Will it ever fly?

glutes

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait Max, there's more!

The engine of a Boeing 747 exploded in midair Saturday over the Netherlands, dropping metal debris that injured two people, according to Dutch authorities.

The ABC national news (US, not Oz) reported that both that engine and the one from the 777 were of the same kind made my Pratt & Whitney (and also that kind of engine is not being put on current 777s).

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Rossiya Airlines Boeing 777 cargo plane made an emergency landing at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport on Friday due to a problem with an engine control sensor, the airline said.

The plane was a 15-year-old 777-300ER, according to flight tracking website FlightRadar24, which means it has General Electric engines.

Those are different from the Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines under scrutiny after an engine fire aboard a United Airlines 777 on Saturday which prompted the suspension of operations involving planes using those engines.

• 1 month later...

Max, there you are again.

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — It’s a little like déjà vu, on Friday Boeing recommended that more than one-dozen of its customers take some of their planes out of service because of a potential electrical issue.

In all, U.S. airlines temporarily suspended the use of more than 65 Boeing 737 MAX jets, with 16 carriers.

Max, there you are again.

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — It’s a little like déjà vu, on Friday Boeing recommended that more than one-dozen of its customers take some of their planes out of service because of a potential electrical issue.

In all, U.S. airlines temporarily suspended the use of more than 65 Boeing 737 MAX jets, with 16 carriers.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. Who would have thought?

New York (AFP) - The potential electrical problem that prompted airlines to remove some 737 MAX planes from service has been found in more areas of the plane than initially known, a report said Friday.

Boeing said on April 9 that the issue, discovered during the manufacturing process, requires "verification that a sufficient ground path exists for a component of the electrical power system."

But The Wall Street Journal, citing Boeing, reported Friday that the manufacturing issue affects "more areas of the flight deck than previously known."

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2009 at 5:37 AM, glutes said:

The Boeing 787 has become a PR nightmare for Boeing, I also think a financial catastrophe at the end of the day. Having just announced another delay yesterday after saying it was going to make a maiden flight by the end of this month. The Paris Air Show crowd must have known that Boeing Execs were bullshitting them...

12 years later, the story never changes...

The Federal Aviation Administration said Friday that Boeing (BA.N) had temporarily halted deliveries of 787 Dreamliners as the agency waits for more data to determine if the planemaker's planned inspection method meets federal requirements.

"Boeing still needs to show that its proposed inspection method would meet FAA’s federal safety regulations. The FAA is waiting for additional data from Boeing before determining whether the company’s solution meets safety regulations," the FAA said in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-halts-deliveries-787-dreamliners-wsj-2021-05-28/

On 5/30/2021 at 3:57 AM, glutes said:

12 years later, the story never changes...

The Federal Aviation Administration said Friday that Boeing (BA.N) had temporarily halted deliveries of 787 Dreamliners as the agency waits for more data to determine if the planemaker's planned inspection method meets federal requirements.

"Boeing still needs to show that its proposed inspection method would meet FAA’s federal safety regulations. The FAA is waiting for additional data from Boeing before determining whether the company’s solution meets safety regulations," the FAA said in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-halts-deliveries-787-dreamliners-wsj-2021-05-28/

Over at OMAAT, I saw in a thread about the B787 window dimmers (first world problem right there) where someone had said that was a reason they preferred the A350, another poster asked why on earth anyone would prefer a surrender monkey aircraft to a good patriotic all-Murican Boeing (or words to that effect, the Boeing bit; the Airbus part is a direct quote). Would it be too simplistic to suggest, 'Because they know what they are doing'?

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I read that Southwest has just ordered a bunch of new Maxes from Boeing. I mentally scratched that airline off my list of potential carriers.

Are there any airlines in the US or Canada that doesn't fly them? (Serious question, I don't know.)

ED: Looks like Delta doesn't.

Edited by mike carey
(Answering my question.)

39 minutes ago, mike carey said:

Are there any airlines in the US or Canada that doesn't fly them? (Serious question, I don't know.)

ED: Looks like Delta doesn't.

Most of them were flying them before they were shutdown. Now I don’t know whether they have all been brought back into service. There hasn’t been a lot of need for them up to now in Canada since the pandemic. For example Air Canada is flying at very low levels because of the shutdown on travel. Demand is only increasing in the US because restrictions there are loosening faster.

16 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Cheated the grim reaper once again.

Frankly, for short hops I never pay attention to airline equipment. The info card was sticking up in a pocket in front of me at eye level and i noticed. As we were safely landing.

Based on the Max history, you would have known shortly after takeoff.

14 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Frankly, for short hops I never pay attention to airline equipment. The info card was sticking up in a pocket in front of me at eye level and i noticed. As we were safely landing.

I've been on one flight, LAX to Washington National, so not a short hop, and I had read the info card. But that was before the aircraft had become famous. Here, I don't have to think about it, Qantas doesn't fly them, and although Virgin had them on order that was cancelled when they went into administration.

Edited by mike carey

• 2 weeks later...

A maintenance error may have caused a British Airways 787-8 Dreamliner jet to collapse on its nose at London’s Heathrow Airport Friday morning June 18. The plane was being readied for a cargo flight to Frankfurt, Germany.

According to reports, the front landing gear, beneath the pilot’s cabin, gave way not while the plane was taxiing on the runway or being pushed back, but while it was parked on the tarmac at stand 583. There were no passengers on board, but according to the Daily Mail, medics treated several people on the scene for injuries.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/british-airways-787-dreamliner-collapses-nose-gear-gives-way/

Edited by glutes

• 4 weeks later...

Glutes is shocked!

New York (CNN Business)Even when Boeing has its best month in years, it has problems.

Boeing (BA) on Tuesday disclosed a new issue with the 787 Dreamliner widebody jet, which has been dogged with problems since August. The company said some of the planes' fuselage was not joined together to meet precise standards and there are questions about the verification process to make sure they meet the standards.
The locations where parts of the plane are joined must meet precise standards down to a small fraction of an inch. There are questions about the inspection process used to check that work.
The company said it has been working with the FAA on the problem and identified a way to fix the 787s that haven't yet been delivered to customers. Boeing said 787 planes already in service do not need to be grounded.