard-fried french fries (or belgians if SD insists)

I can't imagine anyone who lives in a major city with good (and sometimes naughty in a good way) food would eat at places like BK, Mcd's, KFC etc. I can't remember the last time I ate at BK and it's been over a year when I was in the middle of BFE Illinois and needed something to eat did I get something from Mcd's. There is a Mcd's on my walk to one of the grocery stores I go to and every time I walk by there the smell makes me want to hurl. If one wants to eat such crap be it "healthy" or not that's on them. As for me I'll take my ma and pa places that serve it up better and often times with better customer service.

Hugs,

Greg

Archived