Philomena

N13
This topic is 3749 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw a screening of "Philomena" with Judy Dench and James Coogan today. A surprise! Excellent writing, acting and direction (all acadamy award caliber). Dench is, as always, incredible and Coogan keeps up with her all the way, possibly even stealing the film from her - he also co-authered the script. Based on a real situation it tells the story of a young girl who becomes pregnant while living in a 'home' under the care of nuns. I don't want to go into 'spoilers' so I will just say I don't think anyone will be disappointed by spending money and time to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The filmed opened in a limited release yesterday. Playing in only two theaters in NYC but sure to be in more soon. The line went down the block from Fifth to Madison Avenues at the Paris Theater on 58th St.

Well worth the wait and the line! An excellent film. Moving, touching and sometimes amusing. Judi Dench is, once again, amazing! Based on a true story, there are several plot twists and turns that have the audience gasping OMG! several times. Word of mouth as the audience left was very good.

Some may remember the brutally frank film 2002 called The Magdalene Sisters which chronicled the abuse and terror heaped upon three young Irish women who were enslaved in horridly sadistic asylums and forced into what amounted to slave labor toiling in the laundries under the guise of forgiveness and charity by the Catholic Church in Ireland. This woman's story, while the mental abuse is shown, does not depict the harsh reality of the extreme torment and physical anquish many other young women suffered during that period.

The film is brilliant!!!

ED

• 2 weeks later...

This is a brilliant film that is not to be missed. I saw it this past Saturday and was spell bound the entire showing. It made such an impression on me, I rushed to the bookstore that night and bought the last copy of the book in stock. The book has much more background than is possible in the movie, so am enjoying reading it now, even after seeing the film. I agree that Judy Dench is incredible and amazing in this film, but so is James Coogan. Don't walk or wait, run to the theater if you see it advertized. I plan to see it a second time.

This is a brilliant film that is not to be missed...I agree that Judy Dench is incredible and amazing in this film, but so is James Coogan. Don't walk or wait, run to the theater if you see it advertized. I plan to see it a second time.

+1

TruHart1 :cool:

• 1 month later...
Guest Starbuck

Chiming in with another thumbs up for this film.

For me, seeing a movie about a birth mother searching for her "lost" son was especially moving because I went to see it with my own (adoptive) mother. It wasn't always how she felt about the subject, but she got a lot more understanding about adoptees and their birth parents searching for one another after I was able to help my (adopted) sister find her own birth family and our mother met the members of that family and got to know and like them.

I long ago stopped looking for my own birth parents ... it lost some of the importance it once had for me ... but, still, it's something I think about from time to time and this film perfectly captures the emotions, the hopes and fears, that occur.

Starbuck... thanks for sharing your story... it makes seeing the film all the more real. I had a cousin who was adopted by his aunt, but he never, ever forgave his mother and father for essentially abandoning him, even though they were in no position to raise him. For those that saw the film and were touched by it, may I suggest that you get the book, which deals much more with the son and his life than with the mother. I won't spoil it by revealing the details, but it will have a very special meaning to most of us who review and post on this Forum. It has the same title as the film, but focuses on the son who is adopted.

Archived