A Computer's Life After Death

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 3796 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How do I prepare my computer for my death?

There are files, photos, etc. that I would prefer friends and family members not see after my demise. Am I the only one in this situation? If not, has anyone taken steps to ensure that the computer will be wiped clean after death? I would think that my family, friends, executor, etc. would want access to the computer. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

You could leave a letter of instructions to your personal representative (executor) with usernames and passwords for bank, brokerage and similar accounts that will be needed for the administration of your estate, and, once access to those accounts are obtained, with further instructions to have your computer wiped clean; that should work especially if your personal representative has some idea that there are files (including photos) that are to remain private.

You could leave a letter of instructions to your personal representative (executor) with usernames and passwords for bank, brokerage and similar accounts that will be needed for the administration of your estate, and, once access to those accounts are obtained, with further instructions to have your computer wiped clean; that should work especially if your personal representative has some idea that there are files (including photos) that are to remain private.

It also involves personal items (Photos, toys, etc.). My attorney is alternate executor and has agreed to remove such items kept in a secure area and marked private/personal. I hadn't thought about the computer. I'll have to add this to the personal items.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. Hope other Forum members address this potentially embarrassing (uncomfortable) situation.

Boston Bill

Another alternative would be to create a separate file area that holds the items you would not want anyone else to see. Use a program like TrueCrypt to encrypt that area. I have a separate hard drive on my system that holds anything that I would not want others to see. When I want to access that area, I enter a different password than the one I use for my system, which allows me to mount and access the protected area. Use a strong password, and do not add that password to any password managers you may be using. I sleep peacefully knowing that if I die, so does that data.

Archived