A Gentleman's Guide To Love And Murder

edjames
This topic is 3689 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A delightfully funny and entertaining new musical is about to open on Broadway starring Jefferson Mays and Bryce Pinkham.

Based on the 1907 novel Israel Rank: The Autobiography of a Criminal by Roy Horniman, many will remember the 1949 British classic film with Alec Guinness called Kind Hearts and Coronets. (I have been told that the producers of this musical were unable to get the rights to the film and thus the musical is based on the original novel).

Last year, the wonderful revival of The Mystery of Edwin Drood provided British Music Hall fun and this new musical relies on that tradition.

The story of a young man who learns of his aristocratic legacy after his Mother's death, he seeks revenge on his distant family of blue bloods for their callous treatment of his Mother. He becomes obsessed with his quest to eliminate all family members standing in his way to inherit the earldom.

The music is delightful and full of funny lyrics and double entredre. One funny and amusing song sure to ring a bell with a gay audience is the number "Better With A Man," it ends with the phrase "bottoms up!".

The cast is just wonderful and Jefferson Mays proves once again why he is one of Broadway's treasures. He plays 8 different and very eccentric characters, both men and women. He is delightfully entertaining. Bryce Pinkham is the handsome young man in line for the earldom. His two loves, Lisa O'Hare and Lauren Worsham are also quite good and have wonderful voices.

Great fun and very entertaining! I highly recommend seeing it.

ED

A delightfully funny and entertaining new musical is about to open on Broadway starring Jefferson Mays and Bryce Pinkham.

Based on the 1907 novel Israel Rank: The Autobiography of a Criminal by Roy Horniman, many will remember the 1949 British classic film with Alec Guinness called Kind Hearts and Coronets. (I have been told that the producers of this musical were unable to get the rights to the film and thus the musical is based on the original novel).

Interesting about the rights. The genesis of this musical was with a reading done in 2006 by the Huntington Theatre Company in Boston, at which time it was indeed called Kind Hearts And Coronets. I wonder if they had the rights back then, and something happened in the meantime, or they were eventually told they couldn't even use the film title, or if they came up with the new title on their own. (It used to be that musical adaptations generally did have their own titles, different from their sources - that has changed drastically recently, where we're more apt to get the formula of Famous Source Title: The Musical as an all-too-predictable template for almost every new show.)

I didn't see that reading, but I have heard good reports about the show so far; let's hope it does well!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this last night, and it is WONDERFUL!!! Unlike the tottering turkeys that one usually sees on Broadway, such as "Kinky Boots," this delightful spoof has literate lyrics that one can hear clearly. Jefferson Mays and Brice Pinkham are perfect in their roles -- well, quite a few roles for Jefferson Mays. Everything about this show, the sets, the effects, the period atmosphere is just right. I enjoyed myself immensely, and recommended it to friends on my return home last night. All the replies so far say that people they know liked it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this last night, and it is WONDERFUL!!! Unlike the tottering turkeys that one usually sees on Broadway, such as "Kinky Boots," this delightful spoof has literate lyrics that one can hear clearly. Jefferson Mays and Brice Pinkham are perfect in their roles -- well, quite a few roles for Jefferson Mays. Everything about this show, the sets, the effects, the period atmosphere is just right. I enjoyed myself immensely, and recommended it to friends on my return home last night. All the replies so far say that people they know liked it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I remembered reading a thread on the Forum about this musical. I was reminded about it today because a Facebook friend posted pictures of the cast party on her wall. She plays one of the minor characters in it. We really aren't "friends" and she may not remember me. But we grew up in the same city She and my older sister know each other. And when she--the actress not my sister- was in college, and I was in junior high, the local university performed Camelot. She was a dancer in the production, and I was a page. So we did know each other for several months when I was 15. So I'm glad that someone I 'know' is in a good show.

Gman

It's a lot of fun, and I am very pleased that the reviews were so positive. Was shocked Isherwood liked it so much, thought it might be too low-brow for him...with it's homages to Gilbert and Sullivan and the British Music Hall. Jefferson Mayes has set himself up as the one to beat for this year's Tony... The two leading ladies, both making their Broadway debuts, are terrific, and add spice and harmony to the second act. And Bryce Pinkham does a great job making the killer sympathetic and likable.

I also highly recommend. It was on tdf for discounted tickets in previews, and even with the reviews was on the half-price board yesterday. Theater is small, and not generous with leg-room. Tall gents might seek out an aisle seat.

• 3 months later...

Archived