The indignities some First Class passengers must suffer!

This topic is 3831 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that still true? I've heard from frequent flyers that this used to be true when gate agents had more leeway. But upgrade policies are all computerized now, so, they say, dressing nicely doesn't work the way it used to. But it sounds like it worked for you!

I would say it is extremely rare for someone to get upgraded these days because they were dressed well. Before the advent of Frequent Flyer Programmes, well-dressed folks who spoke nicely to the staff might occasionally get upgraded. Today, those privileges go to elite frequent flyers. I remember when I first started working after university (early 80's) people in the firm would tell me if I dressed nicely, I might get lucky and snag an upgrade. Those days didn't last long (maybe 2-3 years) and then it became all about your frequent flyer status.

I would say it is extremely rare for someone to get upgraded these days because they were dressed well. Before the advent of Frequent Flyer Programmes, well-dressed folks who spoke nicely to the staff might occasionally get upgraded. Today, those privileges go to elite frequent flyers. I remember when I first started working after university (early 80's) people in the firm would tell me if I dressed nicely, I might get lucky and snag an upgrade. Those days didn't last long (maybe 2-3 years) and then it became all about your frequent flyer status.

I agree. On those rare occasions in which the upgrades aren't given to platinum, then gold, then silver frequent flyers, the airlines will sell upgrades at a deep discount to coach passengers on a first-come first-served basis.

Archived