J Crew - not what it used to be

friendofsheila

I saw a J Crew catalog for the first time in ages, and saw that they used only one guy in all of its pictures for men's clothes.

Only one! It used to be there'd be several guys, being all woodsy and cuddly.

Now our outdoor fantasies of gathering firewood and rubbing up against some dude's 100% cotton flannel shirt in Heather, Oatmeal or Burgundy are limited to that one guy. No choices!

And I'm not just thinking about me. What about all those closeted frat boys who have to steal time in the loo with a copy of this catalog, away from all their hot bro's, huh??

Will someone PLEASE think of the frat boys in all this!! :)

Oh, honey, frat boys graduated from JCrew to A&F years ago.

You do bring up an interesting irony, though. In "our" day (hey, we're all "of a certain age" around here) we could sneak around with our copies of Playgirl, Advocate Men, and various other skin magazines. Now that the kids can be open about their sexuality those magazines are long gone! It's back to the catalogs!

I saw a J Crew catalog for the first time in ages, and saw that they used only one guy in all of its pictures for men's clothes.

Only one! It used to be there'd be several guys, being all woodsy and cuddly.

Now our outdoor fantasies of gathering firewood and rubbing up against some dude's 100% cotton flannel shirt in Heather, Oatmeal or Burgundy are limited to that one guy. No choices!

And I'm not just thinking about me. What about all those closeted frat boys who have to steal time in the loo with a copy of this catalog, away from all their hot bro's, huh??

Will someone PLEASE think of the frat boys in all this!! :)

I've noticed that a lot of catalogs (especially denim) are starting to display clothes on mannequins without the heads. Makes the shooting process easier and saves a lot of money.

I've looked at life from both sides now

From win and lose and still somehow

It's life's illusions I recall

I really don't know life at all

I've noticed that a lot of catalogs (especially denim) are starting to display clothes on mannequins without the heads. Makes the shooting process easier and saves a lot of money.

Actually it makes the shooting a lot more difficult.

I have never seen a purplekow :)

I hope I never see one ;)

But I can tell you this and how I would rather see than be one :D

Help there is a purplekow in my mirror :eek:

Oh, honey, frat boys graduated from JCrew to A&F years ago.

You do bring up an interesting irony, though. In "our" day (hey, we're all "of a certain age" around here) we could sneak around with our copies of Playgirl, Advocate Men, and various other skin magazines. Now that the kids can be open about their sexuality those magazines are long gone! It's back to the catalogs!

I never did sneak around with magazines. I didn't even peruse catalogs that much. The Sears underwear section was just not that titillating except for the fact that all of the guys seemed to have very full crotches- but they were all rather shapeless. :-(

Gman

Gman

In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, The Great Gazoo is always right!!!!

I remember in high school, traveling into NYC and walking along the then-plentiful XXX magazine shops, too young to enter, but old enough to take furtive glances at the "muscle magazines" that hung on news kiosks. Now those were great - massively built men - some looking like my gym teachers ;-) and wearing those tiny posing straps.

I used to go to the basement of an uncle's home where he seemed to have 30 years worth of Playboy magazines, looking not at the centerfolds, but at the occasional photo of a shirtless man...

Then there was the day the ice broke - walking aimlessly on 42nd street after school, there was a film, "Mondo Cane" -- looked different. I managed to get in without as much as a glance from the ticket-seller although it was for over 16 (I was just 17 anyway). I sat back in a seat and began watching - lots of semi-naked men and women - then felt a hand on my thigh, then the hand firmly moving up my thigh. I was frozen to my seat staring at the screen, not daring to look at the gentleman sitting next to me, breathing heavily. I had no idea why, but I was soon sporting a thick "boner" as we called them, and he reached for my hand and placed it on his crotch - I felt like my hand was scorched.

When he finally fried to unzip my pants I jumped and ran from the theatre, trying to cover an obvious protrusion from my slacks with my book bag. A week later, without the book bag, I finally had the courage to walk in to one of those old magazine stores and made my way to the back where they ahd the "men's magazines" -- and, as they say, the rest is HIStory.

The biggest problem I have with the JCrew catalog is that the clothes don't fit the models. They look too small for them.

I parse English poorly. Are the clothes too small for the models, or are the models too small for the clothes? I frequently lose antecedents.

Do not try to the patience of Dragons, for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.