Movie trailer: Gay Life in Israel ("Undressing Israel")

bcohen7719

Thanks again BC...yes very interesting, and what is interesting is the perception that Israel is as a whole a very very dangerous place to live. I have not been, but friends who go back often, will tell you that what is seen in American media and portrayed on the news is 180 degrees from reality. Tel Aviv they is amazing and gay life there is very open and accepting.

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Thanks again BC...yes very interesting, and what is interesting is the perception that Israel is as a whole a very very dangerous place to live. I have not been, but friends who go back often, will tell you that what is seen in American media and portrayed on the news is 180 degrees from reality. Tel Aviv they is amazing and gay life there is very open and accepting.

I think it's no more dangerous than living anywhere else. There hasn't been a suicide bombing in Israel proper since 2007.

And yes, Tel Aviv is an incredibly open place.

I've looked at life from both sides now

From win and lose and still somehow

It's life's illusions I recall

I really don't know life at all

Well, there's a reason they call Tel Aviv "the bubble." It's not like elsewhere in Israel. I certainly wouldn't wear a rainbow shirt in Jerusalem. Even in Tel Aviv, you have to go through security just to get into a supermarket or shopping mall. And you'll have a hard time buying a sandwich or a pack of gum during Passover. And there's no way to get around at all on Yom Kippur--not even in your own car.

I thought only Haifa had docking facilities for ANY cruise ship line?

Tel Aviv has a cruise ship terminal http://cruising.org/vacation/destinations/cities/tel-aviv

If I raised the question it was because of security concerns some cruise line companies may have.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5508

Curiously Atlantis was never been able to put Israel (and gay-friendly Tel Aviv) on their itinerary in 20 years of business, even though the interest is there.

Curiously Atlantis was never been able to put Israel (and gay-friendly Tel Aviv) on their itinerary in 20 years of business, even though the interest is there.

Do you have a link? I Googled and nothing turned up.

Thanks, bcohen for that video. Just wondering if one of this forum's Israel-bashers can tell us when was the last time that the enlightened and progressive Palestinian authorities allowed a gay Pride parade in Ramallah? And how many gay bars are there in Gaza? Finally, how many open gay members sit in the Fatah and Hamas dominated Palestinian legislature? Just wondering......

Bozo

nice, Bozo.

To emphasize to the OP's post again, this is, in fact, the reality of Tel-Aviv - from first-hand experience. Not Jerusalem, and most certainly not Ramallah, Bethlehem, or Gaza!

The ultra-orthodox in Jerusalem (of all THREE faiths) are not ready for pride parades, but Tel-Aviv is a different matter.

I have NEVER heard of ANY Israeli policy barring, or even restricting, gay cruise ships, gay immigration, or anything like that. As contrasted to, for example, the Cayman Islands, which explicitly and specifically bars Atlantis and other gay cruises.

There are, on the other hand, numerous operators that choose not to visit Israel, or advertise there, because of threats (usually perceived; rarely real) of boycotts or because of other caving in to prejudice, or because of prejudice held by company owners. (The market in Arab countries is WAY larger than the Israeli market.)

In the case of the Holland lines, the unmentioned reason for change of plans "for security reasons" may well be because of pressure (or prejudice, or both) by the insurance companies that underwrite those cruises. Insurers have enormous power in such matters, and I'm certain that they have never forgotten the Achille Lauro and Leon Klinghoffer.

Now, let further posters please either stop posting or return to commenting on the OP's delightful video!

Thanks, bcohen for that video. Just wondering if one of this forum's Israel-bashers can tell us when was the last time that the enlightened and progressive Palestinian authorities allowed a gay Pride parade in Ramallah? And how many gay bars are there in Gaza? Finally, how many open gay members sit in the Fatah and Hamas dominated Palestinian legislature? Just wondering......

Bozo

I don't see any Israel-bashing here. I see people genuinely interested in visiting gay-friendly Tel Aviv.

For the Politics Forum scroll down.

PS: Why some people are getting over sensitive and defensive when you ask a simple question?

I don't see any Israel-bashing here. I see people genuinely interested in visiting gay-friendly Tel Aviv.

PS: Why some people are getting over sensitive and defensive for a simple question?

I agree completely. Any time Israel is mentioned, it's natural for Palestine to come up. But those discussions belong in the Politics Forum.

PS: Why some people are getting over sensitive and defensive when you ask a simple question?

I'm just wondering where the info came from. I found two gay Israeli cruises, which, like many other cruises, sail from Ashdod. Ashdod is the port that serves Jerusalem, so you'd think they'd be more hostile to gay cruises than Tel Aviv's port. My guess is that the size of the ship determines where it can dock.

http://www.happygaytravel.com/cruises/La_Demence/La_Demence_13.html

http://www.happygaytravel.com/cruises/La_Demence/La_Demence_13.html

From my web search, it seems that Ashdod is the major port for cruise ships in Israel.

Ashdod is the port that serves Jerusalem, so you'd think they'd be more hostile to gay cruises than Tel Aviv's port.

You are missing my point. The port isn't important and I never meant that Israel was hostile to gay cruises.

As I tried to explain in my private message to you earlier, I'm wondering about the choices that some companies make not to put Tel Aviv on their itinerary (despite the demand and the interest from their customers), while other all-gay cruise companies (like the one you linked) can make that choice?