They won't even let them eat cake!

glutes

This topic is 5980 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Red Cross has been, and is still, barred from providing service in New Orleans. Not because of security concerns, but because, to quote the Red Cross website, "The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

In otherwords, a decision was made to starve the people in order to encourage them to leave.

Red Cross webpage: http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html#4524

Dailykos diary: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/2/2125/04978

the red cross is taking care of the people once they are out of the city in the emergency shelters. they do not do search and rescue. it makes sense to get EVERYONE out and not let more people inside the city.people should have been evacuated sooner and not have to wait for days.

yes, food and water should have gotten inside the city to those waiting to be evacuated sooner than it did. that should have been done by the government as they got the people out(a bus coming in could have brought provisions for those waiting).

what is disturbing to me is the lack of coordination between the various government agencies and relief organizations. i can not imagine what would happen to a city during a major terror strike with an atomic bomb or dirty bomb. it is clear that the government on all levels from the local on up needs to learn from this experience.

Soylent Green??

It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive. Four days after the storm, thousands of blacks in New Orleans are dying like dogs. No-one has come to help them.

I am a sixty-four year old African-American.

New Orleans marks the end of the America I strove for.

I am hopeless. I am sad. I am angry against my country for doing nothing when it mattered.

This is what we have come to. This defining watershed moment in America’s racial history. For all the world to witness. For those who’ve been caused to listen for a lifetime to America’s ceaseless hollow bleats about democracy. For Christians, Jews and Muslims at home and abroad. For rich and poor. For African-American soldiers fighting in Iraq. For African-Americans inside the halls of officialdom and out.

My hand shakes with anger as I write. I, the formerly un-jaundiced human rights advocate, have finally come to see my country for what it really is. A monstrous fraud.

But what can I do but write about how I feel. How millions, black like me, must feel at this, the lowest moment in my country’s story.

Randall Robinson is a social

justice advocate and author

whose works include The Debt –

What America Owes to Blacks

RE: Soylent Green??

> It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans

>have begun eating corpses to survive. Four days after the

>storm, thousands of blacks in New Orleans are dying like dogs.

>No-one has come to help them.

>

Reported by whom? Rush Limbaugh? Sean Hannity? David Duke? What real evidence is there that this has happened?

RE: Soymilk Green??

Because Randall Robinson says it, this must be true? Give me a break. There is no source or proof offered for the "report". As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Robinson's remarks are fiction until he can provide some evidence for these accusations.

And that is exactly what they are, accusations.

The people of New Orleans and the surrounding areas are going through enough without being subjected to more baseless accusations.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.