They'll sell anything on eBay

friendofsheila
This topic is 3788 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My guess is the people paying $5 for the "old" ones are doing so because they want a vintage metal container and can't find/don't want to look for them at a garage sale or twenty.

At a garage sale, it's very unlikely that someone looking for that very tin would come by, hence the price needs to be very low to move the item. In contrast, the market on Ebay consists almost entirely of people who are, at that moment, searching for that very tin or one very similar to it. Those browsing the tin on Ebay know that the only other way to find the item is to scour garage sales and flea markets, and they're willing to pay a premium to have the seller do that for them.

It's the same thing in cosmetics. Cosmetic company outlets, usually in out of the way areas, sell discontinued items, a few of which are in demand at a deep discount. Sellers spend hours sifting through the bins looking for the diamonds and silver. They then sell them on Ebay at a huge markup (sometimes 4x).

I knew years ago they would sell anything on eBay when some pro baseball player was auctioning off some game-used chewing gum. He had a lot of bidders if I remember correctly. That proved it for me.

If you are ever in the mood for a evening of good, ol' fashioned jaw dropping and/or head scratching and need some material to get your jaw and/or fingers started, check out this site:

naughtybids.com

They no longer allow sales of bodily fluids, but there are members who figure out how to sneak around the rules.

Those browsing the tin on Ebay know that the only other way to find the item is to scour garage sales and flea markets, and they're willing to pay a premium to have the seller do that for them.

I suppose I might do the same to get one of the combination whistle, telescope, magnifying glass with the pocket clip that I got in specially-marked boxes of Pink Panther Cereal, ages ago.... :)

I suppose I might do the same to get one of the combination whistle, telescope, magnifying glass with the pocket clip that I got in specially-marked boxes of Pink Panther Cereal, ages ago.... :)

Or you can check ebay. :p

Archived