Will it ever fly?

glutes

“Flight with Purpose ®"

So now you rely upon vendors predicting what the manufacturer will do? Apparently someone left a wrench in a "J" box and being adrift, it managed to get into an electrical component. Again, why do you think they call them test flights?

Do they make Depends for the mouth?

Best regards,

KMEM

If the on-board fire(!) had such a simple cause (wrench in "J" box), why aren't they resuming test flights?

(That next test will be a “Flight with Purpose ®", ey Captain?)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/11/11/business/11boeing-span/11boeing-span-articleLarge.jpg

Edited by glutes

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the link provided by Instidiocity it wasn't even a wrench but only a simple washer. Naturally, ANYTHING that is misplaced can cause a good deal of harm, even such as a "gloats" supplied post. I am sure test flights will resume shortly and deliveries will commence very soon. I don't think that will be the same for some sane and sensible posts by gloats.

Best regards,

KMEM

A piece of debris inside an electrical control panel caused a short and then a fire. What happened next has been described as a cascading series of failures. The fire self-extinguished within 30 seconds, but the plane lost primary electrical power, Boeing said. The system meant to distribute power to an array of devices — from cockpit displays to microwave ovens — went haywire.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/09/131856033/woes-mount-for-boeing-s-much-awaited-dreamliner

Sounds comforting, ay Captain?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_savG293Eu-k/TIHADxeC1lI/AAAAAAAAACE/Em7lRpU-z6g/s1600/captain-and-tennille1.jpg

And this is different how? I have "criticized" Boeing before for apparently following the current political climate and becoming a "world' company. Their vendors have severely let them down or worse. I am not sure how or if Boeing will resolve this issue, any more than I know how the US will.

Otherwise, software issues are a bitch. Donald Douglas had it right. Have a cable connected to each and every control surface. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

• 1 month later...

it is just a dream!

Boeing Co. said Tuesday it now plans to deliver its first 787 Dreamliner sometime in the third quarter, more than three years behind schedule.

The latest delivery setback—the seventh official delay—for the Dreamliner program comes more than two months after an in-flight electrical fire and subsequent emergency landing forced Boeing to halt flight testing across its fleet of six test Dreamliners. The first delivery had been expected next month...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954004576089703794210100.html?KEYWORDS=boeing

Never worry, gloats, just don't ride on it if you are worried. OTOH, if WA state goes out of business, perhaps we all should worry?

Best regards,

KMEM

It is totally amazing to me that some think I am negative when we have such as gloats around to stir things down.

Never worry, gloats, just don't ride on it if you are worried. OTOH, if WA state goes out of business, perhaps we all should worry?

Remember the old Zenith TV ad? "At Zenith, the quality goes in, before the name goes on - ZENITH!" If only Zenith had the ARFAA watching over them, they'd still be making TV's.

Boeing is experimenting with manufacturing by committee and trying to reinvent the commercial airliner. These things take time...

Instudiocity-

Boeing has a lot of problems to include those you mention. However, as the "premier" US aircraft manufacturer, I hope we can all agree to encourage them to do their best. Of course, gloats will only stand by the wayside and make snide remarks, not helpful to anyone.

Best regards,

KMEM

Boeing is experimenting with manufacturing by committee and trying to reinvent the commercial airliner. These things take time...

There's the nub. An engineering manager at BMW once told me his company follows an "iron law" -- never try to change both the PRODUCT and the PROCESS at the same time. Boeing forgot that.

As, like you, a rooter for Boeing, it does give me no end of pleasure to watch the Germans and French inside EADS forever struggling to forebear each other.

ME, THREE!

My bro worked for and now consults with airlines. He says EADS can't build a good plane because they can't decide - wine or beer with lunch!

EADS can't build a good plane because they can't decide - wine or beer with lunch!

That is the damned truth! I used to consult to a now-extinct French software company. First time there, my jaw dropped when we went in to lunch at 11:45 am, to a table set with foie gras pate and Sauternes. Followed by 2 more wine pairings with the main course and dessert.

After that, we all pretended to go back to work, but you can imagine.

my jaw dropped when we went in to lunch at 11:45 am, to a table set with foie gras pate and Sauternes. Followed by 2 more wine pairings with the main course and dessert.

After that, we all pretended to go back to work, but you can imagine.

Hahahahahaha, AS, you read my mind. I prefer my aviation engineers stone cold sober.

Look at my OP that is nearly 2 years old!

Boeing Co. executives on Wednesday said they were confident that they would deliver between 25 and 40 new 787 and 747-8 aircraft this year, despite persistent delays that have set both programs back by years.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSPd4K89NXH96157sjup0xNUGDctJGQKq4F1TCgUA49JBHUhGrSw