The indignities some First Class passengers must suffer!

This topic is 3838 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found out earlier today that I got upgraded on my flight from SFO to Charlotte. I usually prefer the 2nd row, but in this instance, first class was apparently full, and I got put in the 4th and last row of the Airbus A321. Out of boredom, I looked at what http://www.seatguru.com had to say of US Airways' A321's 4th row. If you click on the 4th row, it says "...proximity to Economy Class may be bothersome." Have any of you had to suffer the indignity of being seated next to coach customers?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<Sigh!> Gone are the days when the plane was full they'd put a lucky passenger up on the flight deck. Happened to me twice back in the 70s. It was Awesome!

I found out earlier today that I got upgraded on my flight from SFO to Charlotte. I usually prefer the 2nd row, but in this instance, first class was apparently full, and I got put in the 4th and last row of the Airbus A321. Out of boredom, I looked at what http://www.seatguru.com had to say of US Airways' A321's 4th row. If you click on the 4th row, it says "...proximity to Economy Class may be bothersome." Have any of you had to suffer the indignity of being seated next to coach customers?

In some of the more exotic places where I had flown, I usually was in business class, and occasionally moved (due to overbooking) to 1st, but that hardly happens these days. What I enjoyed was the absolute egalitarianism in some countries - economy passengers felt they had a right to tour the entire plane throughout the 8 or more hours flight, and toilets were for everyone no matter what class. In some countries, both flight crew and passengers used the toilets in the forward compartment (business) as a private smoking lounge.

Well, Chris, hope you enjoyed having the curtain dividing you from the coach customers... or was that removed too as often happens on the airbus?

If I was in first or business class I would never sit in the 4th row. I could never live with such indignity.

:D;)

<Sigh!> Gone are the days when the plane was full they'd put a lucky passenger up on the flight deck. Happened to me twice back in the 70s. It was Awesome!

That explains. I was watching an episode of the twilight zone (the 60s) tonight, and gasped when the lady walked up and knocked on the cockpit door.

Funny thread, gave me a nice chuckle...I was on a cross country run the other day and was sitting in the last row in First. I know it was ridiculous, but I had booked at the last minute and it was the only seat available in first class, so you take what you can get. The lady in the second row of Coach was talking and just generally being annoying. I turned, looked over the top of my glasses and said to lady sitting in the first row of coach, "You're gonna have a long flight" we both started laughing, and then I asked the steward (very cute BTW) to close the curtain. As he closed it, I looked back at the lady sitting in the first row of coach, smiled apologetically, and just simply said, "Sorry"....

If I was in first or business class I would never sit in the 4th row. I could never live with such indignity.

Yeah! This is such an abomination! :rolleyes:

http://www.airreview.com/USAirways/320-Seats-Biz.jpg

http://www.seatplans.com/files/Seat-Plans/US-Airways/US_A321.jpg http://www.1a20.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/US_Airways_Airbus_A3211.gif

I think they're referring to the screaming babies in coach. Let's face it: People pay the extra miles or money for first not to be right next to those sounds. (It's not the babies' fault, but that doesn't make it any less true.)

You do realize FF that when we are flying together, I would never ever subject you to such 'riff raff'...;)

Guest Starbuck

Funny how, in the hypothetical, it's always a screaming baby next to you in coach. But just suppose, instead of the baby, it was ... oh, let's say ... ROMANN (or another fine gentleman you'd like to know) versus ... oh ... NEWT GINGRICH (or his scary-looking wife) next to you in Row 2. Where do you want to sit now?

Guest verymarried

This is def not an anti Semitic comment but on my recent Houston to Newark flight, there were several orthodox rabbis in first class. I was looking for a priest and a preacher back in coach to try to think up a joke about but never found them.

according to Steven's posted seat layout maps, if you can get 4A or 4C, you'll at least be a just a few inches further away from the unwashed masses in steerage than in 4D or 4F

Wow. Is it the crying babies or the "unwashed masses in steerage" now? Some people just love to protest too much. :rolleyes:

I'd rather sit next to a good-natured person rather than listen to someone complaining all the time.

according to Steven's posted seat layout maps, if you can get 4A or 4C, you'll at least be a just a few inches further away from the unwashed masses in steerage than in 4D or 4F

It goes the other way too. Many people prefer the first row of coach (even if it's not an exit row) because it's closer to first.

OK, I might not be the most popular respondent person here. I have to say, first class is not what it use to be. Me, I'm a big person and pay extra for first class. OK, I know that people in coach have to go to the bathroom but it seems they have to go very often after the flight takes off, that's just a pet peeve of mine. But what I get upset about is where are the perks anymore with first class. With USAir you're lucky to get pretzels and they almost get pissed if they have to serve you a drink. Delta, a bit nicer, with hot towels, hot food and glass instead of plastic. Am I a stuck up, no, but I pay and expect some first class experiences.

OK, I might not be the most popular respondent person here. I have to say, first class is not what it use to be. Me, I'm a big person and pay extra for first class. OK, I know that people in coach have to go to the bathroom but it seems they have to go very often after the flight takes off, that's just a pet peeve of mine. But what I get upset about is where are the perks anymore with first class. With USAir you're lucky to get pretzels and they almost get pissed if they have to serve you a drink. Delta, a bit nicer, with hot towels, hot food and glass instead of plastic. Am I a stuck up, no, but I pay and expect some first class experiences.

I'm with you. I remember flying first on an international flight on TWA when I was just a tiny little thing. They would keep you up all night with 5 or 6 courses, starting with caviar (the first time I had ever tried it) and ending with cheese and dessert.

Actually, I prefer First Class on Amtrak. In the real world, given the choice of flying or driving, I'll take driving every time. I can travel door-to-door Houston to Dallas by car faster than flying and I get to listen to my own music, take a break when I want to, and have any meal I choose (although restaurants can be few and far between on I-45) and it costs less, too. A couple of weeks ago, I had to make a last-minute trip from Houston to Chattanooga. The airfare was $3,000.00 for coach (round trip). No Thanks! I gassed up the car and drove, non-stop, for 875 miles, did what needed doing, and drove back--all in less than three days time and saved a bunch of money (enough to go on several cruises or continue my wicked ways and hire providers that are well reviewed and well regarded)....

Have any of you had to suffer the indignity of being seated next to coach customers?

Only once, on a particularly vexing leg of the Overland Trail. It was raining and I found myself with five strangers bumping along a muddy stretch between Atchison and Big Sandy, where I was to meet an old school chum who, by a remarkable coincidence, was also known as Big Sandy.

But I digress.

My fellow passengers were, to my left, a traveling purveyor of notions; to my right, a preacher on his way to tend to his flock in San Francisco; and, across the narrow footwell, a matronly older woman and her two even more matronly daughters. When Big Sandy climbed on board a few stops later, with what she considered an adorable Pekingese tucked under her arm, conditions went from bad to worse. The babble was incessant and even a generous sip of laudanum could not settle my jangled nerves.

At Plum Creek, where we stopped to rest the horses, I noticed the moon beginning to break through the clouds and shyly asked the coachman if he ever felt lonely perched on his bench in the nighttime stillness. When he confessed he did sometimes wish for company, especially guiding his team past the old fort just ahead, I took pity and offered my own humble yet willing companionship for the hours ahead. The bench was just wide enough for two, and a small pocket in the foot rest accommodated my travel flask perfectly.

Big Sandy was grateful for the extra room inside the carriage, as was her little Princess.

And Flip, our coachman, told me later that it had been the ride of his life. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/mccluredougbio.jpg

Archived