What Would Jesus Say?

glutes

This topic is 5991 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Robertson's call to assassinate Chavez causes storm in Washington, Venezuela

Last Updated Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:05:50 EDT

CBC News

Pat Robertson's call for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has caused an angry reaction in Washington, D.C. and beyond. The conservative U.S. evangelist and founder of the Christian Coalition said Monday night that Chavez represents a "terrific danger" to the United States.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said.

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Chavez is an outspoken critic of U.S. foreign policy, in particular of Washington's attitude towards Latin America.

He has accused the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have said his accusations are ridiculous.

The Bush administration also forcefully distanced itself from Robertson's comments on Tuesday.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld said: "Our department doesn't do that kind of thing. It's against the law. He's a private citizen. Private citizens say all kinds of things all the time."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called Robertson's remarks "inappropriate." He acknowledged that the U.S. has its differences with the Caracas government.

In Caracas, Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel called on America to do something about Robertson. "The ball is in the U.S. court, after this criminal statement by a citizen of that country," he said.

Former U.S. President Gerald Ford put political assassination off-limits in an executive order in the mid-1970s.

Guest jeffOH

Horrible little man, someone should "take him out". Here's the latest Homo-Rant from Robertson.

Robertson: Gays and Lesbian "self-absorbed narcissists"

Pat Robertson, 700 Club host and founder of the Christian Coalition of America, called gays and lesbians "self-absorbed narcissists who are willing to destroy any institution so long as they can have affirmation of their lifestyle." Robertson attributed the legalization of no-fault divorce and abortion to gays and lesbians, adding, "now they want to destroy marriage."

From the August 16 edition of the Christian Broadcasting Network's The 700 Club:

ROBERTSON: I had interviewed a lady who was a sociologist who says "I am a lesbian," but she described homosexuality in this term, she said, "They are self-absorbed narcissists." I want you to put that down -- self-absorbed narcissists who are willing to destroy any institution so long as they can have affirmation of their lifestyle. You go back to the various laws that took away the difficulty of getting a divorce, and the people leading the charge were homosexuals, way back in the '70s. So we have no-fault divorce. Who are leading the charge for abortions? So often, you'll find people who are lesbians leading the fight for the destruction of human life. Now they want to destroy marriage.

The first no-fault divorce law in the nation was signed in California in 1969 by Gov. Ronald Reagan.

Posted to the web on Wednesday August 17, 2005 at 3:28 PM EST

Guest jeffOH

FOX's Brit Hume's brief mention of Pat Robertson was to downplay his remarks and to criticize CNN's "excessive" coverage of Robertson.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Robertson lies about his Chavez comments; claims he "didn't say 'assassination' "

Responding on the August 24 broadcast of The 700 Club to the outcry over his August 22 comments calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, Pat Robertson falsely denied that he used the word "assassination" and claimed that he was "misinterpreted" by the Associated Press, which first reported the story following Media Matters for America's posting of the transcript and video clip of his comments. Robertson claimed that what he had said on August 22 was that the U.S. should "take him [Chavez] out," adding that "there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him." In fact, Robertson did use the word "assassination" in the August 22 broadcast and said, "f he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

Robertson issued his denial during an interview with former ambassador-at-large for the Republic of Venezuela and outspoken Chavez critic Thor Halvorssen on the August 24 broadcast of Christian Broadcasting Network's The 700 Club:

HALVORSSEN: Now, I think that it's very important to also note your comments were about assassination. The person -- I think that alternative is lowering to his level.

ROBERTSON: Wait a minute, I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should, quote, "take him out," and "take him out" can be a number of things including kidnapping. There are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP, but that happens all the time.

HALVORSSEN: Well, he in fact tried to use that. Chavez, in 1992, attempted to assassinate the democratically elected President Carlos Andrés Pérez and his family and he failed, and for that he went to jail. The person who began this, who started the concept of assassination for political reasons, was in fact Hugo Chavez, and his foreign minister is a former guerrilla terrorist. They basically have no standing to criticize anyone who made remarks that like -- you know, that were misinterpreted like the ones you made.

In fact, Robertson explicitly called for Chavez's assassination on the August 22 broadcast of The 700 Club:

ROBERTSON: You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war. And I don't think any oil shipments will stop. But this man is a terrific danger and the United ... This is in our sphere of influence, so we can't let this happen. We have the Monroe Doctrine, we have other doctrines that we have announced. And without question, this is a dangerous enemy to our south, controlling a huge pool of oil, that could hurt us very badly. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.

— N.C.

Posted to the web on Wednesday August 24, 2005 at 1:10 PM EST

Andy Borowitz wroe this hilarious piece on the subject

PAT ROBERTSON URGES U.S. TO COVET CHAVEZ’ WIFE

Televangelist Breaks Second Commandment in Two Days

One day after Pat Robertson called for the U.S. to assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, the televangelist raised the ante again today, urging the U.S. to covet President Chavez’ wife.

In so doing, Mr. Robertson appeared to contradict two of The Ten Commandments in as many days, having flouted “Thou shat not kill” on Monday.

Speaking on the television program he hosts, “The 700 Club,” Mr. Robertson lashed out at the Venezuelan strongman once more, telling his audience, “It’s high time that the United States coveted Hugo Chavez’ wife.”

Warming to his topic, the opinionated preacher added, “And while we’re at it, we should covet his house, his manservant, his maidservant, his ox and his ass, for that matter.”

Mr. Robertson indicated that all of the coveting he referred to would not require a war, arguing that it could be all done through the use of covert operatives within Venezuela.

“We could send some special ops guys down there, and bang-bang, covet all of that stuff,” Mr. Robertson told his audience.

Speaking to reporters after the program, Mr. Robertson was unrepentant about having broken two of the Ten Commandments in two days, telling them, “I fully intend to obey the other eight, and eight out of ten ain’t bad.”

But the televangelist seemed to waver from that position slightly, telling reporters that the U.S. should “bear false witness against Hugo Chavez and dishonor Hugo Chavez’s mother and father.”

Elsewhere, one day after the Princeton Review named the University of Wisconsin the nation’s top party school, UW said that it was “too hammered” to comment.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.