Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty

foxy
This topic is 3828 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This looks awesome!

I was floored and enchanted by his "Swan Lake."

Let me know if it would be worthwhile to buy the DVD ... which is available now on Amazon!

And has anyone seen his "Nutrcracker"? That got mixed reviews.

All I could find about this one were total raves!

So jealous that I can't get to NYC to see it!

Hope you enjoy it!!

I saw this tonight and loved it. Great staging, inventive sets and costumes and I thought the dancing, especially in the second was really inspired. There are two ballerinas dancing Princess Aurora. I'm not sure who I saw, Ashley Shaw or Hannah Vassallo but whoever it was, I thought she was spectacular. A very sexy, witty and clever interpretation. All those vampires...Tchaikovsky would have been pleased I think.

This looks awesome!

"Let me know if it would be worthwhile to buy the DVD ... which is available now on Amazon!"

Bought the Blu Ray but it turned out that only the package was Blu Ray. The disc was DVD.......This happened twice! Found it boring. Loved Swan Lake but this did not do it for me. Some clever choreography but all in all a yawn.

Dance, like so many other things, is best experienced live.

I'm not certain that this is always true ... a lot depends on the quality and variety of cinematography involved.

When I was in college, decades ago, I ushered for the ballet, and therefore got to see each performance up to 5 times. I would sit, each time, wherever empty seats afforded me a different view: front row, mid orchestra, mez, balcony, etc ... and each perspective offered its own delights. From up close, one could see facial expressions and nuances of movement and interaction, from afar and up in the stratosphere, one could see form and pattern on a grand scale -- especially for classical ballet.

But lately, with ticket prices for ballet and opera so astronomically high, seeing performances two or three times is not feasible for me. Concomitantly, the advent of high-definition video shoots of ballet and opera, with multiple cameras, angles, and focal lengths, makes that multiplicity of views possible again.

Agreed ... never the same thrill as being there, but for Bourne's "Swan Lake" the DVD version totally blew me away.

We'll see what the "sleeping beauty" dvd does for me; I ordered it before N13 posted his comment ... we'll see.

I have been fortunate to see Baryshnikov dance a number of times. To see him do a tour jete, and hang seemingly suspended in air for what seems like several seconds is truly breathtaking. Despite some rude audiences these days it adds to the excitement of a performance that film just doesn't convey.

Archived