National Prescription Take Back Day - Saturday, October 26

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 3806 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For those of us with extra prescriptions that we have left over and want to get rid of, and either don't want to or really shouldn't dispose of in the trash can or in the toilet, the DEA Office of Diversion Control is sponsoring the 7th National Prescription Drug Take Back Day next Saturday, October 26, from 10 AM to 2 PM at a lot of locations around the country. I have a lot of Coumadin left over from surgery and it isn't safe to dispose of by flushing it in the toilet nor do I just want to throw it away. So I can take it back to one of the sites in my area and get it out of my house. I'm sure there are other things (I think I also have a few other scripts in the same boat) that should also be disposed of this way. They will dispose of them properly. Here's a link to the program where you can look up locations near you where you can take back any prescriptions you want to get rid of.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/NTBI/NTBI-PUB.pub?_flowExecutionKey=_c4183AB69-FC31-CB34-BDC0-16B52849DB22_kDF834F0B-0758-039D-3A1A-B8AFA941F41E

Thanks for posting this, Lee. After my dad passed away and I was cleaning out his medicine cabinet I was at a loss for how to safely dispose of his prescription meds. I ended up using a mail-in service from Walgreens, but there was a nominal charge. A free service is even better!

For those of us with extra prescriptions that we have left over and want to get rid of, and either don't want to or really shouldn't dispose of in the trash can or in the toilet, the DEA Office of Diversion Control is sponsoring the 7th National Prescription Drug Take Back Day next Saturday, October 26, from 10 AM to 2 PM at a lot of locations around the country. I have a lot of Coumadin left over from surgery and it isn't safe to dispose of by flushing it in the toilet nor do I just want to throw it away. So I can take it back to one of the sites in my area and get it out of my house. I'm sure there are other things (I think I also have a few other scripts in the same boat) that should also be disposed of this way. They will dispose of them properly. Here's a link to the program where you can look up locations near you where you can take back any prescriptions you want to get rid of.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/NTBI/NTBI-PUB.pub?_flowExecutionKey=_c4183AB69-FC31-CB34-BDC0-16B52849DB22_kDF834F0B-0758-039D-3A1A-B8AFA941F41E

Great thread LBT. Never knew about this service. I have been fortunate that CVS offers this service. Actually, some hospitals do also. It is very important to weed out the medicine cabinet regularly for your health and safety particularly when many medicines are frequently replaced by newer and more efficient drugs.

Thanks again

Boston Bill

This is great information. I am fortunate to rarely take prescription meds. When doing some house cleaning yesterday, I discovered a couple of old, unfinished prescriptions at the back of the medicine cabinet and had not decided how to dispose of them.

Does anyone know, would this be an appropriate way to dispose of expired over the counter drugs as well?

This is great information. I am fortunate to rarely take prescription meds. When doing some house cleaning yesterday, I discovered a couple of old, unfinished prescriptions at the back of the medicine cabinet and had not decided how to dispose of them.

Does anyone know, would this be an appropriate way to dispose of expired over the counter drugs as well?

You might want to contact the drug take back information number, 1-800-882-9539. It looks to be a location finder, but they might be able to answer that question. Alternatively, you could take them in and find out. The take back site near you might be able to provide you with tips if they don't take them.

Archived