Digital SLR Camara

Atlantagaguy
This topic is 3827 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Atlantagaguy-Not sure what type of experience you have with SLR cameras, but I purchased a Nikon D3100 about 3 years ago which is perfect for entry-level. It was my first SLR purchase and I still have it and take it with me on all of my international travels. Overall, it's a great camera! Good luck AGG!

Atlantagaguy-Not sure what type of experience you have with SLR cameras, but I purchased a Nikon D3100 about 3 years ago which is perfect for entry-level. It was my first SLR purchase and I still have it and take it with me on all of my international travels. Overall, it's a great camera! Good luck AGG!

Thank you for responding! So when are you coming to Atlanta? lol

I am looking to buy a new Digital SLR Camera. The one that interest me is the Nikon D5200, any recommendations?

I prefer Canon myself and have always had good luck with them. Depending on the price point of what you're looking for, you might want to check Sam's/Costco/BJ's or something similar, where you can try the camera and if you don't like it, the return policy is MUCH MUCH easier than having to pay some open box fee.

Was just out taking some pics this afternoon since the late day sunlight is pretty. Now that the monuments and museums are open again, I need to trot my lazy ass to DC and take some there.

I prefer Canon myself and have always had good luck with them. Depending on the price point of what you're looking for, you might want to check Sam's/Costco/BJ's or something similar, where you can try the camera and if you don't like it, the return policy is MUCH MUCH easier than having to pay some open box fee.

I bought a Canon at COSTCO a few years ago and I am very happy with it. In addition to the camera, it came with an additional lens and a bag.

I am looking to buy a new Digital SLR Camera. The one that interest me is the Nikon D5200, any recommendations?

What do you want to do with it?

Canon and Nikon both make excellent equipment in the prosumer range and there are as many religious wars over Canon vs. Nikon as there are over Apple vs. Microsoft. (More, probably.)

Canon users (I'm one of them) are deservedly loyal, as are Nikon users. Canon was the first out the door with a consumer-affordable DSLR, but Nikon has caught up now. I won't be changing but it's more to do with an investment in lenses than any feeling of superiority over the camera itself.

You need to make a list of the types of photography YOU expect to do and find the best match. What kind of photography is that?

...there are as many religious wars over Canon vs. Nikon as there are over Apple vs. Microsoft. (More, probably.)...

I can second that emotion. When I bought mine, I heard so many strong opinions from both camps that I finally stopped asking people. Deej is right, make a list of what you plan to do with the camera and go from there.

I was ambivalent about the brand when I bought mine. It was a toss-up as to whether I would buy the Nikon or the similar Canon. In the end, it came down to which one COSTCO had in stock. I was leaving for Hawaii in two days and the Canon was in stock. Had I been thinking I would have waited until I arrived in Hawaii and bought there to avoid sales tax.

I'm a Nikon guy through and through, and have been for about 40 years. For lotsa reasons ... and, admittedly, some of it has always been "lens loyalty" from WAY back when I got my first film camera ... when Cannon just didn't cut it yet. I find Nikon's lenses to be dependably superb ... and as I'm often pushing their limits (as I like to do with men, sometimes) the quality of "the glass" as pro's call it is important.

The latest round of Nikon's best DSLR's (like the D800) have a sensor that is completely beyond belief fantastic in terms of both resolution and low-light sensitivity. Which is of no importance if most of what you do is well-lit, or depends on flash, but can be extremely useful if any of what you do is low-light/natural light stuff, nature photography, sports or wildlife photography, etc.

All that said, I have photo-pro friends who swear by Canon. I would definitely check out some of the camera review sites/blogs, find one whose style of discourse makes sense to you, and figure out which brand seems to be your type.

Good luck .. and HAVE FUN!!

Archived