Nasal speech pattern~~

Samai139
This topic is 3806 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is it just me or are there others out there who find people who speak through their noses off-putting? I used to think it was just Americans who lived in certain parts of the country---from Central New York State westward to Chicago/Michigan--but there is a BBC America World News presenter, Laura Trevelyan, who is so annoying that when she is on, I turn the programme off, and she's British. The Kardashian sisters are good examples of young women who don't speak well, but with all their other faults, this is a minor one and they aren't news presenters.

There used to be standards of speech that broadcasters were held to, both in the USA and UK. It seems to have disappeared. Any ideas about why the change?

Was also a time when female anchors were given strict guidelines as to what they could and could not wear on-air, particularly in regards to distracting earrings, pins, necklaces and nail enamel. As a former make-up artist, the make-up and hair guidelines for female anchors were also quite rigid: Neutral tones on the eyes, brows neither too thick nor too thin, and only warm neutral lip colors. Hair had to be 'contained,' that is, even if worn long (shoulder length was preferred), had to be styled -- neat and without distracting flyaways. Today, that's all changed.

Is it just me or are there others out there who find people who speak through their noses off-putting? I used to think it was just Americans who lived in certain parts of the country---from Central New York State westward to Chicago/Michigan--but there is a BBC America World News presenter, Laura Trevelyan, who is so annoying that when she is on, I turn the programme off, and she's British. The Kardashian sisters are good examples of young women who don't speak well, but with all their other faults, this is a minor one and they aren't news presenters.

There used to be standards of speech that broadcasters were held to, both in the USA and UK. It seems to have disappeared. Any ideas about why the change?

Archived