God Bless Cindy Sheehan

glutes

This topic is 5991 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Cindy Sheehan to Be Arrested

According to a poster on Daily Kos, Cindy Sheehan, a mother whose son was killed in Iraq, has been informed that she and her group will be arrested Thursday as a "threat to national security" for protesting the war on a road near Bush's "ranch" in Crawford, Texas. Cindy says that she and others plan to be arrested.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Bush, on vacation at his Crawford ranch, has staked his reputation on talking tough. "Bring 'em on!" he blustered many lives ago.

Well, the folks back home have brought one on for him: Cindy Sheehan. Or rather, she has brought on herself, driven by the memory of her dead son.

As of Monday evening, Bush had not even peeked over his fence at Sheehan to say "boo." It would be interesting to hear what tough words he might have for Sheehan -- or she for him.

Presumably, we won't know until someone persuades Karl Rove, otherwise so adept at shoving people into the line of fire, to "bring 'im out."

Guest zipperzone

>Cindy Sheehan to Be Arrested

>

>According to a poster on Daily Kos, Cindy Sheehan, a mother

>whose son was killed in Iraq, has been informed that she and

>her group will be arrested Thursday as a "threat to national

>security" for protesting the war on a road near Bush's "ranch"

>in Crawford, Texas. Cindy says that she and others plan to be

>arrested.

If Bush is stupid enough to have her arrested (and he probably is) he will be courting a public relations disaster second to none.

"Threat to National Security" - how pathetic is that?

I would like to remind everyone that Cindy has ALREADY met with Bush and had an opportunity to say whatever she wanted to to him then.

She is now wanting to talk to him AGAIN. She wants a second bite of the apple and, frankly, she isn't entitled to one nor is the President even remotely obligated to meet with her again.

Let's all put politics aside and be realistic. If the President met with every person who decided to camp outside the White House or Crawford, Texas, or wherever, then he would constantly be meeting people. We're talking about the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES here folks. If he meets with her again it's going to set a horrible precedent and people will be flocking to wherever the President is and demanding he meet with them.

Like I said, she has already met with the President about this and now she's exploiting the death of her son. Frankly, what she's doing is contemptible and even her family has asked her to stop it.

If she doesn't leave and she in fact is breaking some law, she should be arrested.

Frankly yours,

FFF

>Let's all put politics aside and be realistic. If the

>President met with every person who decided to camp outside

>the White House or Crawford, Texas, or wherever, then he would

>constantly be meeting people. We're talking about the

>PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES here folks. If he meets with

>her again it's going to set a horrible precedent and people

>will be flocking to wherever the President is and demanding he

>meet with them.

A horrible precedent indeed! That would mean that Bush might have to talk to someone outside a very structured town hall meeting where all the participants are hand picked and have to subscribe to the Bush agenda. Scandalous.

>Like I said, she has already met with the President about this

>and now she's exploiting the death of her son. Frankly, what

>she's doing is contemptible and even her family has asked her

>to stop it.

FFF, for shame. Here you are regurgitating neocon talking points without anything to back them up. Her family? How about an aunt? The rest of her family supports her.

What Cindy Sheehan is doing is in the best tradition of American dissent. It's about time that someone stood up to the Bush and started holding him accountable for his actions. What is beneath contempt is the smear campaign being orchestrated against her by the RNC and Fox "News" which you so gleefully participate in here.

Cindy Sheehan and her son are Great Americans and Cindy deserves our support.

Arianna Huffington responds to FFF's talking points

The right wing attacks on Cindy Sheehan -- desperate, pathetic, and grasping at straws -- expose much less about their target than about the attackers. I mean, trying to slime a grieving Gold Star mom because she is inconveniently questioning the reasons her son was sent off to die in Iraq? Why that would be like trashing a much-decorated war hero or outing an undercover CIA agent… Oh, right. How much longer can the Bushies get away with mauling the very values they profess to stand for before their supporters start getting wise to the fact that the only value they really value is power?

After the Cindy as Flip-Flopper story was revealed as a very poorly done hatchet job, a second load of sludge was quickly dumped: the ludicrous statement from the (ahem) “Sheehan Family” condemning Cindy’s “political motivations and publicity tactics”. Where do I start with this piece of manufactured offal? The only name attached to the “Sheehan Family” statement belongs to Cherie Quartarolo who describes herself as Casey’s aunt and godmother. So did I miss something? Since when does godmother outrank mother? What I really want to know is: how does Casey’s second-cousin-twice-removed feel about Cindy’s vigil? How about his ex-brother-in-law’s cleaning lady?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

RE: Arianna Huffington responds to FFF's talking points

BoN,

Thanks for the comments and the link to the Huffington Report.

I have followed this story from a distance. Seeing the extreme right wing response has forced me to take a closer look. Everyday, it seems, we as a people are being forced to swallow the whole enchilada (so to speak) without question. We'll be walking in goose step time if this keeps up.

Anyway, thanks again for the link.

Am I wrong, or was there a time when Arianna was a talking head for the republican right? What did I miss? I seem to remember seeing her on those drama shows like Crossfire and others, and she was always in the chair on the right. She doesn't seem to have much good to say about Bush now.

As Ed McMahon once said (or more than once): You are correct, sir.

Arianna has seen the error of her Republican ways and has denounced the dark side.

What the Republicans are doing to Cindy is unconscionable. This has the potential to backfire dramtically for them in the 06 elections, so I hope they will continue for the sake of our country.

Fox "News" continues to prove that they are Fairly Unbalanced as they are acting as a the propoganda machine for the GOP. The type of smear campaign they are engagted in is unprecedented.

I am really disappointed in FFF. Usually his posts are nothing short of brilliant, but here he simply repeats Republican talking points that have been thoroughly debunked and are only continuing to be spread by Fox "News" and other right wing opportunists. FFF is never this intellectually lazy so it surprises me that he has fallen for this garbage.

BoN,

I agree with you that the smear campaign is beneath contempt. They did much the same thing with the Schiavo case in Florida. Of course the autopsy later showed that the senate "doctor" was all wet. Lately I am ashamed of our government (not ashamed of being an American). I travelled to London and Ireland 6 months after 911, and the warmth and compassion from the people there for Americans was overwhelming. The last two trips to Brasil I have noticed a distinct shift in world opinion of America. It is sad and maddening. I also hope as you do that the mid-term elections will begin a road back to sanity and reason for our country.

Both this case and the Schiavo case will have repercussions in '06, I believe. Dr. Frisk, who is retiring from the Senate had Presidential ambitions, but his quak diagnosis of Terry from a video has alienated moderate Republicans, and his recent stance on stem cell research has aliented the Krischun Reich, so he is basically up shit creek.

>FFF, for shame. Here you are regurgitating neocon talking

>points without anything to back them up. Her family? How

>about an aunt? The rest of her family supports her.

Except, of course, for her "grandparents, aunts, uncles and numerous cousins."

Sheehan Family Statement:

The Sheehan Family lost our beloved Casey in the Iraq War and we have been silently, respectfully grieving. We do not agree with the political motivations and publicity tactics of Cindy Sheehan. She now appears to be promoting her own personal agenda and notoriety at the the expense of her son's good name and reputation. The rest of the Sheehan Family supports the troops, our country, and our President, silently, with prayer and respect.

Sincerely,

Casey Sheehan's grandparents, aunts, uncles and numerous cousins.

I guess Cindy's husband couldn't sign it because he was too busy filing divorce papers against her. As for her parents, mothers and fathers generally stand by their children even when they're serial killers so it's no suprise they chose to sit this one out.

Ms. Sheehan, when not alternating between giving countless interviews and bemoaning how it's become a media circus and retracting statements that she didn't write emails that she now admits she wrote, is entitled to protest all she wants. Thank God we live in the US - however, she's not entitled to MULTIPLE meetings with the President of the United States. And THAT, whether you like it or not, is THE issue on the table. Bush knows full well what Cindy wants to say and she had the opportunity to say it the FIRST time she met him. However, since that FIRST face-to-face meeting, the Looney Left has thrown gasoline on her new-found anger and ignited the mediawhore she's now become. (I had to put it with "media" or else it comes out #####)

There is a legitimate role for the anti-war protesters and I applaude them. However, the Left has hitched its wagon to a woman who it obviously unhinged. All you have to do is pay attention to what the woman is saying and how's she saying it to realize she's a nutcase.

I'm sorry she lost her son, but it would be best for everyone - especially the Left - if she packed her bags and went home. However, she won't, and frankly, the longer she makes a fool of herself, the more it hurts the Looney Left so, deep down, I hope she follows Bush around like Donnie follows his mother.

Keep up the great work Cindy!

Patriotically yours,

FFF

I am beginning to like her more & more! From GrudgeReport :

CINDY UNLEASHED: 'THE BIGGEST TERRORIST IN THE WORLD IS GEORGE W. BUSH'

Wed Aug 17 2005 21:51:56 ET

"We are not waging a war on terror in this country. We’re waging a war of terror. The biggest terrorist in the world is George W. Bush!"

So declared Cindy Sheehan earlier this year during a rally at San Francisco State University.

Sheehan, who is demanding a second meeting with Bush, stated: "We are waging a nuclear war in Iraq right now. That country is contaminated. It will be contaminated for practically eternity now."

Sheehan unleashed a foul-mouth tirade on April 27, 2005:

"They’re a bunch of fucking hypocrites! And we need to, we just need to rise up..." Sheehan said of the Bush administration.

"If George Bush believes his rhetoric and his bullshit, that this is a war for freedom and democracy, that he is spreading freedom and democracy, does he think every person he kills makes Iraq more free?"

"The whole world is damaged. Our humanity is damaged. If he thinks that it’s so important for Iraq to have a U.S.-imposed sense of freedom and democracy, then he needs to sign up his two little party-animal girls. They need to go to this war."

"We want our country back and, if we have to impeach everybody from George Bush down to the person who picks up dog shit in Washington, we will impeach all those people."

Now it seems that there are going to be counter protests from supporters of the Iraq war who also have lost loved ones, but believe that they did not die in vain. This whole war in Iraq has divided this country and there are many people angry on both sides. It's a shame that there are so many victims to this war and that the scars may never heal for some. I feel sympathy for Cindy Sheehan, no one deserves to suffer the torment that she and countless others are going through.

It would be the right thing for Mr Bush to at least talk to Miss Sheehan and countless others regardless of whether one is a supporter or not in the war in Iraq. They just want to hear from the President Of The United States and that he's not turning a blind eye to their grievences.

Rohale

Guest Fisher

rohale posted:

>>It would be the right thing for Mr Bush to at least talk to

>>Miss Sheehan

fff replied:

>For the 8,394th time: HE HAS ALREADY SPOKEN TO CINDY SHEENAN. She

>wants to talk to him AGAIN.

Yes and a president should ONLY talk to a Gold Star

Mother once – correct? I’ll bet come next spring when

Bush makes his next State-of –the-Union Address there

will be a few Gold Star Mothers that he has met before

and who support the war sitting right next to Laura up

in the balcony.

He certainly has no problem meeting with his gay-bashing

benefactors/puppet masters on multiple occasions:

George W. Bush – the finest President money could buy.

One of the reasons he doesn’t want to meet with Ms Sheehan

is a question she reportedly wants to ask him: ‘if he

encouraged either of his daughters to join the military.’

Bush refuses to meet with her because he is a coward and

is either too afraid or embarrassed to meet with someone

whose life his ill conceived actions devastated.

Cheers,

Fisher

P.S. Godspeed to all you virulent pro-Iraqi war posters,

because I am sure you are reading this post from your lap

top somewhere in dusty Iraq or so other place in harms way.

I may disagree with your opinion on the war, but at least

you are honorable enough to stand behind your

convictions – right?

We already know it's not going to happen.

Bush Caeser couldn't give a crap less about CIndy or her dead son.

The only group trying to use Cindy Sheehan for political advantage is the GOP with Fox "News" far and away leading hte campaign against her.

Cindy Sheehan is a great american, her son Casey greater, and you Republicans should be ashamed of trying to turn Cindy into a politcal tool.

Well President Bush maybe ignoring Cindy Sheehan for the time being, but I doubt that his advisors will be ignoring former Georgia Senator Max Cleland who provided the Democratic response to the President's weekly radio address this morning. To those of you who may not know who Max Cleland is, I will try to elaborate just a little bit. Max Cleland is a former Vietnam veteran, due to the war, he lost three of his limbs and is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Years later when he was elected Senator he became friends with John McCain and John Kerry. In 2002 when the Republicans were viciously accusing the democrats of being soft on national security, one of the casualties was Max Cleland. Despite having supported President Bush on Homeland Security and it's funding, he was labeled as weak and unpatriotic. Again this is a guy whose body was sacrificed for god and country unlike George W Bush and Dick Cheney.

I thought it was nice that he delivered the rebutal to Mr Bush earlier today. One of the points he made was that there are thus far over 15,000 wounded soldiers from the Iraq war. Some units are now coming back from their third tour of duty. Unfortunately no one seems to be talking about the number of injured soldiers coming back, let alone the tours of duty that these soldiers are having to do. It makes me angry that the media is afraid to talk about these things.

Guest Fisher

Unfortunately I think only some of the media is afraid

to report on the injured US soldiers - for the remainder

of the media it is a calculated decession.

Sure they occasionally show an amputee struggling to get on

with his/her new life, but the amputee is always either for

the war or entirely silent about it.

Cheers,

Fisher

>you Republicans should be ashamed of trying to turn Cindy into a politcal tool.

Isn't amazing how the Looney Left can say things like that with a straight face?

Excuse me, but it's THE LEFT who's using her as a tool.

You can't "use" someone when you're ignoring them.

Obviously yours,

FFF

> To those of you who may not know who Max Cleland is, I will

>try to elaborate just a little bit. Max Cleland is a former

>Vietnam veteran

I'm confused. How can someone become a "former" veteran? Do they have to go back to war?

>due to the war, he lost three of his limbs

>and is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Oh how I hate to do this but I must. The Dems love championing Max Clelland's heroism in regards to his loss of his limbs. Although, Max Clelland is a true hero for fighting for his nation in Vietnam and I salute him for that, he did not, however, lose his limbs doing something heroic. The FACT is that he was on the base in Vietnam and was on a helicopter that was just starting to lift off when he decided to jump off and go with his buddies to get a beer instead of where the helicopter was headed (which was NOT into battle). As he was walking away from the helicopter he saw a grenade on the ground, picked it up thinking it wasn't live, and it blew up in his hand - taking three limbs with it. Even Clelland has rejected the characterization of his accident as being herioc.

However, the Dems will gladly wheel him out anytime they need a photo-op.

>Unfortunately no one seems to be talking about the number of

>injured soldiers coming back,

Are you JOKING??? If they're not being allowed to talk about it, then how is it that they're talking about it and you're hearing about it?

>It makes me angry that the

>media is afraid to talk about these things.

You need to stop watching The Food Channel and watch, CNN, ABC, NBC, PBS, CBS or read The New York Times, The Washington Post, The LA Times, USA Today, Newsweek, or TIME.

I know all of these are obscure outlets, but try and find them.

Helpfully yours,

FFF

>You can't "use" someone when you're ignoring them.

>

>Obviously yours,

>

>FFF

Ignoring them??? FFF, you've sunk to a new low with deliberate lying.

Fox "News" has been running a smear campaign against her non stop. You used to be more clever than this.

Fox "News" 8/20/05:

Fred Barnes asked, "Is Cindy Sheehan a grieving mother or tool of the left wing." This question, of course,has been asked and answered by Fox all week. O'Reilly bragged that Fox was responsible for first reporting Cindy Sheehan's far left leanings and he went after the media for showing Sheehan in a positive light. Today on Beltway Boys, Fred Barnes spewed all the negative smears once again for his viewers but at least he didn't call her a crackpot like last week.

Brian Wilson, subbing for Brit Hume on Special Report 8/19/05, made mention in The Grapevine segment of a Cindy Sheehan supporter in Crawford who would not talk to a Fox interviewer there.

Thursday 8/18

Right now (11:15 p.m. ET, August 18, 2005) FoxNews.com is reporting that Cindy Sheehan "Leaves Camp After Mother's Stroke." Immediately below that, FoxNews.com links to a story about Dick Cheney honoring "Troops With War Win."

Bill O'Reilly has put a lot of effort into his anti-Cindy Sheehan campaign and he's had little success. More and more people are drawn to Sheehan and her cause each day and O'Reilly seemed frustrated and perplexed that he had failed to sway public opinion and influence the media. So tonight he went after the media accusing them of deceit and claiming that they are driven by "blind hatred of George Bush" because they won't discredit Sheehan. 8/18/05

Cindy Sheehan was the topic of a segment on Your World today (August 18, 2005) that seems to have been produced for the sole purpose of planting the idea that a desperate Democratic party is turning Cindy Sheehan into a "cash cow."

"Sheehan Cashin' In" was the preliminary title but it quickly expanded in a chyron that appeared throughout the segment to "Money-Maker for the Democratic Party?"

Substitute host Brenda Buttner opened with: "So, think about this, Cindy Sheehan a cash cow for the Democratic party. We know she's quickly becoming a poster mom for the anti-war movement, and if one of my next guests is right, she could be a big money-maker too. He's Ellis Henican..." Buttner introduced Henican, a Fox News "political contributor" (he's supposedly one of Fox's "liberals") and a writer for Newsday, and Kellyanne Conway, a Republican strategist, who "says no way." 8-18-05

Judging from the intensity of the attacks against her, the right must be very worried about Cindy Sheehan. Last night, G. Gordon Liddy tried to convince Alan Colmes that Sheehan and her supporters are anti-Semitic. Given some of Liddy's own background, he looks an awful lot like a pot calling the kettle black.

http://www.newshounds.us

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.