The indignities some First Class passengers must suffer!

This topic is 3832 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I overall don't see a "better class" of people in First Class versus economy. One cannot really "buy class". Many of those in First Class are free upgrades, or using miles, and many have no manners, dress poorly and think the plane should be renamed for them during the flight. Flip/flops and shorts on a man in First Class pisses me off (doesn't matter if he's good looking or not). Don't like it much in Economy either but it disappoints me less. I fly so often I can tell a First Class cash buyer from an upgrade in a second. If someone is upgraded and is "normal", that's great. If they are upgraded and offensive I'd much prefer they toss his/her ass off mid flight. Just not an "all hat, no cattle" type of guy like some. Some may not realize it but there are lots of multi millionaires in Economy.

TBH, I could care less how people dress as long as they don't disturb me. I've certainly worn demim shorts and mid-heeled sandals in first class during the summer. During the winter, I'm usually in dress jeans.

I agree that there's no difference as to the "class" of people in first as opposed to coach. It's all about how much you're willing to shell out or how much you fly.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always go first class. well I sit in coach but I take some first class sedatives with a first class anti anxiety agent and a first class headset and I wake up where I need to be. I dont need to spend a $1000 to be comfortable, just a few bucks on first class drugs.

Allow me to add, at no other time do I take these so they usually work very effectively. I usually try to take the last flight out at night or the first flight in the morning. For the morning flight, I usually stay up all night the night before and am ready for shut eye. What is that horrible sound in the back of the plane? Is the engine falling off? Is the landing gear stuck? No it is Purplekow grabbing some ZZZZ's and oblivious to the world inside the flying tin can.

The last time I took sleeping pill and even drank wine (I don't drink) while in coach, it didn't work. Not only was I not able to sleep, I ended up with a massive headache. :(

TBH, I could care less how people dress as long as they don't disturb me. I've certainly worn demim shorts and mid-heeled sandals in first class during the summer. During the winter, I'm usually in dress jeans.

I agree that there's no difference as to the "class" of people in first as opposed to coach. It's all about how much you're willing to shell out or how much you fly.

Yay we should sit together when flying. I promise not to disturb you. :)

Unicorn,

If you were truly first class you wold not have used "when you get to watch the hoi polloi do the walk of shame ", but rather just "hoi polloi" without the "the"

Hoi polloi means among other things "the many" so "the hoi polloi" means "the the many". Now don't take offense, it is commonly used incorrectly .

Oh, drintor, I am ever so much in your debt. Now I can out-snob someone else, and not risk <tee hee> of being corrected by hoi polloi (got it this time!). It's like when someone says "I have an excellent bottle of meritage!" and pronounces it "mehr-ee-TAJ". Then I can say "Pardon me, sir. I hate to correct you, but it's pronounced 'MEHR-it-idge'." We snobs do have to look after each other, you know... <big chuckle>

TBH, I could care less how people dress as long as they don't disturb me.

Spot on....IMO. I try to fly first as often as I can, and I always dress up, but that's just me. I am definitely the exception rather than the rule. The difference being is that my travel is for pleasure, so that usually means one flight, on and off, and no lay-overs if I can help it.

I think todays travels are more savvy than say even a few years ago. Routinely when I look around first class, most are business people, and unless someone is going directly to a meeting upon landing, these guys are about as casual as they can be. Business travels that hopscotch all over the country and throughout the world, are on and off planes and in and out of airports, and are subjected to long flights, know the importance of being comfortable. AND there are many very successful business people in coach that own their own businesses and do not have someone in corporate to pay for an upgrade. They are in coach to keep expenses in line.

I'm with FF, I don't much care who you are, what you look like or dress like, so long as you don't bother me.

Sorry here I go again. Flying first class with USAirways, is like tossing your money out of the window. I never

have had a pleasant experience at all. I don't think I'm stuck up to fly first class that's my choice and what

I pay for. I wish I could have taped my experience with first class on USAir versus other airlines but also to

say, hey what are we paying for?

To be fair, though, my right butt cheek falls asleep on almost every flight I take. (The same thing happens if I drive too long, which isn't long at all for most people.) Maybe the cushy-tushy seats are a better investment than I thought.

T

You may have a nerve compression syndrome, such as a piriformis syndrome. You might want to find a [commentary deleted] physician who understands these things. A pain-therapy physician might be able to help.

You may have a nerve compression syndrome, such as a piriformis syndrome. You might want to find a [commentary deleted] physician who understands these things. A pain-therapy physician might be able to help.

Oooh, ever had a good masseur knead your piriformis? You'll feel pain shooting out of the area as it's kneaded, but feels incredible afterwards.

Oooh, ever had a good masseur knead your piriformis? You'll feel pain shooting out of the area as it's kneaded, but feels incredible afterwards.

Variant anatomy sometimes places the sciatic nerve IN the piriformis. So, you can get "sciatica" without spinal stenosis or a bad lumbar disk. Made for tricky piriformis injections in the clinic ... having a numb sciatic nerve for 4 to 6 hours is not very nice.

I always dress pretty nicely when I travel internationally in Business or First. My brother worked for a European carrier for 20 years and let me in on the secret that if you are dressed well when you present yourself to the check-in counter, the likelihood of receiving an upgrade increases greatly. I have been upgraded from Business to First a few times, and from coach to Business many times because I took care in how I looked. Once I'm on the plane, I always change into sweat pants and a baggy sweater after take-off. I'm particularly fond of the cargo style sweats because you can put passport and wallet in one of the big side pockets and not worry about them being stolen (it has happened to me!) or lost. A few hours before landing while mostly everybody is still asleep and the FA's haven't started opening shades and passing out orange juice, I head for the lavatory to brush my teeth, change back into my real clothes, spritz some body spray (as mild as I can find so I don't bug anybody with over scenting!), and I'm fresh and happy when I arrive. If the Business lounge has a shower facility and I have the time before my connecting flight, I have a hot shower, shave and then a meal in the lounge. The Business class lounges in London have wonderful buffets, especially breakfast, and as I often fly through London, I treat myself to a full "English breakfast" in the lounge before continuing my trip. It's the only way to fly!

As for the class of people - it's a mixed bag and you have to cope with what you get. I once flew First Class on Air France and the woman across the aisle had a small dog in her lap who whined and yapped the entire 10 hours. I thought other passengers would murder her before we landed! I put in ear plugs and then the headset over them, played classical music at low volume and had a good nap but I could still faintly hear the fucking dog. The bitch (the owner, not the dog) put newspaper down in the aisle for the dog to relieve itself on and that's when the poop hit the ventilation. I have never seen an FA that angry in my life! But that was an aberration. Usually in First and Business, people pretty much keep to themselves. I don't like conversing with strangers, so I usually put on the headset and open my book as soon as the plane takes off. I don't watch movies very often because a plane is the one place where I can read completely undisturbed and that's a huge treat. I'm polite if my row mate wants to chat but I make it pretty clear that the conversation is going to be limited.

I always dress pretty nicely when I travel internationally in Business or First. My brother worked for a European carrier for 20 years and let me in on the secret that if you are dressed well when you present yourself to the check-in counter, the likelihood of receiving an upgrade increases greatly. I have been upgraded from Business to First a few times, and from coach to Business many times because I took care in how I looked

I had to comment on this actor61 because this is me to a "T"....I have always felt that the times that I was given some small preferential treatment, was because how I dressed, but most importantly how I carried myself. I am always exceedingly nice to airline staff, knowing full well that few have the authorization to make decisions regarding my travel. I always ask, very nicely and quietly to speak to a supervisor. It almost always works.

few hours before landing while mostly everybody is still asleep and the FA's haven't started opening shades and passing out orange juice, I head for the lavatory to brush my teeth, change back into my real clothes, spritz some body spray (as mild as I can find so I don't bug anybody with over scenting!), and I'm fresh and happy when I arrive.

Exactly!!....A half hour out, when everyone else starts to realize that they need to get ready for landing, and they start running around bumping into each and heading to the lavatory, I am already done and sitting calmly completely ready to disembark.

As for the class of people - it's a mixed bag and you have to cope with what you get. Usually in First and Business, people pretty much keep to themselves. I don't like conversing with strangers, so I usually put on the headset and open my book as soon as the plane takes off. I don't watch movies very often because a plane is the one place where I can read completely undisturbed and that's a huge treat. I'm polite if my row mate wants to chat but I make it pretty clear that the conversation is going to be limited.

Precisely...Most first and business class passengers keep to themselves, but every once and awhile, you will sit next to someone who wants to tell you their life's story. I always listen quietly for a few minutes, careful not to encourage conversation, then politely let them know that I am exhausted and that I need this flight to recuperate. That usually ends any conversation going forward.

I always dress pretty nicely when I travel internationally in Business or First. My brother worked for a European carrier for 20 years and let me in on the secret that if you are dressed well when you present yourself to the check-in counter, the likelihood of receiving an upgrade increases greatly. I have been upgraded from Business to First a few times, and from coach to Business many times because I took care in how I looked.

Is that still true? I've heard from frequent flyers that this used to be true when gate agents had more leeway. But upgrade policies are all computerized now, so, they say, dressing nicely doesn't work the way it used to. But it sounds like it worked for you!

As for the class of people - it's a mixed bag and you have to cope with what you get. I once flew First Class on Air France and the woman across the aisle had a small dog in her lap who whined and yapped the entire 10 hours. I thought other passengers would murder her before we landed! I put in ear plugs and then the headset over them, played classical music at low volume and had a good nap but I could still faintly hear the fucking dog.

That's unusual. The dogs I've seen on flights are usually tranquilized and put in the luggage bins above.

Was it a Pomeranian? I wouldn't mind the noise if it was tiny and cute.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qA15oUpTs3A/TO-Km_KVhYI/AAAAAAAACfk/vGckF9_uneE/s1600/pomeranian2.jpg

Is that still true? I've heard from frequent flyers that this used to be true when gate agents had more leeway. But upgrade policies are all computerized now, so, they say, dressing nicely doesn't work the way it used to. But it sounds like it worked for you!

I would be really surprised if this ever worked today. There are entire online frequent flyer forums (Flyertalk) where probably 80% of the threads are high level elites scheming on how to improve their upgrade chances and bitching like hell when they perceive that someone with lesser status might have edged them out.

Not everyone flying up front are paying bazillions of dollars to do it. Most are on upgrades. I haven't flown coach (on a flight that had Biz or First) in years but that's because I'm a top tier American Airlines customer and I'm normally booking the space weeks in advance (date of booking being one of the determining factors on the order of upgrades). I almost always pay the lowest price that I can find, but it's always on American. I'd take a double connection on American to get to a destination even over another airlines non-stop. They reward me for my loyalty with upgrades, lounge access, special reservations numbers, the pre-screened security lines, etc. Just last week the F/A on a commuter jet (no first class) came to me before takeoff and asked what I'd like to drink and whether I wanted a snack. The guy in business attire sitting across the aisle looked on rather incredulously at me as I was traveling in my normal shorts and flip flops.

So would I pay for first or business? Hell no (unless I've hit Powerball), but staying loyal to one airline (and flying a LOT) keeps me enjoying air travel rather than dreading it like most do.

Oh and by the way, same with hotels (Intercontinental Group and Hyatt) and rental cars (National).

The dog was in a carrier but after we took off, the passenger took it out and kept it on a leash at her feet. It was a yippy Yorkshire terrier. The owner was absolutely hateful, by the way, and told the FA that she was going to report her for being an "inhuman dog hater."

When I can, on international flights, I redeem miles for business class or first class. But I'd never pay for such a thing at my current income level. International first class is 13 times what I pay for rent. Unless one is wealthy (and I don't mean $215k/yr radiologist/anesthesiologist wealthy, or even $325k OC orthopedic surgeon wealthy, but real wealthy) I just don't see the benefit of the expense. That some people decline to travel internationally because coach isn't what it used to be, and I'm old enough to remember what it used to be, astounds me. Yes it sucks. And yes It's only 10 hours out of your life. Ear plugs cost $1 at CVS. Down 2 capfuls of children's liquid Benadryl (generic at CVS) and wake up in a beautiful new destination with a shockingly limited drowsy effect (it's liquid, it absorbs quickly and wears off with your first cup of coffee.)

When I can, on international flights, I redeem miles for business class or first class. But I'd never pay for such a thing at my current income level.

I agree. But I will definitely schedule a vacation around whatever dates/locations for which I can get upgraded. And I will definitely pick the airline that upgrades me more frequently (yes, I did get upgraded for my trip back to the Bay Area--this time in my favorite seat, 2A, not 4A whose "location by economy class could be bothersome"--although on my trip over there was a baby in first class!). I have only actually purchased first class seats a few times, mostly on foreign carriers. When I have purchased it, I have been very glad I did. One was on Royal Jordanian from Amman to Istanbul. For about $200 more, I got to use the first-class check-in, the airline's business lounge before, the flight, and I got a nice meal on the flight, (etc.). Same story for Turkish Airlines from Istanbul to Tel Aviv. The best money spent was on Hainan Airlines from Peking to Shanghai. Not only do you not have to wait in huge lines to check in, they actually have you sit down in a carpeted area, and do the work for you! I took first class again from Shanghai to Guilin, and then cursed myself for not spending the extra $100 for the upgrade from Guilin to Shenzhen (how bad can a 45-minute flight be, I asked myself?). The two other times I can think of included one time when I bought first-class for just the San Juan PR to Charlotte leg of a trip, in which I was afraid I might not get upgraded. Despite getting there two hours before my flight, the San Juan airport was a zoo--people were lining out the doors. I tipped a porter another $20 to whisk me through, and comfortably made it to the plane. There were many empty seats in coach by others who didn't make it. One time I was upgraded and never forgot, was a few days after 9/11/01 (I believe it was 9/14 or 9/15). Despite predicting chaos and getting there quite early, most coach passengers simply never made it onto the flight. I'll never forget getting on the plane which was empty other than first class--and watching it take off on time.

But I agree that I can't see myself spending thousands of $$ extra for a transatlantic trip on a US or European carrier. Now my brother and his wife have an income well into the 7 figures annually. For him, it's worth it.

My housemate is a masseur. He's a little guy (5'1") and has small hands, so he can get around corners of bones and other muscles to knead things. As you said: It feels incredible.

I always dress pretty nicely when I travel internationally in Business or First.

I've been told I accomplished the impossible: Upgrade on Virgin Atlantic BOS - LHR in 2001: Premium Economy to first class. BOTH WAYS. Blue blazer, white shirt, rep tie and flying companion similarly dressed. [in good taste, not the blazer, etc.]. We didn't get the ground goodies. In fact, when I asked the return-trip lady at LHR if there was a possibility of an upgrade, she somewhat indignantly said: "SIR! I'm doing it right now!"

Those were the days of the 165 degree recline, but still much better than a seat.

Cut to 2009. JFK - LHR. Dinner on the ground, flight (upstairs on 747). Quick nightcap and night-night with lights very dim in cabin. Awakened like 45 minutes before landing. Shower and breakfast on the ground. I felt like I'd not flown at all.

VA gets my vote!

Since I'm on a roll ...

It wasn't an indignity, it was a tear-jerker. I was sitting in FC with an empty seat next to me. A woman of a certain age was brought from coach to sit next to me, then shortly thereafter was asked to return to her other seat.

A young (late 20's) fellow was seated, crying, and the flight attendant handed him two bourbons and a coke. The tale goes thusly:

He is a cross-country bicycle racer. Really, really good; major award winner. He was also a relatively new Father, like six months into the Father role. He had stopped racing while his child was growing up.

So he goes to a race (in SLC), his first since his son was born, and finishes first. He is pulled from the winner's line / circle and informed that his six month infant had died, probably SIDS. First time he left the house for more

than one night.

A minor indignity, but I did what I could to help the poor fellow. mostly let him talk and try to help him figure out his emotions.

It really was a tear jerker.

And LOADS of Kudos for the flight attendants for helping him. They really were attentive! [FYI: Delta airlines]

I think I can deal with shorts/flip-flops and any fashion style for that matter as long the passenger is not obnoxious, too loud or excessively drunk.

Here is the proverbial Passengers’ Airplane Behavior Bill of Rights ;)

http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?95433-The-Passengers%92-Airplane-Behavior-Bill-of-Rights&p=876946#post876946

Archived