What's Gov. Sngr.'s new sex law plan?

Unicorn

This topic is 5995 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

According to the SF Chronicle, "Tens of thousands of California sex offenders would be forced to wear electronic tracking devices for the rest of their lives under two new bills backed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger." Apparently the governor plans to put this to a popular vote if the legislature doesn't act. What the article didn't mention was what was meant by "sex offenders." I didn't see anything which restricted the crimes to violent offenses or offenses against children. Does anyone reading this know if the intention is to put tracking devices of anyone convicting of attempting to solicit a #### (or attempting to solicit a john)? It seems that anyone with such a tracking device couldn't really function in society. Would they be able to leave the state or country?

Given that this initiative is coming from the same state that implemented 3 strikes legislation, I'm not surprised. Neither would I be surprised if huge injustices did not arise, such as 18 year old boys getting caught up in this law for having sex with their 16 year old girlfriends. I guess that since the gov is married to a Kennedy, he feels this law would cause no problems for him, despite his (and their) chequered past. x(

There was a really funny letter to the editor in yesterday's Chronicle about this issue. She pointed out that under the governor's proposal, those affected would not be able to live within about 1/2 of a mile from any school. Given the density of schools in urban and suburban areas, she surmised, this would mean that all of these people branded as sex offenders would have to be moved to more rural counties. Do you really think that those people want everyone in the State of California who has been convicted of a sex crime to be banished to their counties? And, of course, those rural counties are far more Republican leaning than most of the state. So the Republican governor repays them by forcing all of the state's rapists and child molestors to live in their neighborhoods?

Methinks the governor didn't think very carefully about his proposal before he released the details to the press. ;-)

Guest zipperzone

What the article didn't mention was

>what was meant by "sex offenders." I didn't see anything

>which restricted the crimes to violent offenses or offenses

>against children. Does anyone reading this know if the

>intention is to put tracking devices of anyone convicting of

>attempting to solicit a #### (or attempting to solicit a

>john)? It seems that anyone with such a tracking device

>couldn't really function in society. Would they be able to

>leave the state or country?

This sounds like something Hitler would have thought of if tracking ability was available in his time.

Then again, why would we be surprised, given the gov's ethnic background. I know he's Austrian - not German, but in my mind there's very little differance.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.