Seattle and seattle area information

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 3766 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi guys! I recently moved to Olympia, WA, and currently staying with my brother until I can figure out where I would like to live in this area. I would like to live closer to SEATAC (Seattle/Tacoma Airport) or in the city of Seattle. I'm hoping to be in my own place sometime early next year and would like some feedback on a few things.

I would like to know what neighborhoods I should start searching for my new place to live. I am willing to live in a suburb of Seattle as I do not feel the need to be right in the middle of everything. What I am looking for is a neighborhood with reasonably priced (for this area) apartments or homes for rent, that is safe, gay/gay friendly, and close to whatever I might need such as gym, grocery, open space such as trails and places where I can have my dogs off leash, easy route to airport etc.. I would also like to know if anyone can recommend an off-site airport parking facility that doesn't break the bank and is convenient, safe, and possibly have a frequent parking program. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I couldn't be happier to be out of FL. Moving this far away was not an easy task with three pets and a car that my brother and I drove from FL, but beyond that I am excited to be in a new place. I love the weather and I have enjoyed walking through the woods with my dogs. Living with my brother's family has required a lot of compromise on my part, but as a temporary inconvenience I can live with the rewards of being in the beautiful northwest.

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys! I recently moved to Olympia, WA, and currently staying with my brother until I can figure out where I would like to live in this area. I would like to live closer to SEATAC (Seattle/Tacoma Airport) or in the city of Seattle. I'm hoping to be in my own place sometime early next year and would like some feedback on a few things.

I would like to know what neighborhoods I should start searching for my new place to live. I am willing to live in a suburb of Seattle as I do not feel the need to be right in the middle of everything. What I am looking for is a neighborhood with reasonably priced (for this area) apartments or homes for rent, that is safe, gay/gay friendly, and close to whatever I might need such as gym, grocery, open space such as trails and places where I can have my dogs off leash, easy route to airport etc.. I would also like to know if anyone can recommend an off-site airport parking facility that doesn't break the bank and is convenient, safe, and possibly have a frequent parking program. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I couldn't be happier to be out of FL. Moving this far away was not an easy task with three pets and a car that my brother and I drove from FL, but beyond that I am excited to be in a new place. I love the weather and I have enjoyed walking through the woods with my dogs. Living with my brother's family has required a lot of compromise on my part, but as a temporary inconvenience I can live with the rewards of being in the beautiful northwest.

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Michael, Unfortunately I do not have specifics, other than to say that my aunt and cousins live in Tacoma. When I have visited, which is twice a year I found that the inlet was amazing, although everything else is a bit low key.

So glad that you made the drive safe and sound. I just went the other way, so I know what a haul it can be. Take your time exploring different locals, and from this Floridian to you, I wish you the best in your new home.

having visited that city on numerous occasions it would seem to me (for business reasons and for lifestyle reasons) you would want to be near downtown Seattle or perhaps in a place very near the airport. That is where 90% of the clients will be. I love the place but too cold there for me in the winter.

I am willing to live in a suburb of Seattle as I do not feel the need to be right in the middle of everything.

You say that now, but just wait. :)

I've been there a couple of times and it's absolutely glorious. One of my best friends lives near Capitol Hill off Madison (which is conveniently near Steamworks!) The neighborhood has pretty much everything you're looking for and is stunning with views of everything. It's pedestrian friendly and there's shops, stores and it's convenient to downtown too. Whatever you do, plan around traffic and avoiding it like the plague. It's horrible there, but you probably already know that. Anything north of town sucks for traffic... when we drove to Vancouver it was bumper-to-bumper the entire way.

Queen Anne is a great area as well, but can be pricey like CH. All the neighborhoods around UW were very pretty, in my opinion. There's another great neighborhood around what's called "Fakebucks," or the Roy Street Coffee/Tea Shop, which is a prototype high-end Starbucks. The area is beautiful as well... one of my clients out there walked me around the entire area and gave me a great tour. I can shoot him an email if you like, he's got the low-down on everything pretty much.

Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy it there.

...Queen Anne is a great area as well, but can be pricey like CH. All the neighborhoods around UW were very pretty, in my opinion. There's another great neighborhood around what's called "Fakebucks," or the Roy Street Coffee/Tea Shop, which is a prototype high-end Starbucks. The area is beautiful as well... one of my clients out there walked me around the entire area and gave me a great tour. I can shoot him an email if you like, he's got the low-down on everything pretty much.

Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy it there.

Don't forget Ballard but you'll need a car if you live there.

[video=youtube;taMDsIoeZKo]

• 2 months later...

Hey Michael....

I highly, highly recommend you join (free, anonymous) a very popular forum called city-data.com....very busy discussion boards and all things to do with city issues, relocation, recommendations, chit, chat....very fun to read and lots of blunt, honest participation.....

register at upper right:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

or you can look in without registering, but there will be ads and you can't post questions

I couldn't be happier to be out of FL. I love the weather and I have enjoyed walking through the woods with my dogs.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but we can't say the same to my friends in Minneapolis who wouldn't mind a little Florida weather when it's getting down to negative 60 degrees below 0 this weekend. Temperatures that cold, you don't get sun burnt...you get freezer burnt to a crisp lol. I thought I was going to lose my hands in -10 degree weather, I can't even imagine what -40 feels like. Probably like sticking your hands in a mitten full of glass chips lol.

But then again, Florida's barely changing weather can get a little mundane after a while.

Archived