United Airlines practicing censorship?

kjun

This topic is 6023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sam Apple has produced a parody of the Bush administration and won an award from the William Faulknew write-alike contest. The story is accordig to AP a scathing parody that likens Bush to an idiot. The sponsor, United Airlines has decided not to publish the article in, Hemispheres, its magazine found on all of its airplanes. The story can only be found on its website and is practically impossible to locate. Why is this? Could it be fear of the Bush administration? They deny the censorship allegation but ...

the Cajun

>Sam Apple has produced a parody of the Bush administration

>and won an award from the William Faulknew write-alike

>contest. The story is accordig to AP a scathing parody that

>likens Bush to an idiot. The sponsor, United Airlines has

>decided not to publish the article in, Hemispheres, its

>magazine found on all of its airplanes. The story can only be

>found on its website and is practically impossible to locate.

>Why is this? Could it be fear of the Bush administration?

>They deny the censorship allegation but ...

>

>the Cajun

well hell this should give your little teenie weenie a woody,after all YOU are a proponent of censorship yourself.....or is it only selective censorship.......only what you want censored,hmmmmmm sounds like hyprocrisy to me.

The Hemisperes website was referenced in the magazine where they said they only published the winner for Hemingway and the 2nd for Faulkner or vice versa and encourgaged you to go there to read the first second and third place finishers for both. Whether there was motivation not to print the more controversial winner in the magazine would take more study. I will say they certainly seem to have a lot less content in the magazine lately with a lot more ads, but hey they're trying to wring every dime out of everything these days.

Why is a company in bankruptcy wasting money sponsoring a writing contest? Ever since United becamd union owned ( or more politically correct "employee owned" ) they've continued to go down hill. lose more money, and give poorer service. Their employees are already the best compensated in the industry and they continually want more. In my company there is one travel rule..NEVER fly United.

The quicker they destruct the better.

I always try to buy from and support non-union companies. In this case hometown airlines Delta and Airtran. Southwest is also

non-union and I believe so is America West.

American and Continental are union. In any case JUST SAY NO to those jerks called United.

By the way, great articles in the WSJ and all papers today about union membership in this country has dropped to an all time low

of 7% of the workforce and the rebellion and falling apart of the AFL-CIO.

It all depends on where you live and where you travel. Most of the companies you've noted do have unions-especially Delta, even Southwest is partially organized. They just get along with them better, but guys I suspect most of us would be unhappy if our pensions had just gone down the tubes and our salaries had been cut by 10 to 25% or more over the last few years.

Whose fault is it that the rules changed a couple of years ago? Deregulation and then the 9/11 hit irrevocably changed the airline industry forever. Management and the unions can probably both share in the blame game in the big 5's descent into trouble, but it really doesn't get us anywhere at this point.

Where I live and where I fly my choices are United and USAIR, both in bankruptcy and let me tell you I pray for United every time I fly. USAIR has really gotten worse-talk about snotty flight attendents and poor customer service, and baggage that takes forever to make it onto the belt- makes United look like the Gold Standard. United has maintained a very good on time record and the staff is generally courteous, if not particularly happy. Don't know how the combined AmericaWest USAIR will fare, but here's hoping the AmericaWest culture comes thru even though they are keeping the USAIR name. It can't be anyworse than USAIR. Northwest and Delta are both flirting with bankruptcy court, and NW has now got the highest labor rates in the industy.

I have flown for a long time and still fly fairly frequently. As my waistline expands and my knees stiffen, I miss the creature comforts which are slowly but surely disappearing, but the fares are certainly considerably cheaper than they were even 10 years ago. C'est la vie.

I agree with Ted about US Air. I tried them once and never again. I let their cheap fare overdo my brain and that's what I got...cheap service in every way.

I disagree with Ted that Delta is unionized. I know quite a few Delta employees in various jobs for Delta here in Atlanta and none of them are members of a union. Also from the articles I have read written by the CEO of Southwest Airlines (can't remember his name) he says none of their employees are unionized.

Like the other guy above says, most of the major airlines are thankfully based in the South and should be fully supported.

"Delta Air Lines Inc. took a giant step away from bankruptcy with a tentative agreement on contract concessions from its pilots.

But details on the proposal reached Wednesday were withheld while it was reviewed by the pilots' union, so it was unclear whether it included the $1 billion in concessions Delta said it needed from its 7,000 pilots"

"Southwest Airlines has consistently been successful in terms of profitability, good employee and union relations, and customer satisfaction – at a time when most airline carriers are struggling in all these areas. Central to the company's success is a culture of flexibility, family-orientation, and fun..."

The three biggies for the airlines are the pilots, the mechanics and the flight attendents unions - practically all the airlines have to deal with the pilots union. I don't think Delta has either flight attendents or mechanics organized, but they definitely have to contend with the pilots union. I really don't think it matters whether a particular company has unions or not; what matters is how they deal with their employees and business.

Guest Merlin

Since a large percentage of Americans support Bush, it would be stupid for a company to publish anti-Bush material in its advertising magazine.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.