Caribbean GAY beach or resort for summer?

tony
This topic is 3803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can any traveling members please offer advice on a gay friendly Caribbean beach destination? Puerto Rico (San Juan) is what 3 people have told me, but am wondering if I get more responses/advice, from a bigger group of well informed travelers such as our group here.

Please, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing it.

Also, does the west coast of Florida (I know it's not the Caribbean, have ANY kind of gay night life?

Thanks.

Unfortunately the Caribbean is a gay party waste land. There is no "gay scene"....anywhere.

About the best you can hope for is a passive tolerance of homosexuals. Unfortunately, even

that is hard to find. In fact most places are quite militantly homophobic. Jamaica and the

Bahamas come to mind as particularly anti-gay

IMHO, the best places are Puerto Rico (at least there are some gay clubs) and St. Barts.

Although there is no real gay presence in St. Barts, they don't give a shit if you walk through

town or down the beach holding your boyfriends hand. They won't even look twice.

The rest of the Caribbean?...good luck.

Check out bloom hedonism....

Unfortunately the Caribbean is a gay party waste land. There is no "gay scene"....anywhere.

About the best you can hope for is a passive tolerance of homosexuals. Unfortunately, even

that is hard to find. In fact most places are quite militantly homophobic. Jamaica and the

Bahamas come to mind as particularly anti-gay

IMHO, the best places are Puerto Rico (at least there are some gay clubs) and St. Barts.

Although there is no real gay presence in St. Barts, they don't give a shit if you walk through

town or down the beach holding your boyfriends hand. They won't even look twice.

The rest of the Caribbean?...good luck.

Once a year in Negril Jamaica for 7 days is a gay party at the other wise straight nudist hotel Hedonism in Negril. I have been and it is an amazing time. The Jamaicans are wonderful and friendly and the party is first rate fun and raunchy. Check it out. This year its from Dec 4 to Dec 10th. Bloom Hedonsim Jamaica. Bluboy

Thank you both very much for your insights and advice. I thought the Caribbean was not the best place for the "gay scene" vacation, (especially the Cayman Islands, form stories I've heard) but

it's always good to hear from others who've experienced it first hand.

I never thought much about Jamaica, having been there once a long while ago.

I usually g to Europe but decided this year to stick close to home, if possible.

I may have to reconsider everything.

Any good places in the USA )other than Miami Beach area) with a good gay and beach scene? Warms waters please, no Pacific Ocean or colder climates.

Thanks.

I can echo the warnings from other posters regarding some of the islands. The Bahamas, Jamaica, and the Cayman Islands probably have the most anti-gay sentiment of all the islands. There is somewhat of a gay scene in Santo Domingo (The Dominican Republic) although I don't think its concentrated in one area. I don't recall if there is a gay beach or not.

Miami and Fort Lauderdale aside, your best option in North America for a warm weather gay beach scene is likely Puerta Vallarta in Mexico. There is definitely a gay beach there, lots of gay tourists (from Mexico as well as US/Canada), and a vibrant gay bar/eating scene. It is on the pacific ocean....which you said you didn't want. It's been many years since I have been there so I don't remember how warm/cold the water is. I'm sure other posters have been more recently and can give you more current information.

I know some folks like going to Cuba. The gay scene is somewhat "underground" but fairly easy to access. Of course Americans cannot travel there officially.....although many do. Canadians and Europeans love going there.

Again, thank you ALL for your input and suggestions, I really appreciate them and am considering all sites right now, except Key West, as I go there too often and live not far, same as Miami area. I just want to get away. I have to do some more reserach and also hear other suggestions from fellow travelers.

Again, THANK YOU ALL.

Throwing a wrench into this whole beach/Caribbean idea= can anybody honestly suggest Palm Springs as an up-to-date gay destination? Some people tel, me they love it, others that the crowd is "too old", not sure what that means as I am no spring chicken, but am wondering if it is still vibrant and fun or past its glory days as a good vacation destnation? Perhaps a resort or an area to stay in, I know...no beaches, but it's warm. Just a thought.

Tony,

I am a little puzzled by Beach in summer, as I think of the Caribbean as a place for a beach in winter. However, PR is good in summer with the average high temperature in San Juan about 89-93.

This might be helpful for an overview: http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/gayandlesbiantravel/tp/GayCaribbean.htm

A year ago I posted a commentary on PR that might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EZEtoGRU View Post December 2012

I

Puerto Rico (especially San Juan) has seen better days and seems to really be in a rut with everything appearing rundown there.

Ragazzolupo:

Mi Isla!! That hurt. I have been going to Puerto Rico for more than 20 years. Ever since a Puerto Rican friend suggested we make a trip there from NYC about 1989. I was introduced to his friends and family and since then have made a network of friends in San Juan and around the island. I have stayed in hotels, rented apartments (and I even owned one for about eight years) in Old San Juan, Condado, Ocean Park, Rincon, Ponce, Cabo Rojo, Culebra, Vieques, Humacao (Palmas del Mar-rented a house), the mangrove swamps of Guanica, La Parguera, Boqueron, Isabela. I have camped out on the floor of a farmhouse in Manati, and spent a week on the uninhabited island on Mona.

Sure there have been some problems, but none that keeps me from coming back. A few years ago the Condado went through a very bad period of closed hotels, but it is really coming back. I am writing this from my beautiful little rented apartment in Old San Juan with a view of the harbor and mountains, and I look down of the cruise ships below. For those who like history, you can spend a full week among the churches, museums and fortifications of Old San Juan (world heritage site). For those who like beaches there are something like 300 miles of beaches to choose from, Atlantic and Caribbean. You can step out of the Marriott Condado and be 1 ½ blocks from three gay beach bars or go downscale and stay at one of them (Atlantic Beach Hotel). If you want something more isolated, try Flamenco Beach on the Island of Culebra, which the Discover Chanel named “the Second Most Beautiful Beach in the World.”

Puerto Rico has US currency, banking, postage, telephone systems, superhighways, courts (the U.S. Federal Court of Appeals is the first circuit riding out of Boston --- those lucky bastards.

The Muñoz Marin International Airport is the largest in the Caribbean. The flight from NYC or DC is a little over 3 hours and 15 minutes. Car rental is easy, reasonable and all the insurance is with reliable companies. The driving in PR, well…. It takes some getting used to. The languages are officially Spanish and English. More than half the locals speak some English. This varies from natives who are Harvard graduates or even Harvard professors, to street kids who can make a buck because they can address you in English with their wares. The island (roughly the size and shape of Connecticut) is rife with little towns all with their own saint’s day and the related festival, as well as all manner of other festivals. Go out on the island, get up into the mountains.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in San Juan is 68, but up in Aibonito they once saw 39 on the mercury. I have become a fan and a fair expert on the street foods of Puerto Rico. Yesterday I was in Guavate (the holy shrine of pork) for some of the fabulous lechon; as well as pasteles, rice and beans, morcilla, alcapurias, bacalitos, empanadillas. Also carrucho in escabeche. Oh and the tostones, you want them really fresh, made just for you in a kettle of hot lard on the beach and then a bit of salt and maybe some salsa piccante.

Oh, and did I mention the medicine. It’s pretty impressive. I don’t think I would like to get seriously sick on one of those other islands. N And the temperature in my apartment at 6:30 AST is 79.

Ragazzolupo:

Thank you for that incredibly detailed prose about why you love Puerto Rico so, it clearly comes through from the heart! I loved all that you wrote, and I think once I speak it over with my travel companion we will make our decision. I do think of the beach in summer, as in the winter the water is too cold for me. I love warm/hot waters!

I was even thinking about the Marriott Condado and you mentioned it, so that seals that if my travel partner agrees. I assume it is close not only to the gay bars but also clubs in the area, or is that a cab ride away? Would you suggest driving or taking a taxi, we would be there about 5 nights, maybe 6. Wet want to mainly relax and also take in some gay nightlife.

Thank YOU!

I too love Puerto Rico, but have only been there a couple days at a time. I have visited most of the tourist destinations and hung out with the locals at small music filled restaurants. Friday Night i am passing through before a cruise on Saturday and i thought I would try out the night life. I hear it begins late at midnight?? Can anyone direct me to the bars and clubs that are the "Best". Krash, Splash, SX?

search?q=el+yunque+puerto+rico&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KeuDUpT4AYWhsASi6YDQCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=954#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=YwLb9w4vVSzi9M%3A%3BN8t6Ll3jXf

Ragazzolupo:

Thank you for that incredibly detailed prose about why you love Puerto Rico so, it clearly comes through from the heart! I loved all that you wrote, and I think once I speak it over with my travel companion we will make our decision. I do think of the beach in summer, as in the winter the water is too cold for me. I love warm/hot waters!

I was even thinking about the Marriott Condado and you mentioned it, so that seals that if my travel partner agrees. I assume it is close not only to the gay bars but also clubs in the area, or is that a cab ride away? Would you suggest driving or taking a taxi, we would be there about 5 nights, maybe 6. Wet want to mainly relax and also take in some gay nightlife.

Thank YOU!

Tony,

I am glad that you caught my enthusiasm for PR. I have already booked a month in SJ in two two week sessions December and January/February. I think that for parking reasons, I would suggest that you use bus and cabs within San Juan (or even the Tren Urbano). I would rent a car only if I were going "out on the island". there are so many great big and little adventures outside of the San Juan Metro area (and most tourists never get to any of them — well maybe the rainforest (El Yunque). The winter water temperature on the Atlantic (northern) side of the Island will be about 75 and on the Caribbean side a bit warmer perhaps 85. So probably the water will be warmer than anywhere you might go in the summer in North America (Maine anyone??)

https://www.google.com/search?q=el+yunque+puerto+rico&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KeuDUpT4AYWhsASi6YDQCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=954

I've read that there is a resort on one of the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas?) I think it's listed as such in Frommers.

Morning Star -- also known as Frenchman's Bay Beach -- is near the Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, about 2 miles east of Charlotte Amalie. Here, among the hip, savvy, often young crowds (many of whom are gay singles and couples), you can don your skimpiest bikini. Sailboats, snorkeling equipment, and lounge chairs are available for rent. The beach is easily reached by a cliff-front elevator at Frenchman's Reef.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/st-thomas-usvi/726093#ixzz2kae5zJlI

when I was a kid, we took a family trip to St Thomas and stayed at the Frenchmans Reef.....we explored down the beach just a short ways from the colossal, corporate Frenchmans Reef toward the Morningstar - and suddenly all we saw were dudes in Speedos....being a kid, I didn't know what this meant, but my parents exchanged knowing glances and we quickly returned to the safety of the mainstream convention hotel

• 2 weeks later...

In Negril check out Rockhouse. One of the most beautiful hotels in the world....

I would love to visit Negril - probably alone and not looking to do anything but be alone for a few days. Any hotel suggestions?

I've read that there is a resort on one of the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas?) I think it's listed as such in Frommers.

Rockhouse..beautiful and gay friendly. I have been there with a couple different boyfriends and I love it. And going alone is easy as the property is small enough to meet people but large enough for u to get lost as well. If u end up going to Negril..I can give u some good tips. Bluboy

Archived