Old Movies You Love--share them!

FreshFluff
This topic is 3829 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Speaking of Israel and ships, I just watched part of Exodus again. (Unfortunately, you can't do an Instant Rent on Amazon.) The last time I watched it, I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. The theme is something else, and the discussion of antisemitism was pretty advanced for its time.

I don't usually go for conventional good looks like, say, Brat Pitt. But Paul Newman was sure hot! As you watch, you can't help but want to be in Palestine hooking up with Ari Ben Canaan. (As a brunette, I probably wouldn't qualify. Both of the brunet Jewish guys in the movie have blonde love interests.)

http://i.imgur.com/EL1YQ17.png

BTW, it's funny how formal the language was in those days. Ari calls Kitty Mrs. Fremont until he kisses her and introduces her to his family under that name. As I mentioned, I have students who try to call me by my first name!

Speaking of Israel and ships, I just watched part of Exodus again. (Unfortunately, you can't do an Instant Rent on Amazon.) The last time I watched it, I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. The theme is something else, and the discussion of antisemitism was pretty advanced for its time.

I don't usually go for conventional good looks like, say, Brat Pitt. But Paul Newman was sure hot! As you watch, you can't help but want to be in Palestine hooking up with Ari Ben Canaan. (As a brunette, I probably wouldn't qualify. Both of the brunet Jewish guys in the movie have blonde love interests.)

http://i.imgur.com/EL1YQ17.png

BTW, it's funny how formal the language was in those days. Ari calls Kitty Mrs. Fremont until he kisses her and introduces her to his family under that name. As I mentioned, I have students who try to call me by my first name!

Oh FF...so many, where to start. Yes of course Exodus, and not sure why this came into my head, but "Das Boot" "African Queen" ...which sent the ol memory into the likes of "Casablanca" "Giant" "Hud" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and lastly, because of course maybe one too many G&T's on the water today I thought fondly of "broke back Mountain"...that's it for now. I will let others have there say.

"North by Northwest", Hitchcock at the top of his game. I first saw it in the theater at the Detroit Institute of Arts with a very well-mannered and appreciative audience, which added tremendously to how much I enjoyed it.

"Forbidden Planet", a jewel among the slew of schlocky science fiction movies in the 50's. Leslie Neilsen as the ship's captain, well before he turned to comedy. And the first appearance of Robby the Robot.

I've always wanted to see Exodus just because I love the music, but I have yet to see even a tiny bit.

Paul Newman was very hot when he was young and he remained sexy well into middle age.

My favorite old movie is definitely The Wizard of Oz. I loved seeing it in 3D/IMAX a few weeks ago even though I was initially concerned that the 3D was going to look gimmicky/silly. Instead it made me realize that 3D done well can be extremely engaging. (I'm not a fan of action/adventure films so I haven't seen anything in 3D since 3D glasses used to have different colored lenses for the left and right eyes.)

Guest Starbuck

My list is l-o-n-g, but I'll just mention half a dozen ...

Witness for the Prosecution (A GREAT film -- Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich -- that I somehow managed to miss until just this year.)

Advise and Consent (Excellent cast; highly recommended for political junkies ... and I think it has the first-ever depiction of a gay bar in a mainstream Hollywood movie.)

Then there are the movies you like and the fact that you like them is (supposedly) a tip-off that, hey, you're gay -- All About Eve (Bette Davis), Sunset Boulevard (Gloria Swanson).

Here's a film plenty of people will never have heard of but it's totally charming: On Borrowed Time (Lionel Barrymore, Beulah Bondi).

Lifeboat, the Hitchcock film I sometimes forget is a Hitchcock firm ... set entirely in (you guessed it) a lifeboat.

Twelve Angry Men, set entirely in a jury room; another great cast.

To Kill a Mockingbird, a film every bit as good as the first-rate novel.

The list goes on and on ... and on ...

The list goes on and on ... and on ...

Atticus Finch or Juror #8: which one for you?

[video=youtube;44TG_H_oY2E]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Mev3R4CJDWc/UGDXhV7750I/AAAAAAAAAAs/PHlIbgi7_ho/s1600/Henry+Fonda.gif

I got something to say, and then I ain't gonna say no more:

I'm going with Juror #8. I like intellectual types like Atticus, but I've dated guys like him, and they can be a bit humorless. Juror #8 is manly but sensitive, and he'd take me out to nice dinners. (Sorry, BVB.)

I got something to say, and then I ain't gonna say no more:

I'm going with Juror #8. I like intellectual types like Atticus, but I've dated guys like him, and they can be a bit humorless. Juror #8 is manly but sensitive, and he'd take me out to nice dinners. (Sorry, BVB.)

Thanks for the post FF and for the vid clip. Our memories are often diluted by time. I had forgotten how powerful that movie was.

Two of my favorite movies starred, or co-starred, the entire cast of the first Broadway play I ever saw, "Silent Night, Lonely Night," which only lasted a month or two in New York in 1959. The cast: Henry Fonda ("Twelve Angry Men") and Barbara Bel Geddes ("Vertigo"). I never saw Fonda and Bel Geddes in person again, so the memories are special. I should say that "Vertigo" is my favorite all-time film.

When I was young, certain 1930s and 40s movies were shown over and over on tv. My favorites were "All About Eve" (naturally), "Lifeboat" (Tallulah at her campiest), "Since You Went Away" and "Mrs. Miniver" (WWII tearjerkers), and the "Topper" series.

Mrs. Miniver. I remember watching that in the big, old fashioned movie theater that played old movies in my hometown town.

Guest Starbuck

I was going to limit myself. but ... as Meryl Streep remarked in One True Thing, "Less isn't more; MORE is more." So ...

Some Like It Hot ... the BEST Marilyn Monroe movie; she is terrific (as is everyone else in the film).

Laura ... Gene Tierney is beautiful; Clifton Webb is terrific.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir ... Gene Tierney again; NOTHING LIKE the much later and less interesting TV show.

And of a more recent vintage (but still old), Women in Love ... Alan Bates, Oliver Reed ... nude wrestling.

"Forbidden Planet", a jewel among the slew of schlocky science fiction movies in the 50's. Leslie Neilsen as the ship's captain, well before he turned to comedy. And the first appearance of Robby the Robot.

Yes! THE sf movie until "2001." "Id, id, id, id, id!"

My entry this morning...

http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-rose-tattoo-movie-poster-1955-1020207046.jpg

...come to think, most anything with Anna Magnani in it.

Movie is A-1. Loved the novel in 7th grade, but as time wore on... Suffice to say I fell out of the chair laughing on coming across Flannery O'Connor's crack, "It's interesting that all the folks that are buying it don't know they are buying a children's book."

Guest Starbuck
Movie is A-1. Loved the novel in 7th grade, but as time wore on... Suffice to say I fell out of the chair laughing on coming across Flannery O'Connor's crack, "It's interesting that all the folks that are buying it don't know they are buying a children's book."

You and Flannery make a good point ... made me realize how old I was when I read and loved the book LONG AGO, versus how old I've been the three or four times I've watched the film.

Guest Starbuck

Another film ... The Grapes of Wrath... more great work by Henry Fonda and a heartbreaking portrayal of strength and sorrow by Jane Darwell.

I would like to advance that 1939 was the best movie year ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_1939

GWTW, Wizard of Oz, The Women, All those Bette Davis appearances (including Dark Victory).

Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto were both riding high. and so were the westerns (including Stagecoach); Andy Hardy and Nancy Drew filled in the boy / girl culture

But looking at the list makes me wonder what the hell are:

Boy Friend James Tinling Jane Withers, Arlene Whelan Comedy 20th Century Fox

Boy Slaves P. J. Wolfson Anne Shirley, Roger Daniel Drama RKO

Boy Trouble George Archainbaud Charles Ruggles, Mary Boland, Donald O'Connor Drama Paramount Pictures

Boys' Reformatory Howard Bretherton Frankie Darro, Grant Withers Crime Monogram Pictures

You and Flannery make a good point ... made me realize how old I was when I read and loved the book LONG AGO, versus how old I've been the three or four times I've watched the film.

Glad that resonates. Funny this big difference between the novel and the film.

Back to the OP, not to forget the delightful...

http://blog.ctnews.com/meyers/files/2013/09/Kitty1.jpg

Shadow of a Doubt - one of Hitchcock's best movies-the ultimate "Cat-and-mouse-I know you know and you know I know" game

Midnight Lace - even though there are plot holes Doris Day as a stalking victim was chewing the scenery all the way through

Now Voyager - Bette Davis, Paul Henreid and a classic soap opera movie

Five Came Back - a young (and very beautiful) Lucille Ball is in a plane crash with 8 other people en route to Panama City. Lucy give a great performance and the movie was critically praised

And as said before, All About Eve (the whole movie) and Rear Window (especially the scene where Grace Kelly-looking stunning through the whole movie-comes to a major realization)

Archived